Carnival Fantasy Picture Review * 3/17/12 -3/23/12

wrigley80

Day 2

We were in a porthole cabin (R31) on the Riviera Deck. This was our first time in a porthole cabin. We woke up to an unpleasant surprise. One of our porthole windows was broken........ok change that it was shattered. There was glass on the window sill and in my bed. We called guest services and they sent two guys to check it out. They losed the porthole cover. They said to just go on with our day.......that didn't last too long. My dad and I were called to the guest services desk. We got pulled into the security office where we interogated by the Head Security officer and his assistant for well over an hour. We were forced to explain our story 3 times and then write a written account of what happened.

P1010829.jpg

this is the "before" photo of our porthole windows

P1010848.jpg

And this is the unfortunate "after" photo of our porthole window.

The security officers for Carnival accused us of breaking this window. Plus they lied to us and told us that it was "double-paned" window. IT WAS NOT because during our port stop in Key West they replaced the window and re-caulked it. This wasn't a good way to start out our cruise but we weren't going to pay for a window that we didn't break.

Wow! If glass was on the window sill and on your bed, that sounds like something outside had pushed the glass inward.

Yikes, I've never thought of a window in a cabin being broken and being blamed for it!

Can I just say I loved your review! I'll be setting sail on Fantasy in 137 days!!!! It'll be my second cruise on this ship and reading this review along with the pics made me that much more anxious!:D

Thanks I had fun doing the review. It was a nice way to replay my vacation :). I hope you have fun on the Fantasy

Wow! If glass was on the window sill and on your bed, that sounds like something outside had pushed the glass inward.

Yikes, I've never thought of a window in a cabin being broken and being blamed for it!

Yeah you would think that if there was glass on the window sill and in my bed that it would have been broken from the outside. But apparently Carnival security isn't that bright. :rolleyes: The worst part about it is that we were blamed for it from the very beginning :(

Where was the drink shak ? Im going this weekend, is it near the port?

The daiquiri shack is outside of the port area. It is across the street from the Sheraton Resort. You would definitely have to take a taxi or jump on the #10 jitney bus. The bus will drop you off right in front of the daiquiri shack. I hope this helps

Thanks for this review so far. About the window: how was it finally resolved? Did they take your word for it in the end? It's kinda scary that anything that happens to the room they want to hold you responsible for.

Years ago, I had the rear windshield on my car shatter by itself. And if you google 'shattered shower doors', a lot of people have had that happen. It has something to do with the tempered glass. So if nothing hit your porthole from the outside, that might have been what happened. Seems really dumb of Carnival to accuse you - especially if the glass had fallen inward. Right, like you were climbing around the outside of the ship and took at swing at your porthole? :rolleyes:

Awesome review and pics! We are thinking of the Fantasy to go to Key West. It doesn't seem like a bad ship, just wish they had regular balcony staterooms.

This was our 8th Carnival Ship and by far the cleanest we have seen. They were constantly cleaning. We went during spring break and you would think that there would be a lot of plates and beer bottles laying everywhere but there wasn't :)

Thanks for this review so far. About the window: how was it finally resolved? Did they take your word for it in the end? It's kinda scary that anything that happens to the room they want to hold you responsible for.

We wrote a letter to the captain before we disembarked per request from a Human Resources rep.

They did take our word for it after my dad and I had to get extremely angry :mad: with security. There was no reason that it had to be like that. We were accused from the minute that we called Guest Services :(. It won't affect us from cruising with Carnival again cause we have a back-to-back booked for December

Years ago, I had the rear windshield on my car shatter by itself. And if you google 'shattered shower doors', a lot of people have had that happen. It has something to do with the tempered glass. So if nothing hit your porthole from the outside, that might have been what happened. Seems really dumb of Carnival to accuse you - especially if the glass had fallen inward. Right, like you were climbing around the outside of the ship and took at swing at your porthole? :rolleyes:

Yep it was definitely broken from the outside because there was glass on the window sill and in my bed. My bed was directly underneath the window.

I was swinging from the outside of the ship to get a different perspective of cruising :eek:

Edited by wrigley80

wrigley80 I just noticed your upcoming cruise is on the Sensation December 9th, ^_^ Eee I am so excited I seen someone with the same cruise dates lol. Thought I would share cause it made my day :)

Even though my counter says the 8th I am on the 9th I just set it back a day cause we are leaving on the 8th which is when my vacation starts. ^_^

wrigley80 I just noticed your upcoming cruise is on the Sensation December 9th, ^_^ Eee I am so excited I seen someone with the same cruise dates lol. Thought I would share cause it made my day :)

Even though my counter says the 8th I am on the 9th I just set it back a day cause we are leaving on the 8th which is when my vacation starts. ^_^

whoa :eek: for a minute there I thought my cruise was starting a day early :). As you may have noticed from my countdown clocks we are doing back-to-back cruises on the Ecstasy and Sensation.

Is there a roll call started for our cruise yet???

Sorry, :o lol though I wish it was sooner only if by a day. I am so jealous of anyone doing a back to back! Where's the Ectasy going and do you have a day inbetween or are you just getting off one boat to get on another? Either way it seems like such fun. And as for the rollcall I haven't seen one but I have been checking for someone to make one for that cruise. lol, I stalk peoples counters to see if they are on the sensation :D

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome review and pics! We are thinking of the Fantasy to go to Key West. It doesn't seem like a bad ship, just wish they had regular balcony staterooms.

Yeah we usually have a balcony as well but we just figured that we wouldn't spend as much time in the room. It worked out quite well

Sorry, :o lol though I wish it was sooner only if by a day. I am so jealous of anyone doing a back to back! Where's the Ectasy going and do you have a day inbetween or are you just getting off one boat to get on another? Either way it seems like such fun. And as for the rollcall I haven't seen one but I have been checking for someone to make one for that cruise. lol, I stalk peoples counters to see if they are on the sensation :D

We will have a day in between the Sensation and the Ecstasy so I will find a hotel in the area that will pick us up at the cruise port and then return us to the port the next morning :)

Great review - brings back great memories of our Fantasy cruise last summer. Too bad about the window hassel, but you prevailed and obviously still had a great cruise. Kudos to you for your spirit! That's how everyone should be when there's a kink in their hose.

We weren't going to let a broken window ruin our cruise. It may have put a damper on the first day but it all worked out.

Thanks for kind words about my review

Yep it was definitely broken from the outside because there was glass on the window sill and in my bed. My bed was directly underneath the window.

I was swinging from the outside of the ship to get a different perspective of cruising :eek:

Sorry to hear Carnival blamed you for the problem with your window.

Great review and pictures.

Awesome review! I read all the ones with the pics included first.

I LOVE Key West as a stop but usually it also comes with the Bahamas which are not really my fave. Kino sandal factory is THE BEST!!! I have been thinking about sandals I had gotten made for me there long ago when we stopped there on a prior cruise. Sadly they have worn out.

Sorry about your window issue. We took a lengthy break from CCL due to a similar issue that went unresolved even with repeated calls, letters, emails. I had 14 cruises with CCL in and thought I would have at least gotten some sort of response but I digress.

We are doing a family cruise with all 6 (yep I said SIX) kids in Dec 2013 on the Sunshine out of NOLA so I am willing to kiss and make up with CCL because the Sunshine looks totally AMAZING and I am looking forward to see if I can recognize any of the old Destiny in her.

I also want to comment that you look like one of those people who has amazing energy and even when things don't go as planned (hooker, rude cabbie, window breaking, etc) it becomes a funny vaca story later on. Keep having fun and post a review of your upcoming B2B!