My extensive Pearl review with pics and SURPRISE

mitsugirly

Thanks Eileen. Yep, it's coming quick and I'm not even prepared. We have 11 days until we leave. I definitely need this vacation...one way or another. I'm in finals now for the next 2 weeks and it's killing me. My Nursing final for Med Surg is tomorrow and my Pharm is next Tuesday then off we go. Woo Weeeeeee. :)

WOW! It's crunch time! Best of Luck with your exams. Just remember, Blue Skies, Calm Seas and Beautiful Beaches are on your horizon. I know, cheezy, but it's all I could come up with. :p Best Wishes with everything....... :D

WOW! It's crunch time! Best of Luck with your exams. Just remember, Blue Skies, Calm Seas and Beautiful Beaches are on your horizon. I know, cheezy, but it's all I could come up with. :p Best Wishes with everything....... :D

Thanks. I really need it. I can't stop thinking about my upcoming cruise and today it is nasty out and raining and I just want to head to my cruise. Getting ants in my pants right now...itching to go.

• 2 months later...
COZUMEL, MEXICO (CHANKANAAB)

We were in Cozumel 6 months ago and went to Chankanaab and it was by far our favorite port of the cruise. We knew when we booked the next cruise; we would like to include Cozumel again. As always, it did not disappoint.

IMG1414-M.jpg

A link to the rest of my pictures that day: http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Cozumel-Mexico-Chankanaab/22279582_dQxr8T#!i=1780078946&k=Fsd2TdZ

I know it's been a year, but I found the link to this review in a more recent post. Thanks for sharing your pictures and experience at Chankanaab. We've been to Cozumel eight times and have yet to visit Chankanaab. Your review helped me make the decision for our next cruise in August. Chankanaab here we come!

I know it's been a year, but I found the link to this review in a more recent post. Thanks for sharing your pictures and experience at Chankanaab. We've been to Cozumel eight times and have yet to visit Chankanaab. Your review helped me make the decision for our next cruise in August. Chankanaab here we come!

Awww. Have a great time. We still love Chankanaab the most. I do have 2 different Chankanaab reviews, so if you want more information, you can check out the other review as well (along with tons of more pictures) if you haven't already. :)

Great review!!! I noticed that everyone was basically standing or were able to stand in the water while snorkeling and with the sting rays.. Do you think it would be ok for someone who doesn't know how to swim?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, you can stand up in the water and you have life jackets on as well so I personally think it's a great place for those that can't swim to experience the ocean and the rays. :) We are going to be going again in December. We hope to go with the "actual" company we booked with this time around and have a better experience.

We were on the Pearl in March 2013 with the same itinerary and we were docked next to a Royal Caribbean in Cozumel. When we got back to the dock we experienced the same thing. It was so funny to see the people from the Royal Caribbean. We were partying and having a great time. Another couple from our ship says the Pearl does it every time in Cozumel. She said this one was bigger because it was the last cruise before they went into their 15 day dry dock and the last cruise in the Caribbean. It was fun to watch everyone!

I wasn't a huge fan of Jamaica. The people there scared me & they can't no for an answer. All I wanted to do was walk to the shops right near the port. We were asked at least 20 times by 20 different people if we wanted a ride! If I ever go back there I will look into an AI resort area.

Shannon

I think Jamaica is like that in general.. I spent a week at an AI resort and when we ventured off the resort they were like car salesmen!!! But the problem is that their economy is bad. And they don't see the money from the tourist resorts so they go CRAZY when they see tourist.. I just started asking them if this was free or is it a gift and they started to leave me alone!!

Another couple from our ship says the Pearl does it every time in Cozumel.

