Leaving Sunday on the Gem First Cruise and some dumb questions about payment on board

ladybugpug

As we pay for items on board (alcohol etc) is it automatically debited from our credit card on file or is it a running tab that we settle at the end of the cruise? As DH and I get paid direct deposit towards the end of the cruise this will make a difference in how much disposible income I have to spend. The later I have to pay the BETTER lol. We did pay our gratuaties already when we booked.

Also does Great Stirrup have a straw market? I'm trying to budget for some souveniors for the kids. Again would be great if the stuff purchased on Great Stirrup didn't need to be paid for until the end of the cruise.

Planning a cruise a week before payday was not my brightest moment. :o

When you register to get onto the ship, you present a form of payment (e.g. credit card) and an on board account is setup. Each keycard is linked to the onboard account, so you present your keycard when you buy something on the ship. You could have each keycard go to a separate credit card if you so desire.

You settle up at the end by the ship clearing all the charges to the card provided previously and you will get a bill the last night showing all charges. You can of course request one earlier to review charges as you get a receipt at almost every purchase you make. There is no need to physically go to guest services unless there is a discrepancy.

When you go to check in at the terminal and they ask you for your credit card or form of payment they should ask you who is allowed to charge. If you do not want your kids able to charge on this account make sure they know this. If you do want them to have access, then let them know that as well. Be warned that kids can charge up quite a bit without even realizing it.

No need to worry. One bill at the end and it is automatically put onto your credit or debit card. Your statement will be in your room or on your door the last night. Look it over and make sure everything is yours. They do not often make mistakes, but it does happen and they will take it off.

Have a wonderful trip and be sure to come back and tell us all about it

what kind of payment do they accept, cash or your ship card?

The vendors are not affiliated with NCL, so your ship card is no good there. We forgot to bring cash to Great Stirrup Cay, but the stuff they sell is basically the same tourist junk that you can pick up at the straw market in Nassau.

As we pay for items on board (alcohol etc) is it automatically debited from our credit card on file or is it a running tab that we settle at the end of the cruise? As DH and I get paid direct deposit towards the end of the cruise this will make a difference in how much disposible income I have to spend. The later I have to pay the BETTER lol. We did pay our gratuaties already when we booked.

Also does Great Stirrup have a straw market? I'm trying to budget for some souveniors for the kids. Again would be great if the stuff purchased on Great Stirrup didn't need to be paid for until the end of the cruise.

Planning a cruise a week before payday was not my brightest moment. :o

A hold gets placed on your CC at check in. Nothing is actually charged until the end of the cruise.

GSC has a small market, cash only. You can charge drinks or excursions to your room.

You can keep track of your charges right on the Gem's TV.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Archived