Thomson Position in the Market

Agree with the tick list.

Thomson will have to be careful, if they put the prices up then many will turn to other Cruise lines.

For instance, the cruise I fancy next Feb on the Dream is £150 less than the similar P&O cruise, if Thomson put the price up much more I might jump ship....

Agree with the tick list.

Thomson will have to be careful, if they put the prices up then many will turn to other Cruise lines.

For instance, the cruise I fancy next Feb on the Dream is £150 less than the similar P&O cruise, if Thomson put the price up much more I might jump ship....

And what's more in Feb this year you could have had 14 nights on the Azura or Ventura for £999! (Basic cabin grade) We very nearly went for it but got two more ports of call plus the Thomson entertainment we love (and the atmosphere on board of course) by booking for the Dream but we paid £600 more for it!!! Loyalty only goes so far.

We have just come back from two weeks on the Dream in the Caribbean and would love to go back next Feb. Not sure if it's best to book soon in case they push the prices up with the improvements or to book late which we did last time and got a good deal. Am really undecided.

We have just come back from two weeks on the Dream in the Caribbean and would love to go back next Feb. Not sure if it's best to book soon in case they push the prices up with the improvements or to book late which we did last time and got a good deal. Am really undecided.

Yes me too, its £1422 online at the moment for when I want to go in March, really can't decide if I should book now or wait.............:o

There was a response on the Thomson Blog when someone asked exactly the same question that existing bookings would not be affected by the Platinun upgrade, so yes, I'd reckon there is a pretty good chance that prices will go up just as soon as the new brochures are published.

But of course you can't be sure....

There was a response on the Thomson Blog when someone asked exactly the same question that existing bookings would not be affected by the Platinun upgrade, so yes, I'd reckon there is a pretty good chance that prices will go up just as soon as the new brochures are published.

But of course you can't be sure....

I'm going to be looking at the prices very carefully when the brochure comes out next week, comparing the prices with this summer's prices. It seems that the lead in price that has been posted on here is the same as this years - time will tell whether that will be the same story for the rest of the year. :confused:

I can't see them putting the prices up much for the winter Caribbean cruises if people have already booked them. Would seem unfair if someone has to pay a lot lot more now because of the Platinum upgrade announcement to someone who has already booked - then again, this is Thomson! ;)

Two weeks age on the Emerald Princess we tied up along side the Thompson Celebration in Antiqua. Have never heard of the line, and while the ship was almost half the size of the Emerald, she did have a nice look to her, particulalry the layered stern, well maintained and a nice sized vessel. However with no balconies I could not see being on a Caribbean Cruise.

What do you like about Thompson and what makes it a tier #3 line and what would it take to make it a tier #4 line (not sure what this means)'

Cheers

P.S. does anyone know where she got a nice bump on the starboard side up near the bridge...it looks like it was repaired some time ago?

Two weeks age on the Emerald Princess we tied up along side the Thompson Celebration in Antiqua. Have never heard of the line, and while the ship was almost half the size of the Emerald, she did have a nice look to her, particulalry the layered stern, well maintained and a nice sized vessel. However with no balconies I could not see being on a Caribbean Cruise.

What do you like about Thompson and what makes it a tier #3 line and what would it take to make it a tier #4 line (not sure what this means)'

Cheers

P.S. does anyone know where she got a nice bump on the starboard side up near the bridge...it looks like it was repaired some time ago?

I doubt it, Thomson Celebration spends her winters in the Red Sea ;)

It would be the Dream, and it does have balconies, 6 of them :D

good food, good entertainment, good price, well kept ships but not new, good itineries, great crews, have their own airline.

what makes it 3 star? For me the ships. With modern ships they would be 4 star.

That bulge was maybe the result of some accident in her long history. Previously she was Coasta Europa and collided with the dock at Sharm el Sheik. Sadly some crew members died.

Cheers

Not sure you saw the Celebration in Antigua - she's in the Red Sea currently and has been there all winter. As far as I know she has never been in the Caribbean. Thomson have had the Destiny and Dream in the Caribbean in recent years - but not Celebration. I don't think there are any plans for her to be in the Caribbean in the foreseeable future either. Dream is there for the 21012/13 seaon and we're expecting it to be there again 2013/14.

So, you are giving very confusing information and I'm not sure we're talking about the same ship.

As for Thomson being 3* and what regulars like about Thomson:-

3* not 4* on account of the age of the ship and the limited facilites, wow-factors and quality of cabin fixtures/fittings.

Why we like it: service, atmosphere, friendliness, and entertainment - this being regarded as 5* by many as the best as compared with most cruise-lines (unless you're into magicians, acrobats, opera singers and limited shows in which case it may not suit).

Just watched this slightly strange video on YouTube of the so called 'Platinum Cruise entertainment'. For some reason they've decided to do a performance in the middle of some TUI offices?? :confused:

Don't know what difference this is compared to normal cruise entertainment we have come to expect? Now, a video showing Majesty's entertainment would be more useful... ;)

Just watched this slightly strange video on YouTube of the so called 'Platinum Cruise entertainment'. For some reason they've decided to do a performance in the middle of some TUI offices?? :confused:

Don't know what difference this is compared to normal cruise entertainment we have come to expect? Now, a video showing Majesty's entertainment would be more useful... ;)

The same show was on the Destiny a few weeks ago done by their show team .

