Ships of Shame - Sixty Minutes

My observations of P&O Australia are based upon having sailed on three of their ships. It is a truly terrible cruise-line and now that there are meaningful alternatives in this part of the World there is no chance I will ever sail with them again.

The only way to positively rate a P&O cruise must surely be to have nothing to compare it against.

3 ships!? Really!? If they're really that bad, surely that makes you a glutton for punishment. If it was that bad, why sail with them several times more (after your first)?

My observations of P&O Australia are based upon having sailed on three of their ships. It is a truly terrible cruise-line and now that there are meaningful alternatives in this part of the World there is no chance I will ever sail with them again.

The only way to positively rate a P&O cruise must surely be to have nothing to compare it against.

This is a sweeping statement. I don't mind if don't like P&O but it is an incorrect statement to say that the only way to rate it positively is to have nothing to compare it against. Wow!!

We enjoy our cruises on P&O and we have quite a lot to compare it with.

We have cruised on the four current ships operated by P&O Australia, as well as ships previously operated by P&O and other lines including Princess, Holland America, Carnival and other smaller overseas lines that are not well-known.

Like I said I said what I have to say.

1.) I think anyone is free to criticise any ship or line

2.) I think anyone is free to praise their favourites when they do well.

3.) No one has the right to mock, or tell other people their opinion is wrong.

The section I have high-lighted is so funny. :DThe impression I get on reading some of your posts if that are telling people who enjoy P&O that their opinion is wrong.

If, from the reports you have heard, that you don't feel P&O is the cruiseline for you, then you shouldn't go on it, but don't insult people who do. P&O must be doing something right to fill their ships cruise after cruise.

I have to agree with some of the other comments that we have heard the same stories from you many, many, many times. This would be reasonable if there were always new people reading these posts, but unfortunately it is the same group with only an occasional 'newbie'. Such negative posts can put these newbies off or unnecessarily alarm them.

I was not going to add to this tiresome and blatant P&O bashing thread however I've had enough of seeing others being told they don't know any better for cruising with P&O. People who have such perceived grievances with P&O that they show such bitterness towards them, should go directly to the company, not incessantly bore us to death with this pathetic one-upmanship.

I have been on ships in the days when we dressed well for dinner every night and etiquette and good manners were the norm, AND I have lately had four cruises on Pacific Dawn and one on Sun Princess which were all truly very enjoyable. If I complained about my experiences with P&O, I would be lying. The ship was always clean, food and entertainment well presented and staff helpful. I have always been treated by their staff with courtesy and respect, which is more than I can say for some experiences on this forum. On a cruise, the people with whom I interact add more to the experience for me than the so-called glitz and glamour of the newer type of ships, although I'm sure, with the right company, they would be great as well.

For goodness sake, let us get back to helping newcomers to this forum and sharing in some interesting discussions and, of course, some humour. A good laugh is good for the soul.

Oh, and one last thing! :cool: You'd better be good or the Easter Bunny won't visit tonight. :D

Two months ago we did our first non P&O cruise (apart from my Australis & Fairstar which was long before my hubby & kids), cruising on Rhapsody of the Seas. We had a great time and the ship is lovely....BUT........give me P&O anytime over RCI. Service & friendliness of the crew is way better on P&O, food on a par (but I will admit the dinner menu was better on RCI....not the food itself. But brekky & lunch menu better on P&O). And the cabins are WAY WAY better & bigger on all 3 P&O ships I've been on compared to Rhapsody.

And, I'm stating this from experience, not here-say as others seem to do.

I think the man is entitled to his opinion and express that the line is rubbish. Anyone should be allowed to do that and not be abused by a very small minority of cruisers whos names on here are less than 10 and dont even represent .000000001% of the cruising world.

Even people who have not tried a line are entitled to criticise it as it shows the lines reputation in the eyes of the public by virtue of knowing others who have gone and experiences.

Cruise lines do care about public opinion and they have people in marketing paid to monitor this and advertise their cruises to appeal.

