Our Day in Nassau

royal girl

Just back from the Sovereign of the Seas and we were docked in Nassau from noon until 2 a.m. We got off the ship right at noon and headed to the Straw Market. Vendors were really not that bad. Most of them didn't even say two words to us. And a polite 'no thank you' was all it took if you weren't interested. Around 1:30 we hopped into a #10 jitney and rode over to the Wyndham Crystal Palace. We cut through the lobby and went over to the beach between the Nassau Beach Hotel and Breezes. We didn't want to use the lounge chairs, since we weren't guests and didn't want anyone to ask us for ID. So, we just layed on our towels in the sand and enjoyed the beach for about two hours. No one bothered us at all and it was beautiful. When we were done, we just hopped into another #10 and were back at the Straw Market in about 15 minutes. $1 each way per person.

The Wyndham has places to buy snacks and sodas, and we also used the restrooms with no problem at all. :D

I'm glad that we did this because CoCo Cay was canceled the next day due to rough seas, so at least we got some beach time in!

I was on the SOS in early may and docked in the bahamas from 12-2 aswell. We did lunch on the boat while the mad rush dodged to get off! We got off the boat at 1:00pm and took a taxi straight to the atlantis...walked around ourselves...took a taxi back. Looked in the shops, didnt care for the straw market..too small and crammed, felt like i was gonna be robbed! Then ate dinner on the ship and did senor frogs at night. :rolleyes:

Laurasue-

The cruise was just ok. It was my third and probably my least favorite. Out of a ten, I rate it a five. Pool waiters/dining room waiters were not that personable. Windjammer buffet wasn't that great. Never met our cabin steward, although the room was always kept clean. Although I did leave him a beach towel that we used by the pool, thinking he would replace it and he didn't. I hope I don't get charged the $20 for it on my credit card. On Deck 11 there was an awful smell when you step onto the deck. I'm not saying we had an awful time, it's just that my other two cruises were so much more fun compared to this one.

• 3 weeks later...

"Never met our cabin steward, although the room was always kept clean"

HOw is that possible? I have never known anyone who never EVER saw their steward. They are trained to introduce themselves to you AND you see them in the hallways working all the time.

• 1 month later...
Just back from the Sovereign of the Seas and we were docked in Nassau from noon until 2 a.m. We got off the ship right at noon and headed to the Straw Market. Vendors were really not that bad. Most of them didn't even say two words to us. And a polite 'no thank you' was all it took if you weren't interested. Around 1:30 we hopped into a #10 jitney and rode over to the Wyndham Crystal Palace. We cut through the lobby and went over to the beach between the Nassau Beach Hotel and Breezes. We didn't want to use the lounge chairs, since we weren't guests and didn't want anyone to ask us for ID. So, we just layed on our towels in the sand and enjoyed the beach for about two hours. No one bothered us at all and it was beautiful. When we were done, we just hopped into another #10 and were back at the Straw Market in about 15 minutes. $1 each way per person.

Is the straw market near the ships or do you need transportation from ship to straw market? Thank you!

"Never met our cabin steward, although the room was always kept clean"

HOw is that possible? I have never known anyone who never EVER saw their steward. They are trained to introduce themselves to you AND you see them in the hallways working all the time.

I have always met the steward on the first day. Seems like a mandatory introduction for them. Ask if you want anything special and tell you how to reach them on the beeper/phone. After that, some of the best have found ways of getting in and out without much notice.

Is the straw market near the ships or do you need transportation from ship to straw market? Thank you!

You can see the straw market from the dock. It is a big white tent and easy walking distance. Very crowded and hot also.

I've never seen a schedule. They just congregate downtown near the west end of Bay Street and once they have a enough passengers to make it worthwhile, they go. Mostly locals....and savy tourists. Don't think they operate at night either.

BobK/Orlando

just off: Sea Princess

can anyone tell me how to get a Jitney schedule...what bus where..kind thing?

There are no posted schedules, they just run every few minutes.. whenever they are ready. they que up downtown and run back and forth. They run from 6am to around 6pm.

What would be more interesting.......to take a jitney or a water taxi (I don't know if there's another name for these or not, sorry) to get over to Atlantis? It's our first time there and on a cruise and basically just being on a vacation alone in 20 years.....we want to experience everything we can (without overdoing it, obviously).

Thanks!

What would be more interesting.......to take a jitney or a water taxi (I don't know if there's another name for these or not, sorry) to get over to Atlantis? It's our first time there and on a cruise and basically just being on a vacation alone in 20 years.....we want to experience everything we can (without overdoing it, obviously).

Thanks!

There are no jitneys that go to Paradise Island, you'll have to either take a cab, or a ferry boat. Cab is $4pp. Ferryboat is $3. I'd opt for the Ferry boat on the way over and a take a cab on the way back if you want.

Cabs are available outside the port Gate, ferryboats are available a block away on the wharf.

I don't think the jitneys go to Paradise Island, only regular taxi cabs. Scubagirl can correct me if that's not right. However, you can get there with the water taxis. They depart from near the cruise ship docks and drop you off at the foot of the Paradise Island Bridge. From there it's a 10-minute walk to Atlantis.

The water taxi is $3 per person each way. One of the crew members will talk a bit about the history of the island and point out some of the sights on the way over. They kind of expect a tip but only about half the passengers will give them a dollar. It's certainly not required.

So I think the water taxi is the way to go. Or maybe the water taxi over and a regular taxi back to downtown Nassau.

BobK/Orlando

I don't think the jitneys go to Paradise Island, only regular taxi cabs. Scubagirl can correct me if that's not right. However, you can get there with the water taxis. They depart from near the cruise ship docks and drop you off at the foot of the Paradise Island Bridge. From there it's a 10-minute walk to Atlantis.

The water taxi is $3 per person each way. One of the crew members will talk a bit about the history of the island and point out some of the sights on the way over. They kind of expect a tip but only about half the passengers will give them a dollar. It's certainly not required.

So I think the water taxi is the way to go. Or maybe the water taxi over and a regular taxi back to downtown Nassau.

BobK/Orlando

Great minds think alike.. lol

And great timing too....you posted your entry just as I was typing my entry!

Now please scubagirl, go to my other posting about night club options in Nassau and respond to that one. YOU are the Nassau expert!

Thanks,

BobK/Orlando

And great timing too....you posted your entry just as I was typing my entry!

Now please scubagirl, go to my other posting about night club options in Nassau and respond to that one. YOU are the Nassau expert!

Thanks,

BobK/Orlando

\\

Gotcha.. check you post..

Archived