Management Decision On Quest's April 12 "Spice Route" Cruise

Bill Leiber

But we are still awaiting the refund due of about 2K, that's after we have paid in full for the replacement cruise in December.

I don't want to go too much OT, but why would you pay in full now for a cruise that is not until December?

Hi Bill,

We are in the same situation as MightyQuinn and have not yet received our per diem although we sent in our claim the day we returned from the cruise.

It would appear that none of our Cruise Critic friends who were on the 26th March sailing have received per diem or other expenses yet. This is understandable as Miami have had a lot to deal with and I assume they have been concentrating on the refunds and FCCs for the variously displaced / cancelled cruises that resulted from the fire.

Would you be able to find out on behalf of the Cruise Critic community when Miami expect to start issuing the per diem, hotels, flights refunds for the passengers on the 26th March sailing? This would help us greatly as I, for one, am looking at a few thousand dollars credit card bill for all those hotels and other expenses incurred. I'm hoping to avoid paying any interest on it if at all possible!

With best wishes

Thom

Hello Thom -

I learned from Corporate Guest Relations that they are refunding the $150 per diem/per person along with hotels and air penalties "as they are received." With respect to hotel and air penalties, if some are found to be incomplete, then additional guest contact is required for details and/or verification from an accounting standpoint increasing the turn-around time. There is a dedicated team of two agents and a supervisor ensuring that they are processed properly. Currently, from the time of receipt to disbursement it's taking about two weeks for full processing.

I wanted to get back to you as promptly as I could; however, I'm still waiting for clarification about the phrase, "as they are received," which implies that a request might be required for the per diem. In my opinion, I think there might be a misunderstanding that the refund would be automatic" based on Mighty Quinn's statement that "the letter we received on-board clearly specified that the per diem amount would be sent by check/cheque (their words!) to our home address. There was no indication that we needed to do anything to receive it." Since the letter was issued onboard immediately following the incident, it's understandable that the specific refund details had not been reviewed by Miami within the scope of the entire refund operation and that the specific details were not included. (Please note that my preceding statement was totally speculative on my part.)

Thom, if you have not already done so, I suggest that you use the template to attach a copy of the claim which you previously submitted. Please go to the US/Canada website under the Contact Us section, which allows for attachments.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/contact-us

I'll get back to you and other readers as soon as possible.

My best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Here in the UK we still wait. Yes we had a credit card refund for the pre booked shore excursions then the email saying they had done this. TA has had communication saying the FCC vouchers we posted had been received. But we are still awaiting the refund due of about 2K, that's after we have paid in full for the replacement cruise in December. I know the interest rates are poor but the money should be in my bank especially as I had to pay £450 to deposit the new cruise! This is not what we would expect don't even mention the cost of the phone calls. This is with a small ship with a small number of accounts :mad:

Hello Lindentree -

I'm sorry for the delay you're experiencing in receiving your refund in the amount of 2K.

As I suggested to "Cardiffmatch" please use the template that you'll find on the US/Canada website under the Contact Us section, which allows for attachments. http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/contact-us

Please be sure to breakdown the cost elements that total the 2K such as the cruise fare, air and/or hotel penalty reimbursements and the per diems. If you've already done so, please disregard.

Note: When the overall "Contact Us" section opens, use the top, right-hand box "Have a Post Cruise Question or Comment" and then click-on the sentence "Please E-mail us with any questions or comments you may have." A template appears.

Also, your travel agent ccan send an email to the UK's custserv.uk@rccl.com and/or speak to UK Customer Relations - their direct number is 01932 834330 to seek their assistance in expediting the process.

Once this issue is behind you, I hope that your forthcoming Azamara onboard experience will lift the disappointment and frustration that you've been experiencing.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the update re: timescales. Just what was wanted!

By way of detail about our specific situation, (so other UK guests can estimate timings etc) I spoke to AZ UK as soon as we returned who explained what I needed to submit. They also confirmed that we could send our receipts etc to the UK office and they would pass it on to Miami.

A few days after I sent my letter I received a email from Azamara UK (24th April) confirming they had received it all and explaining that they would now pass it to Miami. Assuming a couple of weeks turnaround from that date I have only a few more days to wait so I'm happy.