Shannon

It's not just the Pearl. It's a NCL thing. They do the "Welcome Back" party in Cozumel on your last cruise port day with all of their NCL ships that go there. They are a blast!!! :D

Great review and pictures... and WOW... You had quite the adventures on this vacation and previous ones too :eek:. Reads like a adventure spy novel. Getting frisked, led down dark alleyways, getting arrested for illegal hair braiding, conch slurping, biting monkeys! :eek:

OMG poor DD and the mean conch guy and woman. Glad she finally got her shell. :)

Edited by kylenyc

Great review and pictures... and WOW... You had quite the adventures on this vacation and previous ones too :eek:. Reads like a adventure spy novel. Getting frisked, led down dark alleyways, getting arrested for illegal hair braiding, conch slurping, biting monkeys! :eek:

OMG poor DD and the mean conch guy and woman. Glad she finally got her shell. :)

We always manage to have some type of adventure on vacation. There's never a dull moment in our lives. :D

I'm glad to report though (if you read my recent Dream review) that she has recovered from her monkey bites and held monkeys on our last cruise and now loves them again. ;)

Funny you brought up the conch...she actually was talking about hers today (that we PURCHASED because the meanie butts wouldn't GIVE her one) and the noise of the water inside of it, then she proceeded to draw pictures of shells. Then she insisted "When we go on our next cruise beach vacation, we have to find a purple shell. I love purple. It's my favorite color. I need a purple shell." She cracks me up. I had to break it to her that I don't think she'll find a purple sea shell and she would have to paint one that color. She said "ok, that's fine" LOL

We always manage to have some type of adventure on vacation. There's never a dull moment in our lives. :D

I'm glad to report though (if you read my recent Dream review) that she has recovered from her monkey bites and held monkeys on our last cruise and now loves them again. ;)

Funny you brought up the conch...she actually was talking about hers today (that we PURCHASED because the meanie butts wouldn't GIVE her one) and the noise of the water inside of it, then she proceeded to draw pictures of shells. Then she insisted "When we go on our next cruise beach vacation, we have to find a purple shell. I love purple. It's my favorite color. I need a purple shell." She cracks me up. I had to break it to her that I don't think she'll find a purple sea shell and she would have to paint one that color. She said "ok, that's fine" LOL

Out of the mouth of babes and braver than me. :)

And that picture of "meanie butts" is priceless. One of the best pictures ever. :p

Mitsugirly, thank you for your wonderfully colorful and in-depth review. I'm intending to follow in your footsteps on Grand Cayman and Cozumel, so if you don't mind I'd like to ask you a few questions:

When using ground transport in these places, did you need to have a booster seat for your little one, or was it OK to just ride in the regular seat? (My kids will be 7.5 and 5.5 YO when we go.)

Given your experience with Native Way, would you still be willing to try them (if they weren't giving you a fee excursion) or would you go for the ship's excursion? We want to visit the Turtle Farm and Stingray City.

At Chankanaab, can you buy a dolphin encounter independently of the cruise line? If so, do you do it in advance or when you get there? (We've never done one of these before, so I don't know how it works.)

We're thinking of visiting San Gervasio (Mayan ruins) and then Chankanaab. It sounds like I can have a taxi driver take us to San Gervasio, wait for us there, and then take us to Chankanaab. Do you know anything about that?

What kind of vehicle did they use? Van? Regular car? We have 4 people in my family, so I don't know how we'd fit in a regular car.

And finally . . . "Meanie Butt." Love it! (I mean, I love your name for her; I don't love what she did.)

Thanks!

Mitsugirly, thank you for your wonderfully colorful and in-depth review. I'm intending to follow in your footsteps on Grand Cayman and Cozumel, so if you don't mind I'd like to ask you a few questions:

When using ground transport in these places, did you need to have a booster seat for your little one, or was it OK to just ride in the regular seat? (My kids will be 7.5 and 5.5 YO when we go.)

Given your experience with Native Way, would you still be willing to try them (if they weren't giving you a fee excursion) or would you go for the ship's excursion? We want to visit the Turtle Farm and Stingray City.

At Chankanaab, can you buy a dolphin encounter independently of the cruise line? If so, do you do it in advance or when you get there? (We've never done one of these before, so I don't know how it works.)

We're thinking of visiting San Gervasio (Mayan ruins) and then Chankanaab. It sounds like I can have a taxi driver take us to San Gervasio, wait for us there, and then take us to Chankanaab. Do you know anything about that?

What kind of vehicle did they use? Van? Regular car? We have 4 people in my family, so I don't know how we'd fit in a regular car.

And finally . . . "Meanie Butt." Love it! (I mean, I love your name for her; I don't love what she did.)

Thanks!

