Seward National Park Cruise

taphappy

I always see a LOT of wildlife. This area is loaded. :) Far more frequent than Denali Park.

I don't care about the weather, and do not get sick. A trip I took last year- with my nephews- I did Bonine them. :) had at least 25% of the boat were barfing. I see sick passengers every trip, so is a priority I try to encourage- to have that WELL taken care of.

Oh dear, I do get sea sick and won't have a happy day in open seas as described:(

Do any of the good boat trips stick to untroubled waters?

I always see a LOT of wildlife. This area is loaded. :) Far more frequent than Denali Park.

I don't care about the weather, and do not get sick. A trip I took last year- with my nephews- I did Bonine them. :) had at least 25% of the boat were barfing. I see sick passengers every trip, so is a priority I try to encourage- to have that WELL taken care of.

Oh dear, I do get sea sick and won't have a happy day in open seas as described:(

Do any of the good boat trips stick to untroubled waters?

Nope- this is a Route trip, and need to get to the prime areas- do not consider any trips with less than 6 hours on the water.

Consult your health care professional. There are frequently remedies for most people. I've gone on this tour probably 25 times- every one- I've seen sick people.

Please understand, you will see a LOT of wildlife on this tour. Why? Because the captains of all these ships, and I mean Kenai, MM, and independants, all stay in touch and let each other know where everything is. They will also be VERY careful not to actually disturb said wildlife. These guys, everyone of them I have met, are dedicated enviromental protectionists. They love the Park and it's inhabitants. If there is a 'can't miss' tour in Alaska, this one is it.

Take the longer tour, making certain it goes to Aialik Glacier, which calves more than any glacier I have personally seen. I think the 8.5hr tour was the one we were on. I liked the food, but that is not what you miss by taking the 6hr. It is more time with the wildlife. Look for the amazing sea otters too. Mountain goats abound, and bears are common. We saw 6 bald eagles 1st time I went. Life is everywhere there, just be prepared to look.

Enjoy. Wish I was going with you. I will go back to this tour every chance I get.

Doug

These are route trips, so they is only a partial timeframe for alterations, which are limited.

I've seen Northwestern Glacier running like popcorn one trip- which is the "Longer tour" . I don't agree bears are "common". You "may" see one.

I agree many of these cpts. have been sailing these tours for years, and certainly greatly enhance the trip. Major Marine does bring a Park Service Ranger on board.

For us, we really enjoyed the captain, crew and vessel. The captain and crew were very engaging with the passengers and made it their business to ensure everyone was having a good time and our needs were met. Although this same feeling was gained on MM, we felt that Kenai was a tad better in this department --- again personal observation.

We preferred the layout of the vessel on Kenai over MM. And, we liked the fact that we didn't have assigned table seating like MM. Although we were outside most of the time, when we came back into the vessel from outside it was nice to know that we could return to a table that WE chose rather that one that had been assigned to us.

Only a comment, but how many trips have you taken with each company? I've found the cpts, on both to certainly know Kenai Fjords inside and out, and take great pride in offering the best for the passengers. Same for the crews- hard working, well trained.

Both these companies also have more than one boat. Some are better than others, but Kenai Fjords boats do NOT have table seating for everyone, with a lot of "theater" middle seats and a fold down tray. If you aren't in the front of the line, boarding- it can be a challenge with seats and a full boat.

I sail both, and book based on coupon offers. I use all the coupons I have (except too short tour), so go out with both most every trip.

It looks like the overall recommendation- is- It's a top tour choice in Seward!

I've seen Northwestern Glacier running like popcorn one trip- which is the "Longer tour" . I don't agree bears are "common". You "may" see one.

Never thought to describe our Northwestern Glacier Tour as a popcorn trip, but that is a pretty good description of our experience. The captain even did some rerouting for our return trip. It was a wild ride indeed. Thanks to the warnings we received from you and others we did speak with our doctor and had precautions in place. Not sure, however, if I could get my husband on the 9 hour tour again. Maybe the six hour. It was an intense ride with all the rocking, rolling and smashing. I thought of it as an amusement park ride, but others were quite miserable. Being that I had been unexpectedly sea sick once in my life, I never wanted to repeat that experience again. I am glad I found a way to handle it. It would have been a long day otherwise.

