Ships of Shame - Sixty Minutes

But its the likes of you and your comments that are starting arguments and abusing others. All I have seen is you abuse people when they come on here and say they dont like P&O Australia!

Big deal! who cares! get over it!

They are entitled to their say and to express their views why not just let them do it and ignore it.

Yes Sutho, clearly I'm the problem. I'm the one who sails P&O Oz, settles for their "mediocrity" and their "sick and twisted" management. The thousands of people who sail with them time and time again are so clueless and don't know any better. You are so right in everything you say! :rolleyes:

I don't agree with that. They clearly state that itinerary can change due to certain issues and you should read the T&C before you book.

I definitely agree that the lines have this covered in their terms and conditions, both prior to and during the course of the cruise. Not sure I agree that you should need to read it - and of course you do risk dissatisfaction if you don't - but that's where it's covered.

My opinion was based on the equity of the situation, not the legality. That said, some cruise lines do provide small credits when stops are cancelled as a couple of people have mentioned here.

I definitely agree that the lines have this covered in their terms and conditions, both prior to and during the course of the cruise. Not sure I agree that you should need to read it - and of course you do risk dissatisfaction if you don't - but that's where it's covered.

My opinion was based on the equity of the situation, not the legality. That said, some cruise lines do provide small credits when stops are cancelled as a couple of people have mentioned here.

I guess they would be refunding a portion of port taxes which you pay as part of the fare.

On tv at the same time as 60 minutes tonight, on the discovery channel, inside the Concordia. Just as interesting to cruisers I'm sure.
Yeah, they've repeated that one a few times recently. I recorded it during the week and watched in last night. There's some very interesting footage on there. The only thing that drove me mad was that the producers have obviously searched through youtube and taken everything on there at it's word. They presented footage of water flowing down the stairs of one of the Carnival ships (from a few years after one of the pools leaked) as footage from the Concordia. Some idiot on youtube renamed the file as being from the Concordia so he'd get more hits on his video. It's definitely worth a look though. :)

Just look at what else is on at the same time tonight! Far, far, far more interesting in my opinion ............

SBS One and SBS HD - Ghosts of the Mary Rose

7:35pm - 8:30pm

Documentary- Repeat

The latest forensic techniques aid the investigation of one of the biggest unsolved mysteries in British history - the identity of the crew of the Mary Rose - and reveal a new explanation for why the Mary Rose sank.

i just saw the story on 60 mins and its a lot of crap....even the Rhapsody got a mention....we have cruised a lot and never had any trouble

out of all our cruises p&o aus have the best security

on facebook people are freaking out and going to cancel out of their cruise

I also watched the show. I felt they sensationalised the subject, but I think we all expected that. There are a few points that I feel they should have mentioned -

1. Most people who go overboard from cruiseships commit suicide. They are not murdered.

2. Unfortunately they brought up the sad case of Diane Brimble, but didn't mention that she went willingly to a much younager man's cabin at 1.30am. It would have been reasonable for her to assume that he was sharing a cabin and of course he was, with three others.

3. Evidence at the Coronial enquiry showed that she bought a lot of drinks on her cruise card (it was the first night of the cruise) and that she had consumed drugs after she went to the cabin.

4. It was assumed at first that Diane Brimble died from natural causes. Her death was investigated (very poorly) by NSW police (not police from a third world country).

Ridiculous...I started cruising in 1975 and I have never even see security needed for onboard behaviour...so either I am totally blind or ????

Sue

Hi Sue, no you are not blind...Security are doing their job...you just don't see it everywhere.

I have been on many cruises and many shipping lines, but I always come back to P&O.

I feel safe at all times even though I travel on my own a lot..(.husband gets cruised out.)

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

This story was actually run by 60 Minutes in the U.S. not too long ago. I'm pretty certain the interview with the parents of the girl from the Disney ship wasn't new. Basically all they did to try and make it local is film footage of Pacific Sun (which they showed constantly) and drag up the same Dianne Brimble story. Look, that whole situation was very sad. But it was 10 years ago now and the company is very different nowadays. For me, this story just puts 60 Minutes in the same category as Today Tonight and A Current Affair.

I never watch 60 minutes due to their bias and sensational reporting. I used to once upon a time............

This will hurt P&O because many people are not discerning....they believe what they see and hear, without further research or questioning. P&O will never escape the Brimble thing.....ever.

60 Minutes brought in Disney and RCL in an attempt to avoid the bias and attempted to put some focus on where ships are registered re the laws. Of course it isn't going to work..........because people will always focus on what they know.......Brimble and P&O's party ship persona from days gone.

I will say this, yesterday I was doing some promo work at the Easter Show as part of the Cruise Reporter thingy. Just about everyone that I spoke to wanted to avoid P&O....young and old. These are people who do not hang out on cruise boards....these are the masses who are interested in travel and perhaps cruising, the general public.

I will also say, there is some validity to part of this story, although overly hyped and sensationalised, you would have to be living under a rock if you didn't think this stuff happens regardless of the cruise line, especially on the 3 dayer trips.

As for the girl who said someone broke into her cabin on Rhapsody.........whilst her mum was doing something else.................hmmmmmmmmmm, sorry don't believe her story. Not saying it doesn't happen.....just her story would have previous history to get to that point.

The story of Aerosmith was interesting :D

I agree, i thought the report was very over-the-top and sensationalised, how often realistically do you hear a story of a serious crime happening on a cruise ship (in Australian waters specifically) there are more crimes that go unjustified in different tourist destinations around the world then on ships. smh

Ho hum, sounds as though I didn't miss anything. :rolleyes: Incidentally, the Mary Rose doco was very interesting - skeletons and all.:):):)

Think you might have been rrrrrrrrrright, gosh that was hard to say. Lol

I love their logic. They saying how horrible it is that Australian Police don't investigate the crimes committed onboard the ships. What they basically want is for Australian Police to investigate a crime that happened in Malta (Pacific Sun), as that's basically the nationality of the ship as soon as its in international waters. Not surprising they left out the rest of the P&O fleet due to them all being registered in the UK, which allows Australian Police more power.

Would you believe that after all the hype & crap on these boards over the last few days..................I forgot about it:o. Does anyone know where I can see it online? I'm having trouble finding it.

Archived