You are very welcome for the review. I am also doing this itinerary again in 5 months, so following my own footsteps...well kinda. :D

Ok, so now to help you with my thoughts on your questions...

As for the children...booster seats, car seats, belt buckles and whatever else you want to mention...this is a very "sour" topic on here, especially on the family board. When people ask this question, people will snap your head off for even thinking about putting your child in any vehicle without a car seat or whatever. You will see people come on and say "You won't feel that way when you are coming back from your cruise carrying your little one in a coffin" and so on...yes people get down right rude. But, to each their own and everyone is going to do what they want no matter what people say on here. So, I'm going to leave it at that and not have any comments on what I do and don't do. ;) You are welcome to read "those" posts over on the family board if you so desire, by doing a search.

Native Way-I can't really say if I would be willing to "try" them if I wasn't given a free excursion because I have never really "tried" them before and don't know what they're like. I know they seem to come highly recommended on here, so I can only assume they are pretty good. We just had a bad experience. But, I guess if they wasn't willing to give me a "I'll make it better for you do-over" for free this time around, we would probably be doing something different. Mainly just because we have done the stingrays before and I like to try new things...even though it wasn't the experience we had expected, not the interaction that we had thought we were going to get, and we didn't get to go to the beach as promised (which I had really been looking forward to). NO, I would not be going on a ship excursion. I will never go on a ship excursion unless there is a reason that you HAVE to use them for where we are going.

OF COURSE BUY THE DOLPHIN EXCURSION NOT USING THE CRUISE LINE. :D Otherwise you are going to be paying about 3x's more than it really is (in most cases). You go online and purchase your swims there prior to going. The earlier you book, you save $$. Also, they have 2 for 1 sales all the time. You just have to watch their site. If you wait until you arrive at Chankanaab, if they are full that day, you may miss out.

Sorry, I don't know anything about San Gervasio. We have no interest in seeing any Ruins so we have never checked in to it.

They have tons of van cabs and that is what we usually take. They can fit quite a few passengers in them, so if you have a big party going, they will put you in one of those instead of a regular cab. No worries...they are everywhere. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have a wonderful trip. :D

• 1 month later...
COZUMEL, MEXICO (CHANKANAAB)

We'll be in Cozumel in December on the Jewel. We'll probably go to Chankanaab based on your review. I'm curious about money, Did you come with Mexican currency? or visit an ATM or did they take dollars? When ever I fly to another country I always visit the airport ATM as the best place to pick up currency. This is our first cruise so I'm at a loss.

We'll be in Cozumel in December on the Jewel. We'll probably go to Chankanaab based on your review. I'm curious about money, Did you come with Mexican currency? or visit an ATM or did they take dollars? When ever I fly to another country I always visit the airport ATM as the best place to pick up currency. This is our first cruise so I'm at a loss.

All of the ports take American money so no worries. I highly suggest taking a bunch of $1 bills with you so that they don't have to make change (because most will tell you they don't have change in order to keep the extra $$) and also because if you are not aware of the currency exchange, you can get ripped off (as we did once when they gave us a $5 Peso coin as the value of a $5 bill in US $$...which it's far from). So, I usually go to our bank prior to cruising and get a bunch of one's to take with me for the ports. Also, I have read many times that the cruise ship will also give you dollars as well. :)

All of the ports take American money so no worries. I highly suggest taking a bunch of $1 bills with you so that they don't have to make change (because most will tell you they don't have change in order to keep the extra $$) and also because if you are not aware of the currency exchange, you can get ripped off (as we did once when they gave us a $5 Peso coin as the value of a $5 bill in US $$...which it's far from). So, I usually go to our bank prior to cruising and get a bunch of one's to take with me for the ports. Also, I have read many times that the cruise ship will also give you dollars as well. :)

I would add that if you intend on using your ATM or Debit card outside the US, let your bank know in advance. We went to Chankanaab and were going to pay for swimming with the dolphins with my debit card, but it was declined, even thought there was plenty of funds on it. We had some cash which they took and we swam with the sea lions instead, which was much cheaper and a great experience.