We saw no bears on our trip. Nor was there any glacier calving the day we went. As you always say each trip is unique. I think it is best to not have any set expectations.

Only a comment, but how many trips have you taken with each company? I've found the cpts, on both to certainly know Kenai Fjords inside and out, and take great pride in offering the best for the passengers. Same for the crews- hard working, well trained.

Both these companies also have more than one boat. Some are better than others, but Kenai Fjords boats do NOT have table seating for everyone, with a lot of "theater" middle seats and a fold down tray. If you aren't in the front of the line, boarding- it can be a challenge with seats and a full boat.

I sail both, and book based on coupon offers. I use all the coupons I have (except too short tour), so go out with both most every trip.

It looks like the overall recommendation- is- It's a top tour choice in Seward!

With all due respect, I was asked for MY opinion which I have given. You know, I am really trying to restrain myself here but I just can't. It seems like many times when someone is asked for a personal opinion you have "beaten the poster up." I KNOW you have been to Alaska many times --- you have made that quite clear. And yes, you have given some great information. But for gosh sakes, let other people voice their opinions as well and not beat them over the head for their comments. This is a board where opinions are shared and readers can take them or leave them --- it's their choice.

I have not given out any false information only stated what I have experienced. We have been on 6 Kenai Fjords trips and have enjoyed them all as I have said. We have done 4 with Major Marine and 2 with Kenai Fjords.

On the Kenai Fjords boats we found no problem with table seating --- maybe it was just the time of year we went (May and June timeframe). On Major Marine, we had their meal twice and twice we did not. On the occasions that we did not have their meal, we were stuck off in a corner and when we tried to get out for viewing, it was not that easy. On Kenai Fjords, we picked out our own seats and we had immediate access to the door.

Again, my comments are merely from a personal standpoint. You have your preferences and I have mine.

I'm done posting on this board.

Nope- this is a Route trip, and need to get to the prime areas- do not consider any trips with less than 6 hours on the water.

Consult your health care professional. There are frequently remedies for most people. I've gone on this tour probably 25 times- every one- I've seen sick people.

We will certainly think twice about this trip.

Bucketing about for hours on a rough open sea would be a high price for glimpsing wildlife. The sight of sick fellow-passengers would be a downer too, even if we succeeded in drugging ourselves sufficiently :eek:

]

We will certainly think twice about this trip.

Bucketing about for hours on a rough open sea would be a high price for glimpsing wildlife. The sight of sick fellow-passengers would be a downer too, even if we succeeded in drugging ourselves sufficiently :eek:

if you have a clear calm day, take meds and you'll be fine. If it's overcast and the water around the harbor is choppy, don't go. I've gone out twice when the weather was bad; they shortened the trip to a 3hr Bay tour and gave us a partial refund. I'm very prone to motion sickness and even in the Bay I was turning green. In future I won't even bother unless the weather conditions and forecast are optimum. Actually on my next trip I'll try the day cruise out of Whittier ... I've read that the waters there are sheltered which makes for a calm boat ride.

Don't rule out the trip entirely. Yes it can be nasty if the weather is bad, but if the weather is good and you DO make it out to the glacier it's an awesome experience.

Never thought to describe our Northwestern Glacier Tour as a popcorn trip, but that is a pretty good description of our experience. The captain even did some rerouting for our return trip. It was a wild ride indeed. Thanks to the warnings we received from you and others we did speak with our doctor and had precautions in place. Not sure, however, if I could get my husband on the 9 hour tour again. Maybe the six hour. It was an intense ride with all the rocking, rolling and smashing. I thought of it as an amusement park ride, but others were quite miserable. Being that I had been unexpectedly sea sick once in my life, I never wanted to repeat that experience again. I am glad I found a way to handle it. It would have been a long day otherwise.

