Flying to Orlando, cruising from Miami

knitdiva

We are cruising from Miami in June but flying in to MCO for $ reasons. I found a very good rate for a rental car for the day. What are my options for getting from MIA (have to return to airport location because it will be too late for Hertz downtown) to the Marriott Biscayne Bay? I will probably grab a cab (which will cost me more than the car rental:eek: )

What do you all think?

We are cruising from Miami in June but flying in to MCO for $ reasons. I found a very good rate for a rental car for the day. What are my options for getting from MIA (have to return to airport location because it will be too late for Hertz downtown) to the Marriott Biscayne Bay? I will probably grab a cab (which will cost me more than the car rental:eek: )

What do you all think?

A cab from the Miami airport to Marroitt Biscayne Bay is about $24-$26 plus tip. A cab from that hotel to the port of Miami is about $10.

The ride from Orlando to Miami is 3-4 hours.

What do you all think?

Is your return flight from MCO or MIA? Am I understanding that on return to POM from your cruise you need to turn in your rental at MIA and then go back to downtown Miami for a hotel stay at the Marriott Biscayne Bay?

Are you aware that the drive from MCO to Miami is 4-5 hours?

A cab from MIA back to downtown is about $30-$35.

I know it is a long drive. The plan is to fly to MCO, drive to MIA, stay one night at hotel, enjoy the cruise, pick-up rental car, drive back to MCO for a conference I have to attend for work in Orlando.

The alterative is booking two one way flights for a lot more money.

The cruise is booked, the conference is booked. Just have to plan the getting there and getting back...

National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free shuttles from their MIA airport location to & from POM. If you stay somewhere near MIA, or even in the Fort Lauderdale area, you can drop the car and shuttle to POM. After your cruise shuttle back to POM, pick up your car, and you can be back in Orlando for a late lunch. :cool:

Near MIA check out hotels in the Blue Lagoon area (Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Sofitel and others) with shopping and dining options nearby. In the FLL area check out www.sunny.org for hotel details.

You can also drop the car at either Avis or Hertz in downtown Miami and stay near POM. Check out the Marriott, IC, Hyatt, Doubletree and Holiday Inn. Good luck! :)

I know it is a long drive. The plan is to fly to MCO, drive to MIA, stay one night at hotel, enjoy the cruise, pick-up rental car, drive back to MCO for a conference I have to attend for work in Orlando.

The alterative is booking two one way flights for a lot more money.

The cruise is booked, the conference is booked. Just have to plan the getting there and getting back...

Okay, I re-read your op and now your clarification clears it up for me. Doing two one way car rentals should work fine for you. I now understand why you are turning the car in at MIA because of the downtown car rental office will being closed. Taking a cab from MIA should only be $25-$30 to your hotel.

Another option, you can usually book Southwest MCO to FLL for $69 then SAS shuttle from FLL to Port of Miamia for $15. That's my plan for December, we are staying at Disney then cruising out of Miami.

That's exactly what we did this past November. We were able to get a good fare with Southwest for $59.

Good luck. If dropping the car off in Fort Lauderdale is an option, it might be a little less costly to stay there instead of Miami and take SAS to the port.

WE will be flying into mco for trip to WDW, then cruise out of Fll next month.. First I booked a full size rental one way drive to FLL, was costly. Then I found SW flight one way for 59.00 was cheaper then car rental. SW flighht for us, also gets us to FLL early.. No car rental for us this trip...

I haven't done the MCO-FLL flight in at least six months but you would be surprised with the amount of people who are there for a stay at Disney World and are cruising out of Port Everglades or POM. Especially on a Friday or Saturday. It's an extremely short flight. I don't necessarily like the flight because I don't get paid that much (I'm only paid when the doors are closed) but if the airline lets me end a trip that way, I'll take it because it's much better than commuting from Baltimore.

I booked a one-way with Budget picking up at Ft Lauderdale airport and dropping off the next day in Miami at the downtown location on 2nd street, which is 2.3 miles from port, using discount code Y937800. This is a Budget sponsored discount for Florida rentals and can be combined with coupons for upgrades, etc.

If Budget won't take us the 2.3 miles from their office to the ship, then I will drop the other 5 people and all of the luggage off at the port and run the car back to the Budget office and take a taxi the 2.3 miles back to the port...shouldn't cost much.

Same scenario after we debark but in reverse order ;).

Maybe you could do something similar?

Gina

Archived