I think the man is entitled to his opinion and express that the line is rubbish. Anyone should be allowed to do that and not be abused by a very small minority of cruisers whos names on here are less than 10 and dont even represent .000000001% of the cruising world.

Even people who have not tried a line are entitled to criticise it as it shows the lines reputation in the eyes of the public by virtue of knowing others who have gone and experiences.

Cruise lines do care about public opinion and they have people in marketing paid to monitor this and advertise their cruises to appeal.

well said:D

well said:D

I always let people criticise and listen. Even my favourite ships get criticised. I dont care.

I always put my opinion across and do not single out anyone if my opinion differs.

Some people on here like the ones above who have abused this poor man should learn to let others have their say.

can't understand if it was so terrible in cruise 1 and 2 Why you bothered with a third cruise?

can't understand if it was so terrible in cruise 1 and 2 Why you bothered with a third cruise?

You may have noticed in my post that I referred to the availability of meaningful alternatives?

In the last couple of years there has been an explosion of alternative options running much the same itineraries and there is now no need to bother with P&O; and oh my gosh P&O have noticed this too haven't they? They now have those old hand-me-downs from Princess draging them into the norm of cruising as it was ten years ago and the almighty rust-bucket the Sun is about to go at long last too.

It's of course fine to enjoy a cruise on P&O and likely you might especially enjoy it if you knew no better that the price you were paying was not buying an experience of the quality offered in other markets.

Being on a cruise is better than not being on one, but getting a fair experience for your cruising dollar is better still.

Really this type of conversation can go nowhere further that is useful. If you're a die-hard card-carrying P&O supporter then good on you. Me, I'm different - I prefer to get something better.

You may have noticed in my post that I referred to the availability of meaningful alternatives?

In the last couple of years there has been an explosion of alternative options running much the same itineraries and there is now no need to bother with P&O; and oh my gosh P&O have noticed this too haven't they? They now have those old hand-me-downs from Princess draging them into the norm of cruising as it was ten years ago and the almighty rust-bucket the Sun is about to go at long last too.

It's of course fine to enjoy a cruise on P&O and likely you might especially enjoy it if you knew no better that the price you were paying was not buying an experience of the quality offered in other markets.

Being on a cruise is better than not being on one, but getting a fair experience for your cruising dollar is better still.

Really this type of conversation can go nowhere further that is useful. If you're a die-hard card-carrying P&O supporter then good on you. Me, I'm different - I prefer to get something better.

Here, Here. Well said. We recently decided to try P&O (Pacific Sun) Never again, bad ship, uncaring staff, bad food. The whole experience was aweful. And we have cruised with other international lines and there is no comparison. God help the poor Carnival Spirit and what P&O is going to do to her. As you said MrYellowDuck you can talk until you are blue in the face. Unless they have tried other cruiselines they will never know. Their loss our gain.

Here, Here. Well said. We recently decided to try P&O (Pacific Sun) Never again, bad ship, uncaring staff, bad food. The whole experience was aweful. And we have cruised with other international lines and there is no comparison. God help the poor Carnival Spirit and what P&O is going to do to her. As you said MrYellowDuck you can talk until you are blue in the face. Unless they have tried other cruiselines they will never know. Their loss our gain.

this is boring....sail on whatever cruise line you like....hell i have sailed on just about all....never had a bad cruise....yep some ships i rate as crap others great.....but will it stop me sailing on them.....NO

this is boring....sail on whatever cruise line you like....hell i have sailed on just about all....never had a bad cruise....yep some ships i rate as crap others great.....but will it stop me sailing on them.....NO

Col, I agree with you. Mind-blowingly boring. Sad to see some people can't get over these things. Most of us will have far worse to contend with in our lifetime. The "Ignore" button here is a very useful adjunct. :):):)

Totally agree, time to change the record.

In all fairness to Ausie2324, who has just joined this thread, he/she may not be aware of the repetitive nature of this story being told on numerous threads.