Are they telling us that this is new for the platinum cruises.:confused:

Somehow the Can Can Lounge and an office are not the same ,so fairplay to the cast as put into the right enviroment ,

that would have been a good show .:)

The phrase 'too clever for your own good' comes to mind. Thomson have (or had) a well deserved reputation for a solid, good mid market cruise experience which appealed to a lot of people but they seem to be frittering it away with the dilution of entertainment on Majesty and the presentation of refurbishments to two ships as moving up market when in reality it is just overdue refurbishment. There is only so much you can do to upgrade an old smallish ship however appealing it is and you certainly cannot charge premium prices as a result. Plus flying out to join the ship is an experience to be suffered rather than enjoyed.

There are better holiday options on offer.

I have been following these discussions with interest. We are taking our first cruise in Sept this year and it will be on the Celebration. Most comments I have seen have been favourable with all be it "common" issues. I would be interested to hear the other holiday options you have discovered to be better as we haven't yet discovered the alternatives for this section of the market and any information would help us.

Just watched the video - and am quite confused too. :confused: What is the conclusion we are meant to draw from this?

- 'Platinum Cruise Entertainment' - what to expect on Platinum ships and not the others?

- Something 'new' - not so, as others have pointed out this section form Les Mis has been around for a while. We've seen it at least twice in a show which also included excerpts from Miss Saigon and Cats (happy to see it any number of times too as it's part of a superb show imo).

It's a bit bizarre really - if they had advertised it as a taste of Thomson entertainment that would have been more understandable - but then again given the Majesty situation - perhaps they can't. If it isn't a taste of Thomson entertainment across the board they've had to careful not to infer it's typical over all their ships. But where does Spirit fit in? I bet it's the same as Celebration and Dream (Platinum ships).

By the way, isn't that Paul Fisher one of the CD's taking the part of the 'Master of the House'? I thought the girl taking the part of his wife in the clip was familiar too but I didn't recognise any other performers. They're probably a new team waiting to go out for the summer season. If anyone knows where Paul is Cd-ing from May that will probably tell us where this group is headed. Did anyone recognise anyone else?

mtt - you're our resident expert on the entertainers - do you know any more?

Just watched the video - and am quite confused too. :confused: What is the conclusion we are meant to draw from this?

- 'Platinum Cruise Entertainment' - what to expect on Platinum ships and not the others?

- Something 'new' - not so, as others have pointed out this section form Les Mis has been around for a while. We've seen it at least twice in a show which also included excerpts from Miss Saigon and Cats (happy to see it any number of times too as it's part of a superb show imo).

It's a bit bizarre really - if they had advertised it as a taste of Thomson entertainment that would have been more understandable - but then again given the Majesty situation - perhaps they can't. If it isn't a taste of Thomson entertainment across the board they've had to careful not to infer it's typical over all their ships. But where does Spirit fit in? I bet it's the same as Celebration and Dream (Platinum ships).

By the way, isn't that Paul Fisher one of the CD's taking the part of the 'Master of the House'? I thought the girl taking the part of his wife in the clip was familiar too but I didn't recognise any other performers. They're probably a new team waiting to go out for the summer season. If anyone knows where Paul is Cd-ing from May that will probably tell us where this group is headed. Did anyone recognise anyone else?

mtt - you're our resident expert on the entertainers - do you know any more?

Not seen anything but Paul fisher was in keighley last week, looks like he may be part of a new team which looks like anold team from the dream, which his wife is part of

Not seen anything but Paul fisher was in keighley last week, looks like he may be part of a new team which looks like anold team from the dream, which his wife is part of

That was quick! :D That is him in the video though isn't it?

"By the way, isn't that Paul Fisher one of the CD's taking the part of the 'Master of the House'? I thought the girl taking the part of his wife in the clip was familiar too but I didn't recognise any other performers"

Yes

There are 4 familiar performers

There is Paul Fisher and Kate Fisher.

The lad singing at 11mins til 12 mins ( camera close up) pretty much solo singing is Marcus who has been on the Destiny a couple of times.

The lass in the yellow blouse who does no solo singing has been in previous Thomson show teams but I can not recall her name.

The other performers I have not seen on any of the ships.

"By the way, isn't that Paul Fisher one of the CD's taking the part of the 'Master of the House'? I thought the girl taking the part of his wife in the clip was familiar too but I didn't recognise any other performers"

Yes

There are 4 familiar performers

There is Paul Fisher and Kate Fisher.

The lad singing at 11mins til 12 mins ( camera close up) pretty much solo singing is Marcus who has been on the Destiny a couple of times.

The lass in the yellow blouse who does no solo singing has been in previous Thomson show teams but I can not recall her name.

The other performers I have not seen on any of the ships.

Thanks for that - wonder where they are off too for the summer. From the date it looks like they are a team who have been rehearsing and waiting to go out as of now. Not Majesty as I understand Kane's CD there so it will be interesting to see which CD's are where now the first sailings are underway.

Archived