I'll follow up with an email by the method you suggest after the weekend in case anything has gone awry. By the way, the pop-up window for emailing that you mention does 't work on the iPad... I can only see half the form and it doesn't scroll for some reason!

Best wishes

Thom

I don't want to go too much OT, but why would you pay in full now for a cruise that is not until December?

Its been paid in full by the refund from the cancelled spice route cruise. TA agents plan not mine. After the cost of cruise 1 is taken from cruise 2 and the FCC is applied we need the 2K refund. I spoke to my TA on Friday who assures me the wheels are turning. As for the posted receipts (6th April) for visa's we have heard nothing!

Its been paid in full by the refund from the cancelled spice route cruise. TA agents plan not mine. After the cost of cruise 1 is taken from cruise 2 and the FCC is applied we need the 2K refund. I spoke to my TA on Friday who assures me the wheels are turning. As for the posted receipts (6th April) for visa's we have heard nothing!

Ok, got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Bill

Following a number of calls to both my TA and Azamara (UK) I have finally received a reply offering an explanation from our TA (the one thats owned by RCCL) why I am required to continue to wait for a refund!

Dated 8th May 2012

"Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in refunding your money for the cancelled cruises aboard the Azamara Quest.

Since Wednesday of last week we have been in contact with Azamara on a daily basis trying to resolve this issue. Although unable to discuss specific bookings I can confirm that we have so far only received disbursement for two of the seven bookings affected by this unfortunate event.

I have also personally spoken with the Azamara office in Miami, which is part of the Royal Caribbean Cruises family. This office is handling all refunds which require cheques to be made up. They, along with the UK office of Azamara, have confirmed that the process for refunding was initiated on April 13th.

Azamara in the US also use a third party to issue these cheques from the Bank of America.

Since this time however, the cheque which contains the majority of refunds has not been received by ............TA.

After speaking with Azamara today, I have been advised that we would be best to wait until Friday 11th May to see if the cheque arrives, as to cancel and reissue this payment would take around four weeks from the date of notification.

At ..........TA we have only ever had to have one cheque drawn in this way that needed reissuing, however if the cheque has not arrived at our offices by this Friday I will ask Azamara to action an electronic transfer of funds to avoid further inconvenience to yourself.

Therefore I would please ask for your patience for a further three days, after which time I would hope to be able to contact you with good news."

Yours sincerely

TA

Yes we received our future cruise credit certificate, tour refund and Azamara have acknowledged receipt of our details relating to visa expenses etc, but we are owed near £4,000 for a cruise that was cancelled over 4 weeks ago.

AZAMARA - this is not acceptable!:mad:

Desiree & John

Newcastle

Bill

Following a number of calls to both my TA and Azamara (UK) I have finally received a reply offering an explanation from our TA (the one thats owned by RCCL) why I am required to continue to wait for a refund!

Dated 8th May 2012

"Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in refunding your money for the cancelled cruises aboard the Azamara Quest.

Since Wednesday of last week we have been in contact with Azamara on a daily basis trying to resolve this issue. Although unable to discuss specific bookings I can confirm that we have so far only received disbursement for two of the seven bookings affected by this unfortunate event.

I have also personally spoken with the Azamara office in Miami, which is part of the Royal Caribbean Cruises family. This office is handling all refunds which require cheques to be made up. They, along with the UK office of Azamara, have confirmed that the process for refunding was initiated on April 13th.

Azamara in the US also use a third party to issue these cheques from the Bank of America.

Since this time however, the cheque which contains the majority of refunds has not been received by ............TA.

After speaking with Azamara today, I have been advised that we would be best to wait until Friday 11th May to see if the cheque arrives, as to cancel and reissue this payment would take around four weeks from the date of notification.

At ..........TA we have only ever had to have one cheque drawn in this way that needed reissuing, however if the cheque has not arrived at our offices by this Friday I will ask Azamara to action an electronic transfer of funds to avoid further inconvenience to yourself.

Therefore I would please ask for your patience for a further three days, after which time I would hope to be able to contact you with good news."