My opinion is that all cruise lines have their good and bad. We all know of cruises where some people have the time of their life and others hate it. I also see these things as positive otherwise we would all be on the same ship and never ever be able to get a booking.

However, I do find the last statement in Ausie2324's post a bit offensive. "Unless they have tried other cruiselines they will never know. Their loss our gain." I have tried other lines, NCL and RCI, and still find some things about P&O and their way of cruising better. If I was pushed to name a favorite it would be NCL as their style of cruising suited my family well.

So you can talk to you are blue in the face but I will not listen as I have been on P&O and other lines and have an opinion as well. My only regret is thinking that I may be on another line, other than P&O, with somebody with an attitude like you.

I agree I think the moderators should close this thread.

No one is suggesting Sutho, or anyone else for that matter you should not have an opinion..what they are objecting to is trotting out the same old complaint time and time again...

If you issues about a cruise you have recently taken..then of course you are entitled to air it here..just keep it current. On the other hand many Australians love their P & O cruises and it is insulting to insinuate that they only put up with, what is in your opinion, sub standard cruises because they dont know any better.

As our market is grows with new ships and hopefully more varied itineraries out of Australia..the market will decide. If any line cannot fill their ships then they will have to make changes to remain competitive and provide the passengers with a level of services and facilities they want at a price they are willing to pay.

I dont think constantly bashing any particular cruise line here does anything to raise standards and just puts people off reading your comments and does nothing to instil confidence in first time cruisers.

I believe people join CC to share our love of cruising and insider knowledge about places and ships to enhance their cruising experience lets keep it that way....please.

Sue

Wow, you go to bed, have a great night's sleep, wake up, check CC and this nonsense (and that's not the word I was originally gonna use) is STILL going on.

You know what, if you don't want to sail P&O Australia (or some other line), don't! Just don't judge those who do and enjoy their cruises. This is like a bloody schoolyard sometimes. No one is better than anyone else! If you think you're better than the rest of us, get over yourself and go somewhere else! Try contributing something meaningful (as you sometimes do) and stop spouting the same old "nonsense" (once again, not my first choice of words) that we've heard over and over again. It's like a broken record!

Happy Easter everyone! Eat a chocolate egg and chill out already!

Col, I agree with you. Mind-blowingly boring. Sad to see some people can't get over these things. Most of us will have far worse to contend with in our lifetime. The "Ignore" button here is a very useful adjunct. :):):)

i dont care if one cruise line ships have bigger cabins and the food is better on one than the other......i only need a bed to sleep in and a restaruant that feeds me...i certainly do not judge cruise lines by accommodation and food....no cruise line goes out to spoil your holiday ...things like breakdowns and problems occurs just like your house or car.....nobody plans these things to happen.I am happiest when i am on the sea on a cruise ship sharing the cruise with my love ones and friends....that more to me than anything....if something happens and they will despite the cruise line ...get over it and make the most of it.

that my last say..this thread is ......boring

Wow, you go to bed, have a great night's sleep, wake up, check CC and this nonsense (and that's not the word I was originally gonna use) is STILL going on.

You know what, if you don't want to sail P&O Australia (or some other line), don't! Just don't judge those who do and enjoy their cruises. This is like a bloody schoolyard sometimes. No one is better than anyone else! If you think you're better than the rest of us, get over yourself and go somewhere else! Try contributing something meaningful (as you sometimes do) and stop spouting the same old "nonsense" (once again, not my first choice of words) that we've heard over and over again. It's like a broken record!

Happy Easter everyone! Eat a chocolate egg and chill out already!

But its the likes of you and your comments that are starting arguments and abusing others. All I have seen is you abuse people when they come on here and say they dont like P&O Australia!

Big deal! who cares! get over it!

They are entitled to their say and to express their views why not just let them do it and ignore it.

Getting back to the original topic. It will be interesting to see what they do broadcast. Will they name specific companies? If you search events at sea on the web there are a few companies that star regularly in regard to people missing, deaths and sexual assaults. Or i wonder is this going to be a rehash of previous reports?

Archived