cuban cigars??

Davechipp74

"US Nationals(citizens or permanent residents) are prohibited from trading with the enemy any where in the world."

I'm sorry, but you have to be kidding using terms like that, right? I understand your message, but to call Cuba "the enemy" is going a bit far.

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the name of the statute which prohibits bringing Cuban goods into the U.S. and, ostensibly, purchasing Cuban goods anywhere in the world, is the "Trading with the Enemy Act," or something to that effect.

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the name of the statute which prohibits bringing Cuban goods into the U.S. and, ostensibly, purchasing Cuban goods anywhere in the world, is the "Trading with the Enemy Act," or something to that effect.

TRADING WITH THE ENEMY ACT OF 1917(amended to include the Cuban Sanctions)

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Documents/twea.pdf

that is what the name of the statute is. Not my choice of words.

I personally think that the Cuban embargo has long outlived its usefulness but Florida is a swing state in presidential politics and the Cuban lobby has long been stronger than its size should allow.

I personally think that the Cuban embargo has long outlived its usefulness but Florida is a swing state in presidential politics and the Cuban lobby has long been stronger than its size should allow.

You are correct, that is the name of the statute that restricts trade with foreign countries, usually only in a time of war. When you mentioned it in your post, I didn't put two and two together. Sorry about that.

If someone knows, is there any country on that list, other than Cuba anymore? I thought I read a few years ago that North Kore was removed from the list leaving Cuba as the only country remaining.

I'l have to google it!;)

You are correct, that is the name of the statute that restricts trade with foreign countries, usually only in a time of war. When you mentioned it in your post, I didn't put two and two together. Sorry about that.

If someone knows, is there any country on that list, other than Cuba anymore? I thought I read a few years ago that North Kore was removed from the list leaving Cuba as the only country remaining.

I'l have to google it!;)

Iran and North Korea and Syria and others besides Cuba

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/Programs.aspx

"US Nationals(citizens or permanent residents) are prohibited from trading with the enemy any where in the world."

I'm sorry, but you have to be kidding using terms like that, right? I understand your message, but to call Cuba "the enemy" is going a bit far.

If anything, I think the world in general views the US as the agressor in this issue. In recent years, 190 of the 192 nations at the UN have asked for the trade embargo to Cuba to end. Only the US and Israel opposed the resolution.

I also really believe that most Americans would like to see the embargo end as well. The cold war is long over, the US does massive trade with Vietnam, China, Japan, and other nations it was once at war with. Why does Cuba stand out? What logical reason is there for this embargo to continue more than 50 years later?

Sorry for getting off topic, but the term "enemy" brings a certain connotation to it that I felt was not justified in this case.

I don't want to get into the "morality" of bringing Cuban cigars back home after a trip abroad.

However, the Cuban Embargo has been brought up and I believe that we should be free to travel there. But will point out that the US is Cuba's 4th largest trading partner and has been for years. The main difference in our trade with the Castro's as opposed to all of the other countries is that the US insists that Cuba pays por its purchases cash. Can't blame the US after Castro expropriated billions of American dollars. The embargo is all about Castro wanting the US to give them credit which they'll never pay back.

The only way Customs knows that you are bringing Cuban cigars is if they actually open your bags. If and when that happens they'll confiscate them and trash them. We've been on 25 plus cruises in the last 20 years and have never had our bags opened. I'm not saying that it can't happen.

Also, when in Mexico 90% of the "Cubans", especially those bought from street vendors, are fake, bank on it.

Jorge

The embargo is a personal grudge against the castro brothers. When they are dead, Cuba will be opened up.

Don't get trampled in the stampede.

The embargo is a personal grudge against the castro brothers. When they are dead, Cuba will be opened up.

Don't get trampled in the stampede.

I agree with you but to say that we trade with China, Viet Nam and others and not with Cuba is disengenous and not true.

Jorge

I don't want to get into the "morality" of bringing Cuban cigars back home after a trip abroad.

The only way Customs knows that you are bringing Cuban cigars is if they actually open your bags. If and when that happens they'll confiscate them and trash them. We've been on 25 plus cruises in the last 20 years and have never had our bags opened. I'm not saying that it can't happen.

Also, when in Mexico 90% of the "Cubans", especially those bought from street vendors, are fake, bank on it.

Jorge

And some give them to their friends!!!:D

I agree with you but to say that we trade with China, Viet Nam and others and not with Cuba is disengenous and not true.

Jorge

Our country has no problem dealing with. trading with or corresponding with any other country, no matter how crummy their leaders are. Cuba is the only one. It ain't cuz he's a dictator who treats people poorly or takes their stuff.

That said, the moral police always make me chuckle a little. They quote laws and moral rules about you "choosing which law we will obey and which we won’t". Yet I am sure that none of them ever drive more than 55 in a 55 zone. They all come to a full and complete stop at a stop sign and never enter an intersection on a yellow light. Yet these are all laws too.

yes the moral police can break those laws, and the go on some message board somewhere, with their holier than thou attitude. welcome to the internet :rolleyes:

i personally go with the whole, can you walk on water? bit

Go ahead. Most likely you'll be buying fakes. :rolleyes:

I go to Cuba once a year. Why would you think I would buy fakes? Not being a US citizen, I can take them to Miami and mail them before I go on my cruise.

Not being a US citizen, I can take them to Miami and mail them before I go on my cruise.

No you cannot. It is illegal to introduce Cuban cigars in to the United States, regardless if you are a citizen or not.

I'm not saying it's the crime of the century. But the fact remains it is illegal for you also. Here is the reference:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/cuban_cigars.xml

yes the moral police can break those laws, and the go on some message board somewhere, with their holier than thou attitude. welcome to the internet :rolleyes:

i personally go with the whole, can you walk on water? bit

But just about everything you post here is "What can I get away with no matter what the rules or laws are". There is no moral police here, we are just pointing out just how morally corrupt some people have become. You are going to do what you are going to do no matter what is said to you here. This is just a game to you and a few others. How sad.

John

But just about everything you post here is "What can I get away with no matter what the rules or laws are". There is no moral police here, we are just pointing out just how morally corrupt some people have become. You are going to do what you are going to do no matter what is said to you here. This is just a game to you and a few others. How sad.

John

I agree!

Sigh.........:(

Archived