Yours sincerely

TA

Yes we received our future cruise credit certificate, tour refund and Azamara have acknowledged receipt of our details relating to visa expenses etc, but we are owed near £4,000 for a cruise that was cancelled over 4 weeks ago.

Desiree & John

Newcastle

We received exactly the same email (I assume we booked with the same TA), but we were on the March 26th cruise. Why didn't Azamara use electronic transfer in the first place? It is now over 6 weeks since the fire that cut short our cruise.

Kampol and Lee.

We are still waiting too. TA say they know the value of the refunds and the transaction was started on the 5th May. As for visa refunds nothing. I emailed as per Bill's suggestion and received an automated reply but nothing else! ridiculous! :confused:

We have been fortunate and have now received all our refunds for the cancelled Spice Route cruise.

Our cruise was booked via an American T/A as my partner is American. It took a bit of working out as the refund was done in several differing amounts for different things e.g the pre cruise hotels, flights, the cruise itself and the visa fees but we got there in the end.

It did all seem very complicated though, so perhaps that is why it is taking Az shoreside such a long time - as we all know - if the Az crew onboard had been in charge of sorting the paperwork out, we would likely all have been refunded within 48 hours! :D

Bill

Dated 8th May 2012

Yours sincerely

TA

Desiree & John

Newcastle

Hello Ellizak, Ramlee and Lindentree -

First, I must express how sorry I am for the frustration you're still experiencing waiting for your refund and then let you know that I realize your seeking action rather than empathy.

I've mentioned before that I'm unable to solve specific customer service issues and have no access to our global reservation system; however, I will do my best to bring your issue to the attention of those who are involved in the process. I will send an email with a summary of your comments including the negative impact the UK-based travel agency has on the resolution of the problem to both the Miami post cruise guest relations coordinator where the refund process is being controlled as well as to the UK Customer Relations team.

Also, I suggest that each of you send an email to the UK's custserv.uk@rccl.com with your Cruise Critic name and your actual contact information and booking number for good order. Also, I would include a copy of your CC comments. Here again is the direct dial number to speak with UK Customer Relations: 01932 834330 if you wish to follow-up with a phone call.

When I have something to report, I will return to this thread and do so.

My best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

First, I must express how sorry I am for the frustration you're still experiencing waiting for your refund and then let you know that I realize your seeking action rather than empathy.

I've mentioned before that I'm unable to solve specific customer service issues and have no access to our global reservation system; however, I will do my best to bring your issue to the attention of those who are involved in the process. I will send an email with a summary of your comments including the negative impact the UK-based travel agency has on the resolution of the problem to both the Miami post cruise guest relations coordinator where the refund process is being controlled as well as to the UK Customer Relations team.

Also, I suggest that each of you send an email to the UK's custserv.uk@rccl.com with your Cruise Critic name and your actual contact information and booking number for good order. Also, I would include a copy of your CC comments. Here again is the direct dial number to speak with UK Customer Relations: 01932 834330 if you wish to follow-up with a phone call.

My best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill,

We don't think the problem is with the UK travel agency, at least they reply to our emails. They need to receive the refund from Azamara before they can pass it on to us.

We have been sending emails to Azamara at various email addresses since April 25th. We have yet to receive a single reply. We assume at least one of our emails has been read since we have received the promised daily allowance plus a refund of our airfare.

The fact that Azamara do not reply to emails is not a "specific customer service issue", it is a general customer service issue.

Regards,

Kampol and Lee.

My best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill

With the utmost respect the reason I have brought this issue to the cruisecritic forum is that I have contacted, emailed and spoken to Azamara UK and lots of sympathy - no movement.

I really just don't get it! Azamara can take my cash without any difficulty.

Desiree & John

Newcastle

Bill,

As you suggested we sent an email to custserv.uk@rccl.com. About 6 hours later we received this automated reply -

"Thank you for contacting our Customer Relations department, this is an automated confirmation that your email has been received. We are reviewing your comments and one of our team will contact you in due course, although we aim for this to be within 21 days.

For full details of our complaints procedure please refer to our terms and conditions within the brochure you booked from or on our UK websites at the following addresses;

www.royalcaribbean.co.uk

www.celebritycruises.co.uk

If you do need to speak to us urgently, please telephone us on 01932 834330, option 2 and we will be happy to assist you.