We spoke to the bank and they indicated that was their policy, so if you haven't confirmed with the bank, I would suggest using the ATM on the ship.

yeah great point. We travel a lot (but this is our first cruise) and have a checklist of sorts when we travel

1. Register with STEP https://step.state.gov/step/
  2. Call Credit Card Company (we take one credit card - it's a Chase card that has an international chip. I haven't seen chips in Mexico much but all over Europe you'll run into places that can't take your card unless it has the chip) This card does not charge a fee for foreign transactions and another great benefit of this card is Trip cancellation and interruption insurance plus lost luggage insurance - all free when you pay for your trip on the card.
  3. Call the bank for our ATM card (we ONLY use it at ATMs and not as a debit card when traveling) We always get foreign currency from ATMs to avoid big conversion fees.
  4. We take color copies of our passports and we leave a copy at home with family. This will help significantly if you get robbed. I'm guessing its not such a big deal or concern on a cruise since you are working with the cruise card instead right?

I have never heard of this. What is this for and how does it work?

STEP is the State Departments service through the US consulates. It registers you with the in country embassies wherever you go. We register for a number of reasons. If you get stuck in a country without ID they already have details of your trip, making it easier to prove who you are. If there is a (God forbid) Terror attack or threat of attack or a natural disaster, they know how to find you, warn you or get you safe passage out of the country and help get messages to your family. They will also send you travel and health alerts about the country before you go if applicable.

I just like my country to know where I am in case everything goes horribly wrong - and thank goodness I've never had to use their services. But I've know people who have. It's probably not as relevant on a cruise since the cruise ship has all your info too but I still do it.

Mitsugirly, if you read this, I have some questions about my upcoming Pearl cruise. You were kind enough to answer some of my other questions.

1. I read the official cruise critic review of the Pearl and it mentioned a 2 for 1 special at the pay restaurants from 5:30 to 7:30. Are they still doing that?

2. How do I purchase a spa pass? Can I buy it ahead of time online? I can't find it offered under gifts and such.

3. Are they absolutely strict about the age limit for the spa? Would they permit my 17 1/2 college freshman granddaughter to buy a spa pass?

Mitsugirly, if you read this, I have some questions about my upcoming Pearl cruise. You were kind enough to answer some of my other questions.

1. I read the official cruise critic review of the Pearl and it mentioned a 2 for 1 special at the pay restaurants from 5:30 to 7:30. Are they still doing that?

2. How do I purchase a spa pass? Can I buy it ahead of time online? I can't find it offered under gifts and such.

3. Are they absolutely strict about the age limit for the spa? Would they permit my 17 1/2 college freshman granddaughter to buy a spa pass?

Well, I'm really sorry but I won't be able to help you on any of these subjects.

We usually don't eat much at the specialty restaurants unless it's the Asian one and the time we went with 5 people, there was a coupon for buy 3, get 1 free and then we forgot to bring the coupon.

As for the spa, I have never done the spa before.

Hopefully someone else can help you out with these questions. :)

1. I read the official cruise critic review of the Pearl and it mentioned a 2 for 1 special at the pay restaurants from 5:30 to 7:30. Are they still doing that? No longer available.

2. How do I purchase a spa pass? Can I buy it ahead of time online? I can't find it offered under gifts and such.No pre purchase, book as soon as you board, they fill up pretty fast.

Very strict unless the ship is not full and they aren't selling out. You can ask.

Good luck.

We are going here in November. Our first NCL cruise on the Pearl.

Will now know to take our snorkel gear with us. We have rented Jet Ski's. They do have lockers for our stuff, right?

Also, what kind of camera do you have... these are great pics.

GREAT STIRRUP CAY:

I loved the look of GSC and the tendering area they have made is beautiful. The entrance is very nice and tendering was easy as can be.

We found a spot to the right at the beach area after walking in and pretty much stayed there most of the day (other than a little shopping and over to the food area for lunch). I couldn’t wait to get into the water and start snorkeling.

IMG0978-M.jpg

The water was cold that day, but the weather was sunny and very nice out. So, I wasn’t about to let a little cold water keep me away. After getting in, you got use to it.

Before we did venture into the water we were kind of walking up and down the beach area and we saw several sting rays swimming around. They were exploring everyone around them. I ran back to our beach chairs to grab my camera and of course, my luck, they were gone and we didn’t see them the rest of the day.

