Money and Carcross in Yukon Territory

Jsaxm

Ok, here's a question I've recently wondered about. My wife and I, during our upcoming cruise to Alaska, will be taking the White Pass train/bus excursion to Carcross in the Yukon territory while we are in Skagway. I was wondering if we need to worry about getting any Canadian currency?

Yes, I realize it's Canada and they use their own currency, but having never been to this particular place before, I didn't know if there were any shops or a need to worry about getting Canadian money or not. If it's just a place to take a few pictures, or if it's just a really short stop and you don't really have time to buy anything then maybe it's not worth the effort to get the Canadian funds. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Took that trip a few years ago and the shops in the Yukon do take american dollars or credit cards. If your only buying an inexpensive item $1 or $2 I suggest bring a bunch of singles so you don't end up with a lot of canadian bills.

PS: Do bring your passport so you can get it stamped in the Yukon. It's a cool stamp.

This is great information. Thank you!

Good to hear about the passport stamp too! Funny, but I was actually wondering if they would stamp my passport or not. Thanks for the bonus info, haha!

This is great information. Thank you!

Good to hear about the passport stamp too! Funny, but I was actually wondering if they would stamp my passport or not. Thanks for the bonus info, haha!

we did that trip on the white pass as well and got it stamped twice on the trip in 2 different places.

Wel I should say we stamped it. You went into a little building and stamped the passport yourself.

Just got new passports and they were the only stamps we had in the old passport.

Bill

Ok, here's a question I've recently wondered about. My wife and I, during our upcoming cruise to Alaska, will be taking the White Pass train/bus excursion to Carcross in the Yukon territory while we are in Skagway. I was wondering if we need to worry about getting any Canadian currency?

Yes, I realize it's Canada and they use their own currency, but having never been to this particular place before, I didn't know if there were any shops or a need to worry about getting Canadian money or not. If it's just a place to take a few pictures, or if it's just a really short stop and you don't really have time to buy anything then maybe it's not worth the effort to get the Canadian funds. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

We rented a car to go up to Carcross, it was beautiful. Very different landscape too.. Or at least driving when we crossed the border into Canada. We didn't expect the change in scenery. I agree with others here on the board, it's fun to get different countries currency. Another surprise will await you as you dock in Skagway..Hint: look at the boulders as you pull in. Have a great trip!

we did that trip on the white pass as well and got it stamped twice on the trip in 2 different places.

Wel I should say we stamped it. You went into a little building and stamped the passport yourself.

Just got new passports and they were the only stamps we had in the old passport.

Bill

Oh, this is good to know....does someone point out, hey this is the building to get your passport stamped? If it's not pointed out or an obvious location I don't want to miss it, especially if it is as neat as you're all making it sound!

Oh, this is good to know....does someone point out, hey this is the building to get your passport stamped? If it's not pointed out or an obvious location I don't want to miss it, especially if it is as neat as you're all making it sound!

Yes somebody pointed out the places.:)

yukon.jpg

Bill

Good info, I did figure they would take our money and give us back dollars but change in Canadian just as they do in Bahamas, Grand Cayman

Just a reminded....when going to Canada take your passport period

You must have a passport on this tour (nice to get it stamped but necessary for border)

I will be there pretty soon , I can't wait! Have a private van booked to Yukon, Emerald Lake, Carcross....barbeque lunch then play with the sled pups, ride the cart !

I love that Yukon sign and I can't wait to get my picture taken there ..and the Alaska sign too...Yay

Yes somebody pointed out the places.:)

yukon.jpg

Bill

Ahhh....we have this pix too. Come to think of it...so do my Mom & Dad who went on Princess cruise for their 50th! Just kiddin', I think at LEAST a dozen other people have their photo takes here:p

Archived