Attention Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Ok so this has nothing to do with baseball, but Red Sox and Yankee fans are the most passionate people so, I wanted to get your attention. We are cruising to Bermuda and I am wondering if cruising out of NYC on the Epic vs out of Boston on the Dawn is worth the extra $$ for the ship, hotel room for night before and the Acela ride from Boston to NYC. We live 45 min from the Boston port and will have 30 travelers all basing out of Boston. Any input would be great.

FYI Born in NY live in BOS~ I am switzerland as far as the Sox/Yanks go:)

Perhaps you mean the Breakaway, which will be sailing to Bermuda from NY starting in 2013. It's hard to say what the ship will be like...other than it will be almost as big as the Epic. I'm not all that eager to cruise on those mega-ships...just too big for my taste. I have cruised on the Dawn many times and certainly wouldn't be hesitant to do so again.

The view of a card-carrying member of Red Sox Nation;):

Indeed, it is the Breakaway that will be cruising to Bermuda from NY in 2013, not the Epic. And this year (2012), it's a choice between the Dawn (Boston) or the Star (NY), which are sister ships, so really no big difference.

We sailed to Bermuda on the Gem last year, and for me, it was the experience of sailing out of NY harbor that was the highlight - passing Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty, the Verrazano Bridge - breathtaking! However, for this year at least, if you're looking from a ship POV, you really gain nothing by going out of NY.

oops sorry the Breakaway.. and my appologies to the Met fans out there. We have visited NYC before, and it is not so much seeing nyc as the options on the ship itself. I sailed the Spirit and loved her. I have heard that the Spirit vs the Dawn is a great comparison.

Hope nobody minds me asking on this thread, but we want to see a Yankees game before we sail from NYC at the end of July. It will be a Monday 30th July or Tuesday 31st July, they are at home to the Orioles. We only want cheapish seats, would we be better to book tickets beforehand or can you always pay in on the day of the game?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Jo:)

Hope nobody minds me asking on this thread, but we want to see a Yankees game before we sail from NYC at the end of July. It will be a Monday 30th July or Tuesday 31st July, they are at home to the Orioles. We only want cheapish seats, would we be better to book tickets beforehand or can you always pay in on the day of the game?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Jo:)

Buy them in advance. For most seating the Yankees actually charge a few dollars more per ticket if you buy on game day than if you buy in advance. Also, the Yankees often sell out...although that may not be true for a Monday or Tuesday game. Sometimes on the secondary market (Stub Hub is the official resale market for Major League Baseball) if you take the time to look carefully you can find tickets being sold for less than the box office price particularly for a weekday game that's not against an arch rival. You might find that true for the games you're considering.

this phillies phan would question why take acela??? IMO it isn't worth it unless you get if free, or cheap......

i would NOT come down day of...too many wacky amtrak things can happen....broken down trains, signal troubles and sadly, but more likely, trespassers on the tracks..:eek:

that said....i know nothing about NCL or their ships.....so i can't help you there....

now...back to suffering..yes i know..it is a long season.....:mad:

Buy them in advance. For most seating the Yankees actually charge a few dollars more per ticket if you buy on game day than if you buy in advance. Also, the Yankees often sell out...although that may not be true for a Monday or Tuesday game. Sometimes on the secondary market (Stub Hub is the official resale market for Major League Baseball) if you take the time to look carefully you can find tickets being sold for less than the box office price particularly for a weekday game that's not against an arch rival. You might find that true for the games you're considering.

i actually lucked out on stubhub last year for phillies tickets....wound up paying, on average, less than $10 over face value...

i also sold a couple for this season at, and in one case, below (on the day of the game) some tickets...so often you can luck out. Especially if the seller has set the price to drop automatically.....day before or day of (early in the day) tickets can be great bargains...

I'm a big ship fan, and also a new ship fan, so I would lean towards the Breakaway in this comparison. The Dawn has some miles and years on her now, and although likely a good ship, the new one will have some bells and whistles the old one won't. I've sailed from Boston, and there isn't anything particularly exciting about the departure, so NYC easily wins on that standpoint. But an hour into the cruise, it's all about the ship.

That said, you can't beat the convenience of sailing from home. The Breakaway is probably going to command a decent price premium just for the ship itself. Tack on the transportation to NYC. And if you are looking at the train, than presumably, you won't be staying at a cheaper suburban hotel, but rather somewhere near the train station or port. That's gonna cost as well. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the cruise fare, transportation and hotel bill add $500 per couple if not more. That would be something for your group to decide the value of.

Archived