OVERwhelmed in Juneau!

blonde375

We are renting from National this July for our cruise on the Golden Princess. Can you give me directions from our ship to their location at AJ Dock? The woman on the phone at the National office in Juneau told me to call them when we dock and someone will pick us up for $5, but just in case this doesn't work out I'ld like to have an idea of where we need to go. There are so many ships in port that day I am anticipating crowds and some confusion. Thank you for all your helpful advice.

If you want to walk to it- have the water on your right, go past Twisted Fish/Taku Smokery. Turn right to the AJ dock and look for National.

I searched online, and you're right, 1.50 each way. Here's the schedule. Hadn't even thought of that when we went last summer. Frankly, when you get off the ship what you see is the tour buses. We'll check this out when we go in June...

Yes the city bus has been running for years. Problem is, people may want to make the best use of their short time. This bus, takes twice as long as a direct Mendenhall shuttle bus. Then add, that the bus stop is a mile++ from the Mendenhall visitor center.

Yes the city bus has been running for years. Problem is, people may want to make the best use of their short time. This bus, takes twice as long as a direct Mendenhall shuttle bus. Then add, that the bus stop is a mile++ from the Mendenhall visitor center.

Even though we're going to be in Juneau on July 15th I still haven't researched all the transportation and sightseeing options there. Is the Mendenhall Shuttle Bus a "walk up" type of situation, or is this something that needs to be reserved ahead of time, or even from the ship? Is it very busy at the begining of the day when folks are disembarking, or does time of day not really matter when it comes to crowds? Is there a schedule/map? Can you provide a name to help with googling? Thanks much from a soon to be first time visitor.

OP - on my Alaska cruise I didn't do a single "excursion" and had a blast.

In Juneau we took the "blue bus" to Mendenhall (tickets available in one of the booths on the dock), sprung for the $3 admission to the National Park Visitor Center, and walked some of the trails, including to Nugget Falls. It was wonderful! And a lot less than the cruiseline was charging for their excursions that went to Mendenhall.

If you are going to do this my suggestion would be to go in the morning. We got up, had a leisurely breakfast, and let everyone else rush off the ship. Then we went ashore and had no crowds to deal with.

After we were done at Mendenhall and were walking back to the parking lot to get on the bus, we were like salmon trying to swim upstream against hoards of people who were just arriving. It was so mobbed! I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much if I had arrived with those hoards. It was probably around 2 in the afternoon when we left. So my suggestion is to plan to be finished at Mendenall around that time.

You are right the prices are higher than in the Caribbean. You are in the United States and are paying "1st world" prices. Plus the tourist season in Alaska is short, so the operators need to charge a decent amount while they can.

Even though we're going to be in Juneau on July 15th I still haven't researched all the transportation and sightseeing options there. Is the Mendenhall Shuttle Bus a "walk up" type of situation, or is this something that needs to be reserved ahead of time, or even from the ship? Is it very busy at the begining of the day when folks are disembarking, or does time of day not really matter when it comes to crowds? Is there a schedule/map? Can you provide a name to help with googling? Thanks much from a soon to be first time visitor.

There is more than one option available. I had remembered people on these boards saying "Take the blue bus" so I looked for that one. It is http://www.mightygreattrips.com/tours/ .

Yes, it was a walk-up, I purchased the ticket on the spot. The next bus was less than 10 minutes from when we purchased the tickets. I think they were running every half hour or something. We got picked up at our dock, then went to where the Princess ship was docked, picked up another couple, and we were on our way.

As I said earlier, we let the crowds go before us, so once we got off there were no lines at the booths, and maybe 8-10 people total on the bus. But it was still morning - maybe 10 or so?

OP - on my Alaska cruise I didn't do a single "excursion" and had a blast.

In Juneau we took the "blue bus" to Mendenhall (tickets available in one of the booths on the dock), sprung for the $3 admission to the National Park Visitor Center, and walked some of the trails, including to Nugget Falls. It was wonderful! And a lot less than the cruiseline was charging for their excursions that went to Mendenhall.

If you are going to do this my suggestion would be to go in the morning. We got up, had a leisurely breakfast, and let everyone else rush off the ship. Then we went ashore and had no crowds to deal with.

After we were done at Mendenhall and were walking back to the parking lot to get on the bus, we were like salmon trying to swim upstream against hoards of people who were just arriving. It was so mobbed! I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much if I had arrived with those hoards. It was probably around 2 in the afternoon when we left. So my suggestion is to plan to be finished at Mendenall around that time.

You are right the prices are higher than in the Caribbean. You are in the United States and are paying "1st world" prices. Plus the tourist season in Alaska is short, so the operators need to charge a decent amount while they can.

Thanks, cavecreekguy, for the advice! Sounds like a great plan!!

There is more than one option available. I had remembered people on these boards saying "Take the blue bus" so I looked for that one. It is http://www.mightygreattrips.com/tours/ .

Yes, it was a walk-up, I purchased the ticket on the spot. The next bus was less than 10 minutes from when we purchased the tickets. I think they were running every half hour or something. We got picked up at our dock, then went to where the Princess ship was docked, picked up another couple, and we were on our way.

As I said earlier, we let the crowds go before us, so once we got off there were no lines at the booths, and maybe 8-10 people total on the bus. But it was still morning - maybe 10 or so?

