Buffet for dinner?

ddgleason

On our Victory cruise in Febuary 2011 the lido buffet had TONS of chocolate melting cakes for dinner. We ate in the main dining room each night but we passed them many times after eating dinner. One of our friends got one to go back to their room for later :p

This is certainly one of those "to each his own" types of things, but I think the whole eating in the MDR experience is highly overrated. It feels to me like I'm eating dinner at a hotel wedding reception. Ugh! We rarely do it anymore, and with so many other options, never go hungry. ;)

We seem to just be past it, I guess. After 17 cruises (mostly on RCI) we don't feel the need to dress for dinner. Kind of funny that in all those cruises we have never done the buffet for dinner. Have done specialty but not buffet. And I forgot about the dancing waiters on Carnival. I wouldn't miss that.

I have 26 Carnival cruises and feel the same way about getting dressed up for dinner. I typically wear a capri outfit on cruise casual nights and never feel out of place in the MDR. Maybe it's because I'm not really paying attention to what others have on, so I don't really care what they think of what I have on?

If I don't bring cruise elegant cloths (which I typically don't anymore) I eat in the buffet or have pizza or sushi for dinner.

I was surprised on the Magic last month at all of the extra eating venues. I only ate in the MDR in the evening 3 times.

We do it every cruise. Our PVP books us for ATD so that we have the option, but usually we skip the MDR entirely. I've only been on one ship (the Destiny) that had the WCMC at the lido buffet. The desserts are definitely lackluster in the buffet, so if you're a big dessert person, you may want to eat in the MDR at least a few of the evenings. We don't miss the dining room one bit, but we have six kids (ages 14-32) between the two of us, so when DH and I travel solo limiting interaction with others is a vacation goal, LOL!

Seems like they have every other dessert, other than warm chocolate melting cake. :(

Wife and I did the Liberty western cruise in 2009, and at least one night they did have the chocolate melting cake on the buffet. I know, because I had 2 there, and one while in the MDR a few hours earlier!

DH and I are doing a quick 3 day next month. For the first time, we are seriously thinking about skipping the MDR altogether. Has anyone done this? Do they have similar foods in the buffet at dinner as what is being served in the MDR? The warm chocolate melting cake is my biggest concern :D. We have never, in all of our cruises, done the buffet for dinner. I am thinking it might be nice to not have to dress for dinner and also eat when we feel like it without worrying about our dining time or reservation time. And eat at our own pace. Just sounds more relaxing to me.

I would never consider skipping the MDR, as I love the wait service, and the way the plates are presented, the nicely dressed table and the menu.

Some of the items are available at the buffet, but you wont find the lobster. I only do 7 day cruises, and I do usually once skip the MDR in a week, because Im tired from a port visit and want to eat quickly. There is certainly more than enough great stuff to eat at the buffet for dinner. As for dressing up, that is happening less and less. Even elegant nights are not so fancy anymore.

Just because I wouldnt consider dining in the buffet every night, doesnt mean your choice is not right. It sounds like it is right for you, so I say go for it.

But if you are going to do this, as another posted has said, do advise the dining room that you wont be going. That will help Maitre'D with reseating people who want to dine there in the MDR and dont like their tables or location. It will help them to know that you wont be coming to the MDR at all.

Have a great cruise.:)

We did this on one cruise. This was prior to Your Time Dining and it was nice to have the flexibility. We now book YTD, but if that weren't available, the buffet is always an option. :D But, you do still need to wear clothes at the buffet. ;)

As one who eats often at the buffet or the grill, how much clothing you have to wear seems debatable! Never have I seen so much cleavage in an eatery...both types!

On our last cruise on the Pride we skipped the MDR a couple nights, especially after being on excursion on port days - we were too tired to get dressed up at dinner. At the buffet we could pick and choose the things we liked. Also, there were rows and rows of WCMC available for dessert. MMMmmm good!!

We ate at the buffet 2 nights on our last cruise. They had things that were on the MDR menu, but not all the things.

They did not have the warm chocolate cake either of the nights we were there. It was a totally different atmosphere. I can't say I enjoyed it in that it was a very empty, cold environment.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it again, ie, if we were late going to dinner for some reason, but I don't think it would be a choice for us.

Archived