Wife wants to see sloths in panama

ming

Not sure what ports you'll be visiting but we did an E-W PC transit in April. Had private tours in Huatulco, Puntarenas and Cartagena and were very pleased. Held a sloth in Cartagena.......vendor up by La Popa had one but saw several throughout tourist areas of city. Booked with Dora and our guide was Dency. Great day and lots of interesting history.

In Huatulco hired Marcos Lopez for the day. Can't praise him enough; Wonderful! Tailored the tour to what we were most interested in and is a very thoughtful and knowledgeable young man from there. Will check his e-address and post in a bit. Used Greenway in Puntarenas and there were three other couples. Olie was our guide, Avril our driver and the day was great fun.

Suitcase,

I have been to Hualtulco on a land vacation for the last couple of winters. I love the area. Hope you got to tour the many bays. It is a little bit of paradise.

I am doing a full transit from FLL to San Diego on the Celebrity Century. For Mexico we will be in PV and Cabo. Really looking forward to our private tour in Colon and in Cartagena. we will be going to the Convent on the top of the hill and then old town, so I guess we also will be able to see the sloth.:)

What did you see and do in Costa Rica?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, all....

Wife wants to go to Panama and see sloths...I would rather go on a cruise with a side trip to see the sloths.

Does anyone offer a cruise that has a trip or two to the rain forest where my wife can see these creatures and I can be bitten by a Fur-de-lance and be flown home?

It's decision time soon and I need some advice, please.

Land holiday where I get bitten...or cruise where I have fun...????

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

We did a cruise from Panama to the US and we stopped in Costa Rica. They have a very nice Sloth Sanctuary there and you can even pet one.

Thanks, Keith, that was very nice of you to pass on that information.

It seems like I researched this a few months ago and found that they had moved from the Puntarenas (where we are docking) area to Limon (on the Carib side), so a visit would be almost impossible.

I'll review it again just in case, but it looks like the most promising encounter may have to be the guy under the clock tower in Columbia with a pet sloth that she can hold for a buck.

Thanks again! (good sloths are hard to find, yes?) :)

Thanks, Keith, that was very nice of you to pass on that information.

It seems like I researched this a few months ago and found that they had moved from the Puntarenas (where we are docking) area to Limon (on the Carib side), so a visit would be almost impossible.

I'll review it again just in case, but it looks like the most promising encounter may have to be the guy under the clock tower in Columbia with a pet sloth that she can hold for a buck.

Thanks again! (good sloths are hard to find, yes?) :)

If you can, the one in Costa Rica is really nice. They have all ages of Sloths there...from babies to senior. The sanctuary is very nice and you basically make a donation to see them, this way they can keep helping injured and older sloths stay alive.

We did a Kayak Gatun Lake Tour and saw several sloths. They are all over, we also saw them in Cartagena and saw a bunch in Costa Rica on the Zip Line tour.

If you want to see them in Panama I would suggest any of the tours that go to the Gatun Lake area.

We were there in December and Kayaked through the backwaters of Gatun Lake, and didn't see a mosquito all day.

"We did a Kayak Gatun Lake Tour and saw several sloths. They are all over, we also saw them in Cartagena and saw a bunch in Costa Rica on the Zip Line tour.

If you want to see them in Panama I would suggest any of the tours that go to the Gatun Lake area".

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Mr. Pirate!

My wife's ears were at attention when I read your post to her.

Now, she doesn't want to transit the canal, he just wants to do a two-day tour of the Gatun Lake area. Sigh....

Anyway, it's nice to know that these little creatures are plentiful in the three countries we're going to visit.

Thanks again for your observations and positive input. :)

We went to the Jaguar Rescue Center last year on our PC cruise during our day in Limon. They had several sloths and we got to hold one - he was wrapped in a blanket so that he didn't accidentally scratch us with his long claws. He was very sweet. We also had fun playing and holding the baby monkey's as well, so your wife could get "two for one".

Many thanks,keywestcat!

I saw that offered, but being that we were looking solely for sloths, I discounted it.

Now it's back on my short-list!

Thanks so much for taking the time to pass that along! :)

You're very welcome.