We saw no bears on our trip. Nor was there any glacier calving the day we went. As you always say each trip is unique. I think it is best to not have any set expectations.

"Popcorn" is not referring to the sea conditions. It was the glacier action. :) A description- which "could" be for the sea conditions too!!!!! But didn't even think of it. Thanks for the clarification.

Karen (Italy52) - I do hope you will reconsider and continue to post on the Alaska threads. I for one (and I'm sure there are many others) value your advice and opinions. And YES, you were asked for your opinion which you consisely responded to. Some folks just aren't open to others having opinions or suggestions that may be contrary to their own. Believe me, I've been on the receiving end more than once - and it was while I was simply responding to a question about MY personal experience. So please, I hope you will be back posting on the AK boards again. The "ignore" feature on the CC boards can be a wonderful thing;).

if you have a clear calm day, take meds and you'll be fine. If it's overcast and the water around the harbor is choppy, don't go. I've gone out twice when the weather was bad; they shortened the trip to a 3hr Bay tour and gave us a partial refund. I'm very prone to motion sickness and even in the Bay I was turning green. In future I won't even bother unless the weather conditions and forecast are optimum. Actually on my next trip I'll try the day cruise out of Whittier ... I've read that the waters there are sheltered which makes for a calm boat ride.

Don't rule out the trip entirely. Yes it can be nasty if the weather is bad, but if the weather is good and you DO make it out to the glacier it's an awesome experience.

Good advice, Mapleleaves.

However it seems these trips get booked months in advance, so can one just decide to go out to see the glacier on the day if the weather looks fine?

With all due respect, I was asked for MY opinion which I have given. You know, I am really trying to restrain myself here but I just can't. It seems like many times when someone is asked for a personal opinion you have "beaten the poster up." I KNOW you have been to Alaska many times --- you have made that quite clear. And yes, you have given some great information. But for gosh sakes, let other people voice their opinions as well and not beat them over the head for their comments. This is a board where opinions are shared and readers can take them or leave them --- it's their choice.

I have not given out any false information only stated what I have experienced. We have been on 6 Kenai Fjords trips and have enjoyed them all as I have said. We have done 4 with Major Marine and 2 with Kenai Fjords.

On the Kenai Fjords boats we found no problem with table seating --- maybe it was just the time of year we went (May and June timeframe). On Major Marine, we had their meal twice and twice we did not. On the occasions that we did not have their meal, we were stuck off in a corner and when we tried to get out for viewing, it was not that easy. On Kenai Fjords, we picked out our own seats and we had immediate access to the door.

Again, my comments are merely from a personal standpoint. You have your preferences and I have mine.

Please don't stop posting! I found this post quite informative. I am now concerned about our Major Marine tours, as we were going to wait to decide on the meals until the day of, rather than prepay months in advance. Ugh. Not a happy post to read, but quite informative!

Karen - I feel so bad now that I asked for your opinion! I did appreciate your quick response and I do value your opinion as well as everyone else's on this site. Everyone needs to remember that everything is subjective and we all need to respect one another. Please keep on posting...

However it seems these trips get booked months in advance, so can one just decide to go out to see the glacier on the day if the weather looks fine?

Walk up space is very limited on cruise ship days. Space is more available for the Northwestern fjords trip, due to people thinking, it's too early to book, I believe 9am. A walk up availability is likely with Kenai Fjords tours, 8am National Park tour. So if of interest- plan on getting off the ship when it clears. Of course all the coupon offers won't be available.

Walk up space is very limited on cruise ship days. Space is more available for the Northwestern fjords trip, due to people thinking, it's too early to book, I believe 9am. A walk up availability is likely with Kenai Fjords tours, 8am National Park tour. So if of interest- plan on getting off the ship when it clears. Of course all the coupon offers won't be available.

