What kind of talent for the talent show???

danimal

I can't sing, and I think that is what most people do for the talent show. I don't think I really have too many talents. What have you seen people do for the talent show, I want some ideas so I can make an A** out of myself!

Typically they only have time for about 6 acts. If more than that sign up, they conduct some sort of preliminary audition.

The acts have ranged from quite good to downright dreadful.

When we cruised on the Miracle in January, it was only singing in the competition. They advertised it as "Miracle Idol", and made it for singers only. One passenger did get up and attempt a couple of magic tricks between songs, but he wasn't part of the contest.

Guest enjoycruises

I remember mostly singers and once there was a teenage ballerina. I walked in on some of the auditions and let me say this, good thing they have auditions! It saves some of the people from embarrassment!:eek:

On my recent Conquest sailing, two of the acts consisted of people reading their original poetry. I don't much care for poetry, so I thought they were ehhhh. Another act was a teenaged girl who thought she could sing but was off key half the time. Still another was a white rapper who thought he was the next coming of Eminem. I hate to think that there were people who were deemed less talented to make the cut.

The best guest talent I've seen on a Carnival sailing was when I sailed on the Conquest. A gentleman got up and sang "You Don't send Me Flowers" as a duet in the voices of Neil Diamond and Edith Bunker! It was HYSTERICAL!!! He sounded just like both of them. They awarded him an extra prize (beyond the Ship on a Stick, Certificate and Champagne) because he brought the house down...standing ovation, request for an encore, etc. Good thing he was last in the lineup. I would have hated to follow him.

I've taken my guitar and mandolin on cruises and teamed up with the house band on talent show. One time my banjo picker went with me and we teamed up with the house band for a stirring rendition of "Rocky Top" that got the crowd tapping their feet.

When we cruised on the Miracle in January, it was only singing in the competition. They advertised it as "Miracle Idol", and made it for singers only. One passenger did get up and attempt a couple of magic tricks between songs, but he wasn't part of the contest.

On the Miracle they had both--Miracle Idol plus the talent night-- all singer then too.

Maybe you can help with some questions-

Does anyone know if Valor has a talent show?

Do they allow under 21 to enter?

If so, do they still get champagne?

What is the gift certificate for?

Reasons I'm asking - my 19 year old daughter was on a performance jumprope team and might want to enter - just checking to see if there is one, if she can enter and what the prizes are. :D

Thanks

Try sailing a Costa ship. On talent night the audience decides who gets applauded or "fed to the lions." It's a hoot..have sailed four times with them and there is always some terrific talent and then some who won't even make good lion food..but it is a fun night anyway! Carnival, of course, owns Costa and have improved Costa cruise ships a lot, but Carnival could take a few lessons from Costa also. Costa suite passengers get many perks not given on Carnival including a free night at the supper club. Love Carnival and Costa and believe, in time, the best of both worlds will prevail. That would be the cruise of cruises!

I have seen singers, folks that have played the flute, violin, piano and harmonica. I have been girls who were part of a dance group and they did their routine, a couple that did ballroom dancing and a girl who did ballet.

On the larger ships, they have expanded the number to 8 and I have seen it go as high as 9. If more than that show up, they just put everyone's name in the hat and draw. (Talented or not)

Fortunately, I have always been pulled from the hat. If there is someone who is very talented (say I have heard them sing during karaoke) and they do not get drawn from the hat....I always tell them to show up for rehearsal anyway...because every single time...someone has dropped out at rehearsal.

All of our cruise singers have always been very good. The worse act I saw was a couple of women trying to do the Electric Slide to the song I Shot the Sheriff. The Social Host that let that one slide through caught (*^& from the Cruise Director. I know their names...but won't spill the beans.

I always bring my own accompaniment tapes (or cds) but the orchestra does have a huge selection of songs and can play them in any key. They are always a wonderfully talented group of professionals.

PS: I think I remember that guitar/banjo Rocky Top duet. Great job!!!

Carnival has gone from just having everyone who wants to be in the talent show just show up in the lobby at a certain time....to putting out a sign up book at the shore excursion desk.

Just watch the Capers for information on the talent show.

lets all answer the worst and best they have seen ..... the best one for me was a man who did an act like Victor Broga......pianist/comedian....for those of us who know who that is. he was hilarious... my wife almost peed her pants and I had tears running down my face from laughing so hard. my worst one was a couple that did " clogging" ..... a dance thing. horrid in a word. BUT ...... bless everyone who has the guts to get in front of everyone and do it. I am not talented in the least. last year my wife did the HE HAW song..... dont know the exact title but is has ...... " you met another and phht you were gone ".....it took all of like a minute and afterward we heard a guy in the audience say " thats it ??? " everyone was laughing hardily...as she meant it to be funny.

Isn't it sad that a talent show on a ship is treated like it "matters"? Instead of just realizing its about having fun, people make it seem as if its a big deal.."horrid"......"worst"....."terrible"...."thank goodness they have audtions so no one embarsses themselves"............man, I remember when having fun was about HAVING FUN. :confused:

BUT ...... bless everyone who has the guts to get in front of everyone and do it.

I'm with ken56. Thank goodness there are those people who are not too embarassed to get up on the stage & put themselves out there. Even if we think their act needs work, they've certainly provided entertainment for the rest of us. And I have a sneaking suspiscion that some of us wallflowers have provided "entertainment" as well...Flashbacks of dancing on a bar at Senor Frogs....Sooner or later, we all get our turn to be the punch line!;)

Cheers!

lets all answer the best they have seen ..... the best one for me.

I still remember the guys name.

It was TRAVIS BUTLER. This was 15 years ago. He got up and sang AMERICAN TRILOGY, and brought the house down.

I really admire all those that do the talent show.....it has been some of the best entertainment on the ship, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who has participated in it. the best and worst thing is just for some humor..."horrid" or otherwise I couldnt do any better than horrid myself...... but I dont participate in the talent show as I have NO talent to inflict on my fellow passengers. this truely is "just having fun" and I ALWAYS applaud vigoruosly not matter how good or bad these wonderful people have done.

the victor borga guy was I believe, on the Norwegian Deam and it WAS about 15 yrs ago.

Archived