Thanks cavecreekguy. From this post and another, it sounds like you spent maybe 3+ hours at Mendenhall? Perhaps all the folks arriving around 2 had done some other activity on the morning, then had lunch, and then Mendenhall was their afternoon activity. I'm trying to decide if I want to do some zip lining that day too, perhaps late afternoon after glacier and lunch.

I am looking for quilt stores. Can I walk to or take the public transit bus to any quilt shops in Juneau or around there>? Thanks

here is a website with the wuilt shops in Alaska listed with addresses....http://www.quiltvisionusa.com/AwesomeAlaskaQuiltShops.html

there are 2 on S Franklin which is an easy walk from the ships....

We will be 5 people traveling to the Mendenhall glacier. Are there taxis that can accommodate us if we chose to come back by taxi? Or will we need 2 taxis. Otherwise we will make sure we make the last shuttle.

In the a.m. I will be on the Tracy Arm excursion. (Off the ship - not round trip from Juneau)

My husband & son are not doing the TA excursion, so they will "shop" while waiting for me to return to the ship - if they even leave the ship without me.

If the weather is nice, we will do the Mt. Robert Tramway.

We will also go to Mendenhall probably via taxi (catching a telephone number for the return trip so that we are not bound by the shuttle bus schedule) where I would like to do the Nugget falls hike.

We will be 5 people traveling to the Mendenhall glacier. Are there taxis that can accommodate us if we chose to come back by taxi? Or will we need 2 taxis. Otherwise we will make sure we make the last shuttle.

Most of the cab services in Juneau do have mini vans as well as cars... just let the dispatcher know you have 5 people... they will send a van... my personal choice of cab company in Juneau is Capital Cabs.. after spending 35 years up there they at least to me seemed to have the cleanest cars and were the most prompt when you called.....again this is MY OPINION after living in Juneau for MANY years.... I am sure someone else will have another opinion...

You are correct but they are also 50$+ more to rent for a day than rent a wreck!!! I have used Rent A Wreck many many times in Juneau and they have very nice cars... and we can hit my favorite Pub for the best fish and chips on earth!!!

there are 48 miles of Road in Juneau from downtown to out the road...the road ends at Echo Cove...

And now, of course, comes the question..............where's the BEST fish and chips place? I've never eaten in J as there's just too much to enjoy but I'll have my son along and he lives in AZ so it'd be wonderful to enjoy some excellect fish.

Location or initials or something...............please.

We've always heard whales when walking at the Shrine........and have then seen them!

Yes, it was a walk-up, I purchased the ticket on the spot.

We were in the same situation last summer - I had heard about the "blue bus", but as it turns out there are a few companies that bus to the glacier and back. Their stands are all in the same area, and you can't really tell from the stands which bus they belong to (we couldn't anyway). We just walked up to the first stand. As it turned out, it was a white bus. Same trip, same price though.

And now, of course, comes the question..............where's the BEST fish and chips place? I've never eaten in J as there's just too much to enjoy but I'll have my son along and he lives in AZ so it'd be wonderful to enjoy some excellect fish.

Location or initials or something...............please.

We've always heard whales when walking at the Shrine........and have then seen them!

Kaye... if you email me at one_sweetie at hotmail.com I will tell you!! but I won't publish it on a public forum and have a great local hangout ruined LOL....

Kaye... if you email me at one_sweetie at hotmail.com I will tell you!! but I won't publish it on a public forum and have a great local hangout ruined LOL....

Hey no secrets here on a public forum:DIm JK

Now watch you get a couple hundred emails:eek:

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks cavecreekguy. From this post and another, it sounds like you spent maybe 3+ hours at Mendenhall? Perhaps all the folks arriving around 2 had done some other activity on the morning, then had lunch, and then Mendenhall was their afternoon activity. I'm trying to decide if I want to do some zip lining that day too, perhaps late afternoon after glacier and lunch.

Yeah, 3 hours sounds about right. We weren't in any rush so we poked around the visitors center, went down by the water, took some photos, walked out to Nugget Falls and back at a leisurely pace, and got onto the bus.

I also agree that the cruise buses had likely either done something else in the morning, or could have been from ships that didn't dock until the afternoon. Either way, in my experience, the morning was the time to be there.

Many people have recommended whale watching out of Juneau. A better bet, in my opinion, is to do a whale watch with a small boat operator out of Icy Strait Point, where they all take you to an area near the entrance to Glacier Bay where there are tons of Humpbacks. The sights and sounds are amazing. Having been to Juneau a couple of times, our very favorite was a floatplane trip over the Juneau ice field. You can do just the ice field viewing, or for $$$$ they will fly you up to a small camp, land on a glacial lake and you will have a couple of hours for a wonderful grilled salmon or chicken lunch plus time for a little exploring around before being picked up and flown back to Juneau. As far as hanging around town before or after anything you've planned, the tram up to Mt. Roberts (right next door to the pier the RCCL usually uses) is a good pick. There is a visitors center up there, amazing views and if time permits, some hiking trails. A short stop at Tracy's Crab Shack isn't a bad idea, IMHO. It's also a little pricey (like most things in Alaska, buy hey, it's a short season) but very good.

So many options in Jueau, it is a tough choice. We did the Glacier Trek with North Stat-helicopter to a glacier and a 2 hour hike. It was the coolest thing I have ever done and I would highly recommend it. We booked directly with them. Worth every penny.

Archived