In the meantime, thank you for your patience."

You may notice that this reply makes no mention of Azamara (only Royal Caribbean and Celebrity).

Within 12 hours of the fire the Azamara Quest crew had restored electrical power and were serving breakfast. We are thankful that they were not aiming for a 21 day target!

Regards,

Kampol and Lee.

Hello Kampol and Lee,

I sent an email to customerservice.de@rccl.com and received this automated reply:Thank you for contacting us. Our representatives will reply to your inquiry

in the order in which it was received. Currently the processing time is at

an average of 4-6 weeks. Please reply only if you need to provide

additional information related to your original email. Follow-up emails

regarding the status of your query may further delay your response.

We are still waiting for the refund of the costs of the cruise!!!!

Regards

anfri

Hello Kampol and Lee,

I sent an email to customerservice.de@rccl.com and received this automated reply:Thank you for contacting us. Our representatives will reply to your inquiry

in the order in which it was received. Currently the processing time is at

an average of 4-6 weeks. Please reply only if you need to provide

additional information related to your original email. Follow-up emails

regarding the status of your query may further delay your response.

We are still waiting for the refund of the costs of the cruise!!!!

Regards

anfri

I have a question. Does everyone in Europe pay their cruises by cash or wire transfer to their travel agent? I know the laws and protection is differant than in the US.

I am in the US and by now I would have put the amount in dispute status with my credit card company. While not really a dispute (I would have faxed the letter confirming the refund), I think that is the option with Visa or American Express. I believe the credit card company would have sent the inquiry to Miami who would have had so many days to respond. I believe I would have had the funds back by now or at least available to use.

The only other issue that I did not see addressed was whether Azamara was paying the travel agents commission because there seems to be a discrepancy with some of the refunds which has to do with the travel agents commission.

I still can not believe that someone in Miami has not be assigned to take care of this immediately.

I feel bad for Bill who gets stuck dealing with these issues he has no control over.

Hello Jade13,

in Germany you pay your cruise by cash or bank transfer to your travel agent. I was told the refund of the costs of the cruise will be paid to my TA,who has to transfer the refund to me. I don't know who has to pay the travel agents commission...

anfri

I have a question. Does everyone in Europe pay their cruises by cash or wire transfer to their travel agent? I know the laws and protection is differant than in the US.

I am in the US and by now I would have put the amount in dispute status with my credit card company. While not really a dispute (I would have faxed the letter confirming the refund), I think that is the option with Visa or American Express. I believe the credit card company would have sent the inquiry to Miami who would have had so many days to respond. I believe I would have had the funds back by now or at least available to use.

The only other issue that I did not see addressed was whether Azamara was paying the travel agents commission because there seems to be a discrepancy with some of the refunds which has to do with the travel agents commission.

I still can not believe that someone in Miami has not be assigned to take care of this immediately.

I feel bad for Bill who gets stuck dealing with these issues he has no control over.

In the UK if you book through most travel agents you will pay a 2%+ surcharge for paying by credit card. As this can be a sizeable sum most people pay by debit card which transfers the money out of their bank account and offers no recourse to dispute resolution.

If you book direct with Celebrity or Azamara in the UK they do not charge card fees which is a nice benefit- not because I expect to have to resort to dispute resolution but because I also earn air miles as a result through my cardholder

Hello Ellizak, Ramlee, Lindentree and other readers -

Positive news report! I've learned from the UK's Customer Relations Manager that in conjunction with Miami, a solution to expedite the refund from the UK travel agency owned by RCCL has been arranged so that the travel agency with whom you booked can finally issue your refund on May 16, 2012.

Further, the plan includes notifying your travel agency today with this information. I hope with the time difference (BST) you've already received the news! (It's 3 PM California and 11 PM BST.)

I'm sorry for this unpredicted travel agent refund complication and its devastating impact on the promptness of your refund, especially in light of that of the fact that the majority of the refunds were timely.

I appreciate your endless patience with the customer relations process and I'm seeking to better understand the rationale behind a "21 day" turn-around time to receive a response and I will report back to you.

