Seward National Park Cruise

taphappy

Hi everyone,

I am spending a port day in Seward as a stop over in a back to back cruise in mid May.

The National Park cruises look appealing and I'm thinking about taking the one at 11:30 AM which is 6 hours.

Question: Anyone taken a National Park cruise? If so, can you comment about how it was?

Question: Is it necessary to book in advance or can you book once you get into the port?

Sincerely,

Nina

If this is the Kenai Fjords tour, yes, take the long tour. It is well worth the ride. I would opt not to take the local one that only tours the bay. We have been on the tour at least 3 times and everyone has been great. It can be a bit bouncy so be warned.

Question: Is it necessary to book in advance or can you book once you get into the port?

"necessary"? Probably not. But if you want to be sure to avoid being locked out since the tour is full, you should book in advance. The tours are usually busy especially on cruise days, but also other days.

Which operator would you recommend? They both have the 6-hour tours.

Thanks!

I always recommend the one I can get the best discount with :). For me, the meal is almost irrelevant. I can bring my own food or whatever - I am outside on deck probably more than anyone else on board. An "all you can eat buffet" makes no sense to me on such cruises.

I always recommend the one I can get the best discount with :). For me, the meal is almost irrelevant. I can bring my own food or whatever - I am outside on deck probably more than anyone else on board. An "all you can eat buffet" makes no sense to me on such cruises.

How do you get the discount?

I know there are the 2 for 1 coupon books but there is no coupon for the 11:30am tours

( Kenai has 1 but it is not good on Friday's when we will be there ).

Major Marine is the only one with a possible coupon offer. They are very limited availablity on cruiseship days.

I have been on these tours over 20 times, and they are a "must" for me. Already booked for 2 this year.

They are loaded with varied wildlife and a close up glacier viewing.

The negative above comment about the buffet, is unfounded in my opinion. Their salmon is always perfectly cooked and from the Copper River. The buffet is well organized. They serve it usually at the glacier, which has extended time for viewing. It's a good option for those with the interest.

Thanks all for the suggestions and for the warning that the boat might rock a bit!

The long cruise sound spectacular.

Sorry, if this is a silly question - does to boat tour depart nearby the cruise dock?

Sincerely,

Nina

Thanks all for the suggestions and for the warning that the boat might rock a bit!

The long cruise sound spectacular.

Sorry, if this is a silly question - does to boat tour depart nearby the cruise dock?

Sincerely,

Nina

It's about a 1/2 mile from the cruiseship dock. Shuttles are available.

The negative above comment about the buffet, is unfounded in my opinion. Their salmon is always perfectly cooked and from the Copper River. The buffet is well organized. They serve it usually at the glacier, which has extended time for viewing. It's a good option for those with the interest.

Not so much a "negative comment" on my part, just that food on these tours is the lowest priority for me. I am usually out on the deck 90% of the trip. Why stay inside for food, then join the "mad rush" once something interesting is spotted? I am already outside and have my ideal location secured for viewing and photography. You often mention your priority for touring not food on tours in places like Juneau. You have a right to have more of a priority for food on the Kenai Fjords tours. I don't begrudge that. For me it is not a priority. Eating at the glacier is IMHO one of the worst times - just when someone goes in to get food the glacier calves :-)

There are some other avenues for discounts - one time the Iditarod offered a special for a Kenai Fjords tour, I have seen the Alaska tourist website/emails offer a discount. Subscribe to Emails, read websites, etc, etc. Groupon has offered varied Alaska tours at a substantial discount, though I have not seen Kenai Fjords tours on there yet - but if of interest subscribe to Groupon, Living Social, etc, etc.

We did the long Kenai Fjords Tour and IMHO it was the second most memorable thing on our cruisetour (first place going to Denail NP). There is not a shadow of a doubt that I would do that.

Knowing that you want to do it, I would make the reservation now. Why not?

If you are landing in Seward and planning to take the Kenai Fjords boat, then 100's of other fellow cruise ship passengers who are getting off your cruise ship at the same time might also have the same idea in mind. If it's something you want, I'd book it now too.

Check alaska-discounts dot com and toursaver dot com websites for their coupon books. You can read all of the 2 for 1 coupons before you decide to purchase the book. Also, I would imagine that the Kenai Fjords boat only takes a limited number of 2 for 1 passengers, so you should book it ahead of time if you are interested.

Wow,

I can't wait to be in Seward!

I didn't use my binoculars much the last time I took an Alaska cruise RT Seattle...but it sound like it is a must for Seward - right?

What was your absolute favorite sighting on Seward National Park Cruise? Just so I be on the lookout for it...hopefully I will have beginners luck!

Sincerely,

Nina

What was your absolute favorite sighting on Seward National Park Cruise? Just so I be on the lookout for it...hopefully I will have beginners luck!

I was very lucky, so don't count on it. But probably my favorite sighting was a humpback whale breaching multiple times. Got great sightings and great photos of it.

I had a repeative breeching humpback as well. But, I enjoy it all, last year saw many mt goats and many twin kids. Last 5 trips over 2 years, have had 100% sightings of the resident orcas, which is a "new" location for them in the past several years. I've seen bears on shorelines, lazy sea lions hauled out, rafts of sea otters, puffins and more puffins, Arctic Terns, harbor seals. Dalls porpoises, criss crossing over and over in front, under and behind the boat. etc etc This boat tour is always a must do tour for me, including 2 more this year. I also, now always add a Prince William Sound boat tour every trip as well, which I didn't use to. I greatly enjoy those too. I also am out on boats out of Homer and Valdez- so much of Alaska is the sea- consider seeing it. :)

Hi,

I am doing b2b cruises RT Vancouver this time and so only have the day in Seward.

though from what you said about Prince William Sound and the others, its sound like I have lots to learn and good reason to return!

