Looong layover in SFO

Pearl64

We are taking a cruise on the Solstice to NZ/Australia. We have a direct flight from Pittsburgh early morning to San Francisco. We have over a 9 hour layover. We could have divided it up but it will be January and we needed to figure snow into the equation. Anyways, is there someplace where we can take a nap for a couple of hours? Are there any hotels that will "rent" space for a short period of time? We are flying United from Pittsburgh to SFO but then Air NZ to Auckland. How does one go about getting a day pass for one of the airline lounges? We do not belong to any nor do we have enough miles to do much. I do not want to fight traffic by going into the city. We have been there so really are not interested in doing that before our long flight to NZ. We are open to suggestions as what to do to pass the time and possibly catch some sleep. I know we should not sleep too much as we need to save our sleep for the long flight. We have a similar problem coming back but the time is less--about 6 hours.

I will post this on the cruise air as well.

We are open to all suggestions. Thank you.

Pearl

I've never used the Delta Sky Club at SFO but at other airports, it's wonderful. You can buy a pass directly from Delta or check out Ebay if you want to save a few bucks.

https://www.delta.com/crownrooms/oneVisitLanding.action

You can also buy them once you get to the club at the airport

I believe most airline clubs sell one-day passes. Pretty sure those of United, US Airways and Alaska, as well as Delta, do. You'd have to check directly to se which have showers, if that's important. I know US Airways clubs don't. At ATL, one of the Delta clubs had showers and others did not. No place to sleep (though people snooze sitting on sofas), but still more relaxing than out in the main terminal areas. http://bookadayroom.com/ is one of many sites listing day rooms at various airports/cities. We've just called hotels directly and asked if they have day room rates. You don't say the exact hours needed. I would assume you'd need to be out of the room anywhere from 5 to 7.

If you'd rather not hang around the airport, there's a nice shopping mall quite close to the airport - called The Shops at Tanforan, 1150 El Camino Real, San Bruno. A cab would have you there in about 15-20 minutes. It's quite large, lots of shops and restaurants, even a movie complex. Just make sure you allow plenty of time to get back to the airport and clear security for your flight.

1150 El Camino Real, San Bruno

Archived