Hopefully, you'll be able to put this interlude behind you, and that your future Azamara onboard experiences will wipe the slate clean.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

In the UK if you book through most travel agents you will pay a 2%+ surcharge for paying by credit card. As this can be a sizeable sum most people pay by debit card which transfers the money out of their bank account and offers no recourse to dispute resolution.

If you book direct with Celebrity or Azamara in the UK they do not charge card fees which is a nice benefit- not because I expect to have to resort to dispute resolution but because I also earn air miles as a result through my cardholder

If I was in the UK I would most likely pay Azamara directly. I always use a credit card to get the airline points.

Btw, I thought it was against the credit card policies for any merchant to charge the client interest to use the credit card? I know in Italy I was enticed two years in a row to pay a hotel in EUR cash which we did to save 10%, but payment was due at the end of the stay. This year we booked the same hotel but this time on a well known hotel booking site. I might as well get the points on my credit card.

Thank you for the explanation.

If I was in the UK I would most likely pay Azamara directly. I always use a credit card to get the airline points.

Btw, I thought it was against the credit card policies for any merchant to charge the client interest to use the credit card? I know in Italy I was enticed two years in a row to pay a hotel in EUR cash which we did to save 10%, but payment was due at the end of the stay. This year we booked the same hotel but this time on a well known hotel booking site. I might as well get the points on my credit card.

That means if course you have also to book with Azamara if you want to pay them direct- you cannot use a travel agent then pay Azamar direct

It is perfectly legitimate and within the terms of the credit card guidelines for merchants to charge handling fees. In fact no airline will sell you a flight using a card without a fee in the UK although they tend to be a fixed sum per ticket and not a % so are less of a penalty overall. For a cruise for 2 it can be as high as £150 ($240) on a cruise cost of £3000 ($4800) Consumer pressure is building on this - it is effectively the merchant passing the fee they pay the card company back to the customer - but at best at present changed regulations may come in on the size of the fee.

Azamara, and Royal Caribbean as a whole, charge far more to book direct than via a travel agent. I have saved hundreds, sometimes thousands of pounds, by booking with a travel agent - on every cruise. In these circumstances it was worth it to "hold my nose" and fork out for the credit card fees.

Dear all

Just to let you know that my TA made contact today to advise that money has finally been received from Azamara. All being well, I should have the money in the bank within the next 2-3 days.

Although I have been very disappointed regarding the handling of this issue (shoreside) credit where credit is due - we are fans of Azamara and we have already booked to cruise with them again soon. I so look forward to the high standards and professionalism of all the crew, the wonderful food and good company. Ok Bill, I'm starting to chill out now and thanks - never meant to shoot the messenger.:cool:

Just need the visa and expenses to come through!!!!!

Desiree & John

Newcastle

We paid the deposit on a credit card and the bulk of the payment on a debit card. This meant that we did not need to pay a huge amount of interest but we would still be covered by the credit card regulations.

Did not need to take any action though as our travel agent chased Azamara on our behalf and we have got a refund. Already spent it on a Celebrity cruise! When we will be in Corfu we will be there at the same time as the Quest, would love to be able to go on board to see what we have missed but not sure whether we will be allowed.

I would like to say thank you to Bill - it cannot have been easy for you the last couple of months but you have kept visiting the boards and responding. I am sure, at times, that you have been frustrated with your work colleagues as they have created more work for you but you have done an excellent job keeping people informed. Thanks again and hope to travel with Azamara at some stage in the future,

Sharon

As I noted above, we eventually got our cruise refund, but have been negotiating through our travel agent with Azamara Australia over the refund of the associated expenses.

We keep needing to supply new information, some of it questiobale eg having supplied cancellation details of fare from Mumbai to Melbourne from Singapore Airlines, we were then asked to provide copies of the original tickets to prove we had paid a fare. What do they think the cancellation charge related to???

As the travel agent commented, "they are doing my head in.'

While I appreciate there has been a big demand on services, the refund process has not been handles well, especially in this age of computers and electronic communication and funds transfer.

We loved our experience aboard Azamara, and have consistently reorted positively to family and friends, this recent experience has taken some of the polish off for us.

Regards,

Sue

Archived