Many thanks for sharing Alaska experiences. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely, Nina

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know which vendor Royal Caribbean uses for their Kenai Fjord excursion? How would you rate them? We'd price it out both ways but are considering the boat ride followed by the airport drop-off.

We would be flying the next morning so the arrival time at ANK wouldn't be an issue...we'd have a hotel waiting for us.

Thanks!

Steve

I am sure you will find that people's opinions on this subject will vary. Both lines offer a nice tour so I am sure whichever one you choose you will be happy with your selection. For us, we tried Major Marine and Kenai Fjords and decided that for we preferred Kenai Fjords just a tad better. The food on Major Marine was not a big draw for us either.

Under my signature below you will find pictures of our Kenai Fjord excursion (look under Seward).

• 6 months later...

The descriptions of all the wildlife sounds great!

To manage my expectations, for those who have taken it multiple times, what is the LEAST wildlife you have seen on these tours? When the weather is worse, do the sightings also get worse? Would the scenery still be worth it on this cruise?

It's about a 1/2 mile from the cruiseship dock. Shuttles are available.

We are arriving in Seward doing the SeaLife Center first then the Kenai Fjords tour at 11:30 am. Are their shuttles from the cruise ship to the SeaLife Center & one from that area to Kenai Fjords tour ? :)

Please understand, you will see a LOT of wildlife on this tour. Why? Because the captains of all these ships, and I mean Kenai, MM, and independants, all stay in touch and let each other know where everything is. They will also be VERY careful not to actually disturb said wildlife. These guys, everyone of them I have met, are dedicated enviromental protectionists. They love the Park and it's inhabitants. If there is a 'can't miss' tour in Alaska, this one is it.

Take the longer tour, making certain it goes to Aialik Glacier, which calves more than any glacier I have personally seen. I think the 8.5hr tour was the one we were on. I liked the food, but that is not what you miss by taking the 6hr. It is more time with the wildlife. Look for the amazing sea otters too. Mountain goats abound, and bears are common. We saw 6 bald eagles 1st time I went. Life is everywhere there, just be prepared to look.

Enjoy. Wish I was going with you. I will go back to this tour every chance I get.

Doug

Karen,

Can you tell me what exactly you preferred on Kenai over MM? We are deciding between these 2 right now so the more info I can get the better.

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan,

I wish I could give you some major reasons why we prefer Kenai over MM but I can't. As I said, both companies offer a good experience. For us, we really enjoyed the captain, crew and vessel. The captain and crew were very engaging with the passengers and made it their business to ensure everyone was having a good time and our needs were met. Although this same feeling was gained on MM, we felt that Kenai was a tad better in this department --- again personal observation.

We preferred the layout of the vessel on Kenai over MM. And, we liked the fact that we didn't have assigned table seating like MM. Although we were outside most of the time, when we came back into the vessel from outside it was nice to know that we could return to a table that WE chose rather that one that had been assigned to us.

While we didn't have a meal option like MM that was OK with us as we were not that impressed with the prime rib when we had it-----this was just our experience, others might have felt differently.

However, with Kenai, there is a small complimentary meal provided (Chicken Caesar Wrap, baby carrots, granola bar and chocolate chip cookie) ---to be honest, we really enjoyed this. We also saw a bowl of apples that were available free of charge.

If you want savings, then I believe MM offers a 2 for 1 option with some of the coupon books --- check with MM for availability. Kenai does not offer any 2 for 1 coupon offer to my knowledge.

Wish I could be of more help. But, like I said, our selection is based purely on personal preference. We won't be in Seward this year but will be returning in 2014 and plan to book Kenai once again.

Whichever company you choose, I know you will enjoy your excursion in Seward.

I had a repeative breeching humpback as well. But, I enjoy it all, last year saw many mt goats and many twin kids. Last 5 trips over 2 years, have had 100% sightings of the resident orcas, which is a "new" location for them in the past several years. I've seen bears on shorelines, lazy sea lions hauled out, rafts of sea otters, puffins and more puffins, Arctic Terns, harbor seals. Dalls porpoises, criss crossing over and over in front, under and behind the boat. etc etc This boat tour is always a must do tour for me, including 2 more this year. I also, now always add a Prince William Sound boat tour every trip as well, which I didn't use to. I greatly enjoy those too. I also am out on boats out of Homer and Valdez- so much of Alaska is the sea- consider seeing it. :)

Any idea if we are likely to see both horned and tufted puffins?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The descriptions of all the wildlife sounds great!

To manage my expectations, for those who have taken it multiple times, what is the LEAST wildlife you have seen on these tours? When the weather is worse, do the sightings also get worse? Would the scenery still be worth it on this cruise?

I always see a LOT of wildlife. This area is loaded. :) Far more frequent than Denali Park.

I don't care about the weather, and do not get sick. A trip I took last year- with my nephews- I did Bonine them. :) had at least 25% of the boat were barfing. I see sick passengers every trip, so is a priority I try to encourage- to have that WELL taken care of.

The http://www.nps.gov for the Kenai Fjords park, has a section on the wildlife possible. Every trip is different and I greatly enjoy the variety. It's a tour that I go on multiple times every trip. My May/June trip this year has plans for 3, and I'm trying to arrange my nephews on a shorter trip with Denali, and will definitely include at least another Kenai Fjords, 2 if time allows. I only have 10 days, including travel. :(

Archived