IMG0991-M.jpg

I have to say I was very amazed at the amount of fish and snorkeling to be done here. I wasn’t expecting much and figured it was mostly a sandy bottom type area. There seem to be a little of everything there from just sandy areas in the water to sea grass, to rocks with plenty of fish. You could swim really far out (going toward the huge rocks that stick up out of the water) and it was still fairly shallow (where you could still touch the bottom in most places). Most of the fish were out that way (or at least more of a variety of them). You will find coral here, anemones, sea urchins, sea worms and tons of fish. Just make sure you are looking under some of the huge rocks out there and in the nooks and crannies and you’ll find things most people don’t see. I didn’t swim all the way to the huge rocks but spoke with another couple on the ship that did and said they ran into a 4 foot barracuda out there.

At one point I went out toward the rocks and then decided to swim diagonal across toward the other side to see if there was anything different in that area. I found several different “things” (not sure what they were remains of) but they were like bars/metal and to my surprise, I seen my first Lion Fish under one of them. It was the first time that I’ve ever encountered one and I was completely thrilled!!!

IMG1045-M.jpg

We did see people parasailing there as well. It looked like fun.

We went over for the lunch buffet and the lines were long. We stood in line for probably about 20 minutes before making it to the food…which was VERY good. Then when I made it to the end of the line, I THEN noticed that the food started over. Geesh, I stood in this long line, like others, when they had several different places to get the same food and it repeated. (Putting hand up to forehead and banging it about that time). So hint…don’t just get in the line at the beginning of the tables.

They have a huge covered area that you can sit at or you can opt to sit at the tables out in the sun. There was a lot of room.

IMG7506-M.jpg

My little one had decided that she wanted to try the hippo slide and had been begging all day long to go. So we went over to investigate. We ask the rep there if it was ok for her to go down or if there was an age or height regulation. He told us anyone could go down. He ask if we wanted to do just 1 slide for $4.99 or if we wanted to buy the all-day pass for $20. The thing is huge. We talked him into letting my husband go down with her (free of charge) just to make sure she would be ok. Then we talked him into holding off on the charge and if she liked it and could do it by herself then we would pay the $20. If not, then we would pay the on time rate. He agreed and let them go. She was able to climb it by herself and they slid down together. At a certain point almost toward the curve at the bottom they went a little sideways and it seemed as though they hit an area that brought them up a little. Not air borne but you could tell it was different. You could also tell by BOTH of their faces that it kinda freaked them out. So, that pretty much made up my mind that it would be her only time of trying it out. I don’t think I would trust her going alone on it.

IMG7443-M.jpg

The beach does have a lot of rocks/pebbles in the sand, so it’s a good idea to wear sandals or water shoes if you want to go easy on the feet. I’ve always ran around bare-footed since I was a kid, so it didn’t bother me but it did my husband. You could see the staff working hard at raking up the rocks and hauling them away during the day.

We did a little shopping at the stores before getting back on the tender and was able to barter with one of them on a dress for my daughter and a tee for me so I was happy.

I really didn’t explore around like I thought I would. I seem to get wrapped up in something exciting and then forgot to wonder off and look around. I didn’t even see where the lazy river was going to be and we didn’t go over past the adult beach either. I’ve seen many reviews about people walking to the lighthouse and I saw the arrow pointing which way it was, but when you are on the ship and you look at the tender area, and then look over to the lighthouse…holy crap it looks really far away. I felt like we’d spend a lot of time just walking there and back. So, we decided not to go.

IMG1043-M.jpg

The only complaint I would have is they have the chairs so packed that you are basically sitting on top of each other. We were the only ship there that day and it wasn’t too crowded that you had to sit within hand-holding distance with someone in the chair next to you, but still…wow. The beach is huge and they need to spread things out some more or make the beach bigger. I like people, but not so much that they can hear me whisper. LOL

We had a wonderful day and I hope to make it back again someday. We really enjoyed it and thought it was just beautiful there.

Link to my other pictures: http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Great-Stirrup-Cay-Bahamas/22274414_n4mcj7#!i=1779715263&k=bRvb8nx