Which Itinerary with kids? Eastern or Western Caribbean??

Domb23

I am planning on taking my wife and 2 daughters on a cruise in August '13 on Carnival, and would like to know if either the Eastern Caribbean or Western Caribbean itineraries would be better for a family?? Any and all comments would be welcomed!!!

Thanks!!

It totally depends on what experience you want. I find the eastern routes rather boring, the beaches are nice and the shopping is good, but there's less culture. Not none, but less. The western itineraries lead very well to exploration of ancient ruins and many interesting history lessons. We loved our western Caribbean cruise, it's just unfortunate that there are not as many variations offered for the west as there are in the east.

My Daughters will be 11 and 7 next summer!! There are a few Carnival cruises that I am looking at:

Carnival Liberty: Western Caribbean 7 night

Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, 2 sea Days

Carnival Breeze: Eastern Caribbean 6 night

Key West, Grand Turk, Nassau, 2 sea days

Carnival Conquest: Western Caribbean 7 night

Montego Bay Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, 3 sea days

Carnival Dream: Eastern Caribbean 7 night

Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin, 3 sea days

I hope this additional info helps!! Any hints would be appreciated!!!

C

The girls are old enough to enjoy some outdoor excitement and maybe learn something too, so I'd lean toward western. There are ziplines, ruins, snorkling and some beaches too. Eastern is more about beaches to me. I would pick Carnval Liberty's itinerary.

I agree with GORDONCHICK. The Western Caribbean on Carnival Liberty sounds like it would be the best fit for your family. All are terrific ports of call with many great things to see or do. Lots of history and culture, along with great options for food native to the country or region. You can make each stop as exciting or as relaxing as you'd like. i think your family would have a blast.

You might want to start checking out the ports of call boards for a look at some of the activities/experiences available.

(BTW, Cozumel is one of my favorite stops--a great place with lots going on)

Good luck on whatever you choose!

My Daughters will be 11 and 7 next summer!! There are a few Carnival cruises that I am looking at:

This one gets our vote! :)

I just took me kids on the same itinerary as the Liberty. They are a little older and boys, but they loved it!

That being said, I have been with my kids to all mentioned ports but Nassau (I was there years ago though). To be honest, I look at cruises in a way of me and DH never, ever want to go back to Jamaica! To be honest, it was my most uncomfortable port experience ever!

I can't necessarily agree that the beaches in Eastern are better than Western. I know last time I was in St Thomas/St Marteen the beaches we went to (threw the ship at the time.. silly us though!) we a lot more rocky than what we have experienced anywhere in Western.

We aren't necessarily culture people more animal/water people so honestly that isn't even a factor for us as a family though. Our next cruise is a Southern, then after that we will do the other Southern ports. I like to pick places we haven't been yet as a factor also :)

You might want to take into account the ships also. The Dream and Breeze will have things the others don't. We were on the Legend which is one of the "old school" ships with no bells and whistles.

Carnival Breeze: Eastern Caribbean 6 night

Key West, Grand Turk, Nassau, 2 sea days

Carnival Conquest: Western Caribbean 7 night

Montego Bay Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, 3 sea days

Carnival Dream: Eastern Caribbean 7 night

Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin, 3 sea days

I hope this additional info helps!! Any hints would be appreciated!!!

C

I recommend the Conquest out of NOLA. The usual Western Caribbean ports - but also a good excuse to visit historic New Orleans.

I would have to agree with the Liberty. All the ports have options that are good for families. Last year my husband and I went to both ports in Jamaica and NOLA. Jamaica scared me and although the history is wonderful in NOLA. We agree that it is no place to take our children to until they are older.

Archived