From Monsoon To Muster: Quest March 26, 2012

MightyQuinn

Thank you for your detailed report. You mentioned that you had a flashlight. Did you have anything else - besides patience and good humor - that you were glad to have? Anything you would do differently in preparing for your next cruise, knowing that a similar emergency is extremely unlikely? Thank you.

In fact, I'm awaiting word whether this notion that began as a result of the March 26th Quest experience, will become an actual reality. You'll also notice a discussion concerning the differences that seem to exist among global markets about the time-limit on the FCC. Once I'm briefed on the outcome of the discussion on both topics, I will report back to all concerned on a separate thread.
Thanks Bill. I'm sure Azamara is very busy with the aftermath of all these issues but things will get sorted out soon. As Host Andy would say, I'll stay tuned!

Thank you for your detailed report. You mentioned that you had a flashlight. Did you have anything else - besides patience and good humor - that you were glad to have? Anything you would do differently in preparing for your next cruise, knowing that a similar emergency is extremely unlikely? Thank you.
The incident on Quest has reinforced some of our practices and changed others:

1) Always carry a flashlight. Ours was still in our suitcase under the bed when we returned to our pitch-dark room, so we’ll make sure to unpack it in the future! We learned that a fellow passenger had a tiny yet powerful LED pocket flashlight that he carried around all the time, so he had it during muster. We’re going to check it out.

2) Travel with electronics. We regretted not having an iPad with us.

3) For future cruises, I plan to have the clothes and shoes that we’d wear in an evacuation all together in a readily accessible place in our closet.

4) Take stairs rather than elevators as often as possible to avoid the potential of being trapped should there be an unexpected power outage. This is our usual practice anyway, so we’ll keep it up.

5) Unrelated to the muster incident, but always travel with seasickness remedies. We never cruise without Bonine and ginger capsules and take them whether we need to or not. We were grateful for them when the monsoon struck.

We’ve also thought a lot more about the ships that we’d sail in the future. There were only 590 passengers on Quest, yet corridors and stairwells did become crowded, but still manageable, when we all headed to our muster stations. We’re now even more committed to sailing on these smaller ships.

The incident on Quest has reinforced some of our practices and changed others:

1) Always carry a flashlight. Ours was still in our suitcase under the bed when we returned to our pitch-dark room, so we’ll make sure to unpack it in the future! We learned that a fellow passenger had a tiny yet powerful LED pocket flashlight that he carried around all the time, so he had it during muster. We’re going to check it out.

2) Travel with electronics. We regretted not having an iPad with us.

3) For future cruises, I plan to have the clothes and shoes that we’d wear in an evacuation all together in a readily accessible place in our closet.

4) Take stairs rather than elevators as often as possible to avoid the potential of being trapped should there be an unexpected power outage. This is our usual practice anyway, so we’ll keep it up.

5) Unrelated to the muster incident, but always travel with seasickness remedies. We never cruise without Bonine and ginger capsules and take them whether we need to or not. We were grateful for them when the monsoon struck.

We’ve also thought a lot more about the ships that we’d sail in the future. There were only 590 passengers on Quest, yet corridors and stairwells did become crowded, but still manageable, when we all headed to our muster stations. We’re now even more committed to sailing on these smaller ships.

Thanks, we are packing for next week departure and we'll add all those important little things in our luggage. Also, we'll get a bag with clothes ready just in case...:confused:

What is bonine? I've never heared of it? Where do you buy it?
Bonine is a brand name for Meclizine, which is an antihistamine that's proven helpful for motion sickness. I believe it's also known as Dramamine.

Unfortunately, it's no longer sold in Canada, so we pop across the border and stock up in the US, where it's readily available. In Canada, you can get Gravol as well as ear patches or pressure-bands which many people find effective. They are sold OTC at many pharmacies.

Bonine is a brand name for Meclizine, which is an antihistamine that's proven helpful for motion sickness. I believe it's also known as Dramamine.

Unfortunately, it's no longer sold in Canada, so we pop across the border and stock up in the US, where it's readily available. In Canada, you can get Gravol as well as ear patches or pressure-bands which many people find effective. They are sold OTC at many pharmacies.

Bonine (Meclizine) and Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) are different. Bonine seems to leave people less drowsy.

THanks for the info, we've already packed Gravol but I'll buy ginger capsuls.:)

Hi Mighty,

I have been away so didnt see this post of yours.

As usual in typical Mighty style - makes fabulous reading - are you a writer by trade?

I see also that they are including this itinerary for 2014.

I may consider it as it looks pretty good.

Must have been scarey when it happened . My first thought was that you were on the ship when I heard about it.

Am sure you enjoyed the wonderful street food in Singapore.

Miriam

Archived