Buffet for dinner?

ddgleason

DH and I are doing a quick 3 day next month. For the first time, we are seriously thinking about skipping the MDR altogether. Has anyone done this? Do they have similar foods in the buffet at dinner as what is being served in the MDR? The warm chocolate melting cake is my biggest concern :D. We have never, in all of our cruises, done the buffet for dinner. I am thinking it might be nice to not have to dress for dinner and also eat when we feel like it without worrying about our dining time or reservation time. And eat at our own pace. Just sounds more relaxing to me.

DH and I are doing a quick 3 day next month. For the first time, we are seriously thinking about skipping the MDR altogether. Has anyone done this? Do they have similar foods in the buffet at dinner as what is being served in the MDR? The warm chocolate melting cake is my biggest concern :D. We have never, in all of our cruises, done the buffet for dinner. I am thinking it might be nice to not have to dress for dinner and also eat when we feel like it without worrying about our dining time or reservation time. And eat at our own pace. Just sounds more relaxing to me.

I am not an MDR person as I travel solo and really don't want to sit through a 1 1/2 or 2 hour dinner each night, so I usually dine at the buffet or one of the specialty restaurants for dinner each evening. I have found the dinner menus to be fine at the Lido or buffet, as many times they have some of the dishes being served in the MDR on the buffet. It does vary by what line you are sailing but most of them do this. On my last cruise a TA of 15 days on HAL I never did dine at the MDR in the evening. I have always been able to find something that satisfied me. Happy Sailing.

MRD dinner and getting dressed is one of the best things about cruising:)

Den

More and more we eat at the buffet. Many of the same foods, you can see if it is hot, no rush, no dressing up, quick in and out. The last 7 day cruise we had only 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts in the MDR, and that was too much.

We personally hate 1.5-2 hour meals, the waiters seemed bothered by us and we hate the goofy dancing waiter schtick. So I think we are done with MDR the next time.

Our first cruise it was nice, food was good and waiters were actually friendly, the last 2 cruises, food was just so-so and waiters with attitudes.

Buffet makes it a fine cruise with us.

Also not having to pack any long pants anymore will be so nice

My last cruise I did the Buffett for the first time and actually really enjoyed it. The food was very good and it just made for a nice relaxing easy going experience. I say go for it at least once. Enjoy your cruise.

MRD dinner and getting dressed is one of the best things about cruising:)

Den

We seem to just be past it, I guess. After 17 cruises (mostly on RCI) we don't feel the need to dress for dinner. Kind of funny that in all those cruises we have never done the buffet for dinner. Have done specialty but not buffet. And I forgot about the dancing waiters on Carnival. I wouldn't miss that.

Eating at the buffet sounds so appealing sometimes with the easy in and out, serve what you want, as much as you want. Why can't I MAKE myself skip the main dining room? It's like an obsession I can't quit! And I totally agree with some of you that some of my MDR experiences have been LESS than I expected. Why do I make myself do this every night? I must think I am going to miss out on something.

On one of our RC cruises, my husband and I skipped the second formal night. Just didn't feel like changing again for dinner, wandered into the Windjammer and enjoyed most of the same items that were being served in the MDR that night. It was casual and laid back.

It's great to have choices.

Eating at the buffet sounds so appealing sometimes with the easy in and out, serve what you want, as much as you want. Why can't I MAKE myself skip the main dining room? It's like an obsession I can't quit! And I totally agree with some of you that some of my MDR experiences have been LESS than I expected. Why do I make myself do this every night? I must think I am going to miss out on something.

same here. even going to the supper club, i am thinking i'm missing something in the mdr, especially if we are seated with others.

On one of our RC cruises, my husband and I skipped the second formal night. Just didn't feel like changing again for dinner, wandered into the Windjammer and enjoyed most of the same items that were being served in the MDR that night. It was casual and laid back.

It's great to have choices.

Yes, it is! Our next cruise is with HAL, and instead of dragging along the tux and cocktail dresses, we are seriously thinking of skipping the formal nights and ordering room service or maybe even the buffet. I am afraid I won't like my decision once the formal night rolls around though.. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is! Our next cruise is with HAL, and instead of dragging along the tux and cocktail dresses, we are seriously thinking of skipping the formal nights and ordering room service or maybe even the buffet. I am afraid I won't like my decision once the formal night rolls around though.. :rolleyes:

I would be happy with only 1 formal night on a 7-day.

Princess and HAL both have the same menu available at night in the Lido.

For room service on HAL, as long as you call during normal dinner hours you can get anything on the MDR menu that you want delivered by room service.

Wonderful. Planning to eat at the Lido a couple of days on my next cruise based on early excursions or time in port and how much I eat at Nachi Cocum.

Princess and HAL both have the same menu available at night in the Lido.

For room service on HAL, as long as you call during normal dinner hours you can get anything on the MDR menu that you want delivered by room service.

Wonderful. Planning to eat at the Lido a couple of days on my next cruise based on early excursions or time in port and how much I eat at Nachi Cocum.

we went to nachi and skipped the MDR that night too but it wasn't because we ate too much.;)

Bill

We never eat in dining room anymore. Been there done that. Alot less to pack and we eat when we want at our leisure and it is so relaxing. Our cruise experience is to relax and not dress up and to go at our own pace. All that is possible eating at Lido for dinner.

Archived