First timers on a Transatlantic crossing.

Maz_1

Hi Everyone,

We are looking to book Celebrity Silhouette in April 2013 for the Eastbound Transatlantic crossing. Is the Starboard side the best to get the sun on the cabin balcony? Can anyone tell me about their experience on an Eastbound crossing. Thank you. :)

We've done two TA, one East and one West. Loved both. And yes, the Starboard side will be the most sun-exosed since it will face South during the trsansit.

Our Apr/May Transit was fantastic. Great weather and very calm sea. No issues at all....but of course we area talking about variable wx. Had a great relaxing time, enjoyed the seadays and enjoyed the special lectures they add to a TA. And as you've seen, TAs are pretty inexpensive when comparing per day costs.

Enjoy!

Den

Thank you for your quick response Denny01. Very nearly booked it today:) Just wanted to get some feedback first. Our TA is going to check tomorrow to see if the the cabins we are interested in booking are available. :D

Hi Everyone,

We are looking to book Celebrity Silhouette in April 2013 for the Eastbound Transatlantic crossing. Is the Starboard side the best to get the sun on the cabin balcony? Can anyone tell me about their experience on an Eastbound crossing. Thank you. :)

Hi Maz

I was always told that the word POSH, means Port Out Starboard Home, I presume for somebody from UK. So this would confirm that Starboard would be the right choice for you.

We haven't ever done a Transatlantic this way but we did Barcelona to Miami in November several years ago and the sea was like glass the whole way across.

See you in June

Jean

We have done 1 eastbound and 1 westbound. Our eastbound went to Hamburg (Connie going in for solsticization) and we had a Starboard balcony and sometimes it was too cold to sit out there. The seas were very calm except for maybe 2 days. We enjoyed it tremendously and would do it again but we prefer the 25 hour days on the westbound vs the 23 hour days on the eastbound. The sea days are awesome. Book it.

...I was always told that the word POSH, means Port Out Starboard Home, I presume for somebody from UK. So this would confirm that Starboard would be the right choice for you...
I believe that POSH was supposed to apply [a number of claims that this story is a fabrication] for the UK - India run [also Eastbound on the first cruise out from UK]. Before air-conditioning travelers in the tropics generally preferred the shady side since it was cooler. That said, I agree that starboard would be the sunny choice for US to Europe.

Thom

Hi Everyone,

As a fellow Englishman and a BIG lover of TA cruises you are right to pick the starboard side on the way home.

We've done several now and (touching wood) never had any issues with bad weather. We had a few choppy days on the Liberty last Oct/Nov westbound, but Im also aware that the eclipse and the silhouette had rough crossings in Oct 2011. EC went to Miami and Si went to New Jersey.

This was all as a result of a large storm out of the Caribbean. We were over 300 miles away from it but still had a few choppy days, but nothing to write home about.

TA are great cruises, and as previously mentioned by somebody else are very reasonably priced. I've seen 2 week cruises for under £300 which is a very cheap holiday.

Book it, you won't regret it.. Even more so if you're thinking of doing it on the Si ....

You won't regret it. We have done several, both out and home and have enjoyed every one. The weather can be unpredictable but go prepared and you can still have a good time. We love the sea days, very relaxing. As long as you realise there is a big difference between at TA and the usual cruise with lots of ports. The guests are usually seasoned cruisers who regularly do these trips. We have met the same people on TAs on more than one occassion. We already have ours booked on the Eclipse for next year.

Archived