Thanks Budget Queen. Just to clarify, we will arrive at our Seward Hotel the evening of Sept 4 and have all day there on the 5th (sailing Millennium on the 6th). So we can be flexible. I don't know whether there is a ship docking Seward on the 5th. If not, we won't have so much competition.

Comments anyone?

Thanks Budget Queen. Just to clarify, we will arrive at our Seward Hotel the evening of Sept 4 and have all day there on the 5th (sailing Millennium on the 6th). So we can be flexible. I don't know whether there is a ship docking Seward on the 5th. If not, we won't have so much competition.

Comments anyone?

There is one ship there on the 5th -

SEW SILVER SHADOW 07:0 -18:0

Karen (Italy52) - I do hope you will reconsider and continue to post on the Alaska threads. I for one (and I'm sure there are many others) value your advice and opinions. And YES, you were asked for your opinion which you consisely responded to. Some folks just aren't open to others having opinions or suggestions that may be contrary to their own. Believe me, I've been on the receiving end more than once - and it was while I was simply responding to a question about MY personal experience. So please, I hope you will be back posting on the AK boards again. The "ignore" feature on the CC boards can be a wonderful thing;).

AIP, thanks for your post; I appreciate your empathy and comments. I guess one of my Libra traits got the best of me the other day. :D

Karen - I feel so bad now that I asked for your opinion! I did appreciate your quick response and I do value your opinion as well as everyone else's on this site. Everyone needs to remember that everything is subjective and we all need to respect one another. Please keep on posting...

Thanks for your comments. Please don't feel bad, you didn't do anything wrong. This wasn't the first time one of my posts has been challenged and it probably won't be the last. I have been on this board for many years and have seen a lot of people go through this same situation. Opinions will always vary, that is just human nature.

I do hope that your travel plans are progressing nicely and your visit to Alaska turns out to be a memory of a lifetime. Please come back to the Alaska board and let us know how your adventure turned out

Please don't stop posting! I found this post quite informative. I am now concerned about our Major Marine tours, as we were going to wait to decide on the meals until the day of, rather than prepay months in advance. Ugh. Not a happy post to read, but quite informative!

Thanks for your post, I appreciate it.

With regard to the above post, can you clarify what your concern is with Major Marine and the meal? Perhaps I can alleviate your concern.

I didn't have a reservation anytime I took a Kenai cruise ... I walked in as soon as the office opened in the morning and bought 2-3 tickets, no problem.

Ask your dr about taking bonine or dramamine. And take them as prescribed. I waited until boarding the boat which was too late so I still felt queasy. The supposedly non-drowsy one knocked me out, so you might want to try it at home first to see how your body responds.

It is a common 'tactic' for some people, when they disagree, to 'attack the messanger'. Ignore it with dignity.

My opinions come, BTW, from someone who has never had motion sickness. I perhaps was also a little blinded by the incredible scenery and wildlife, because I never noticed anyone else get sick either. Doesn't mean they didn't. So perhaps I should not recommend anything without reservation. But, being somewhat a naturalist, I regard this excursion as the very best on any trip I have taken. I do very much hope that anyone who hears my post and does this tour finds it just as I did! Enjoy.

Doug

Thanks for your post, I appreciate it.

With regard to the above post, can you clarify what your concern is with Major Marine and the meal? Perhaps I can alleviate your concern.

It sounds as if we will get third rate seating simply because we didn't purchase our meals at the time we ordered our tickets. If I'm going to end up ordering the meal later anyway, I'm thinking maybe I should call them up and add the meal now if that means better seating?

It sounds as if we will get third rate seating simply because we didn't purchase our meals at the time we ordered our tickets. If I'm going to end up ordering the meal later anyway, I'm thinking maybe I should call them up and add the meal now if that means better seating?

Given that you have some concerns, I would definitely call MM and ask how they assign seating arrangements/tables for those that choose the meal plan and those that don't. Our seating situation for a non-meal could have been a fluke --- it might have been fine for some but for US, it wasn't as ideal as when we had the meal option.

MM offers a very good experience. So, give them a call and I am sure your concerns will be alleviated.

Archived