The experience at the JRC was so much fun that I'm going back again this Nov. when I do another PC cruise (with my husband this time instead of my mom). Our guide last time said that there is actually more of a "sloth experience" at the JRC than at the Sloth Sanctuary because at the Sloth Sanctuary they no longer let you come in contact with the sloths. The JRC had both long hair and short haired sloths although it was the long haired sloths that were the more mellow and amenable to being held.

Hope you guys have fun whichever way you decide to go. That was a really great day!

".....in her pajamas?"

Did I say that??

It wouldn't surprise me if I did as she would opt to see them in any state of attire.

No kidding.

A compulsion, I suspect. :rolleyes:

...That's 5 for this morning...I'll just be happy when this whole thing is behind me...(if it ever is) ;)

You're very welcome.

The experience at the JRC was so much fun that I'm going back again this Nov. when I do another PC cruise (with my husband this time instead of my mom). Our guide last time said that there is actually more of a "sloth experience" at the JRC than at the Sloth Sanctuary because at the Sloth Sanctuary they no longer let you come in contact with the sloths. The JRC had both long hair and short haired sloths although it was the long haired sloths that were the more mellow and amenable to being held.

Hope you guys have fun whichever way you decide to go. That was a really great day!

Who did you go with when you went to JRC. What kind of tour did you take?

Not sure what ports you'll be visiting but we did an E-W PC transit in April. Had private tours in Huatulco, Puntarenas and Cartagena and were very pleased. Held a sloth in Cartagena.......vendor up by La Popa had one but saw several throughout tourist areas of city. Booked with Dora and our guide was Dency. Great day and lots of interesting history.

In Huatulco hired Marcos Lopez for the day. Can't praise him enough; Wonderful! Tailored the tour to what we were most interested in and is a very thoughtful and knowledgeable young man from there. Will check his e-address and post in a bit. Used Greenway in Puntarenas and there were three other couples. Olie was our guide, Avril our driver and the day was great fun.

Did you have to pay a deposit ahead of time on your Cartagena tour with Dora???? Princess tours don't go to La Popa, so if we want to go up that hill to see the view we must book a private tour.

Looks like it is either Claudia , Dora or Lee Miles who uses them anyway for good private tours. I have been in contact with Claudia & she does not require a deposit ahead, but she seems high. That is why I was wondering about Dora.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated for anyones info,

Grace :)

We used Lee Miles (no deposit) and ended up with Claudia anyway :)- But I will say Lee was an excellent resource in terms of planning and arrangement and to his credit asked in-depth questions after we ended to help him adjust his options.

Did you have to pay a deposit ahead of time on your Cartagena tour with Dora???? Princess tours don't go to La Popa, so if we want to go up that hill to see the view we must book a private tour.

Looks like it is either Claudia , Dora or Lee Miles who uses them anyway for good private tours. I have been in contact with Claudia & she does not require a deposit ahead, but she seems high. That is why I was wondering about Dora.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated for anyones info,

Grace :)

We used Lee Miles (no deposit) and ended up with Claudia anyway :)- But I will say Lee was an excellent resource in terms of planning and arrangement and to his credit asked in-depth questions after we ended to help him adjust his options.

Do you know if the road to La Popa is open. We were in Cartagena about three months ago, and the locals said the road was closed because of a landslide.

Do you know if the road to La Popa is open. We were in Cartagena about three months ago, and the locals said the road was closed because of a landslide.

Hope someone knows & will give us answer. We are interested also. Just found out Princess tour is going there, supposedly, in a mini bus for 20 people on our cruise in Sept. Is it too good to be true??:cool:

Thanks for the info,

Grace

My apologies for going off-topic with an established thread, but it looks like it doesn't matter anymore, yes?

I think I found the attraction that my wife sees in the sloths.

I think it is solely in the eyes.

See if you see any similarity.

The elusive sloth:

sloth.jpg

My wife's dog, Grady:

grady-gud-crop.jpg

I think it's the eye marking, but who knows?

Sorry for the interruption, just passing the time tonight.

My best to you all and happy cruise dreams :)

Ming,

Good to see your post.

You have the most adorable dog.

Absolutely! the eyes explain everything.

I meanwhile have figured out all the private tours we will be taking, got all the clothes I need and now just relax and start the six month trip clock until sailaway on Dec 19, on the Century.

Archived