Scenic Tours cruise vs AMA or Tauck?

cruisemuse

Tauck and Ama are not consistent. They can be good or bad. I've experienced both. Scenic is always good.

Can you please point me to the reviews that show Tauck is bad because I can certainly show you those about Scenic. I have never read a "bad" review about Tauck and before our holiday last September we looked extensively for their reviews. Scenic have started a very big marketing campaign here in Australia for their 2013 cruise itineraries highlighting their new "all-inclusive" items. Only time will tell how well they received by future customers.

Scenic have started a very big marketing campaign here in Australia for their 2013 cruise itineraries highlighting their new "all-inclusive" items. Only time will tell how well they received by future customers.

They are fairly inclusive now so what are the NEW all inclusive items?

Lyn -

We love our backpacks... And will be using them as our carry on when we fly to Russia for our Uniworld cruise --> even though they say "Scenic" right on them!!!

Great shape, not too big - but hold quite a bit.

We were also impressed with the booklet. Although we only did the Rhine/Rhine Delta (Tulip Time), we were given the book that covers the itinerary from Amsterdam on down. Great info. We actually lent it to friends who were doing the Danube with Avalon - and they found it great as well.

Uniworld does give a great zippered holder for your documents and cruise companion booklet. And I love the fact that the dock is on these documents --> as I entered the address into Google Earth to see the area we will be docked in. I am aware that the dock can change... but it is still good to look at the pictures.

Fran

Lyn -

We love our backpacks... And will be using them as our carry on when we fly to Russia for our Uniworld cruise --> even though they say "Scenic" right on them!!!

Great shape, not too big - but hold quite a bit.

We were also impressed with the booklet. Although we only did the Rhine/Rhine Delta (Tulip Time), we were given the book that covers the itinerary from Amsterdam on down. Great info. We actually lent it to friends who were doing the Danube with Avalon - and they found it great as well.

Uniworld does give a great zippered holder for your documents and cruise companion booklet. And I love the fact that the dock is on these documents --> as I entered the address into Google Earth to see the area we will be docked in. I am aware that the dock can change... but it is still good to look at the pictures.

Fran

Fran

I am excited about the laundry bag .. I can use it on other cruises even if it has Scenic on it

I like the document holder as well ...a bit bigger than the one I use so it will hold all my papers ;)

DH is going away this weekend & will try out the backpack to see if we will take it our not ...we have a small backpack we usually take which folds up & we use it for the return trip as a carry-on & on shore

The book is informative ..a bit heavy for those trying to travel light ..still wading my way through it

The photos of the places to visit are very good & looking forward to seeing them in person

3.5 weeks to go :D

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Lyn, For 2013 they have added quite a bit to their list including complimentary drinks all day and night and a butler service to all on board, a new privacy balcony and they've also added a new all day/night River Cafe for snacking plus a new Chef's Restaurant. That's on top all what all Scenic customers already receive. They have been bombarding me with email's, brochures and they've got a trade show touring all of Australia. They appear to be going flat out to try and get the up-market client down here.

Rod

Lyn, For 2013 they have added quite a bit to their list including complimentary drinks all day and night and a butler service to all on board, a new privacy balcony and they've also added a new all day/night River Cafe for snacking plus a new Chef's Restaurant. That's on top all what all Scenic customers already receive. They have been bombarding me with email's, brochures and they've got a trade show touring all of Australia. They appear to be going flat out to try and get the up-market client down here.

Rod

Thanks I did check the website here & they are doing several road shows in the area

We will be on the ship in 3.5 weeks so will probably hear all about the changes ;)

I guess they are enclosing the balconies like on the Crystal which will be goo for the cold/wet cruises

Lyn

Rod

They are doing more than that even. On top of the stuff mentioned:

PRIVATE transfers...no more waiting for a bus to show up.

Ebikes (electric bikes) to tour around on.

GPS Navigators for those that want to give themselves a tour and easily find there way around.

The Quietvox system can be worn onboard and it's triggered to explain (by GPS) what you are seeing as you pass by. (Rhine/Danube)

Free internet.

Multiple dining venues (including Portobello's 7-course dining experience with no extra charges)

What Scenic Tours is adding to the experience is second to NONE. They are adding true VALUE to the cruise and not 'nickel and diming' you like other cruise lines. Why shouldn't cruise lines add things most everyone needs anyway? Kudos to them for stepping up the game.

Also...when it comes to reviews, take them with a grain of salt. Everyone will have a completely different experience because no two people are the same. Pay attention to the FACTS they give and less attention to the subjective stuff...like "the service was terrible, or the food was not good." Of course each cruise will be different...there are different staff and crew onboard. People are individuals and it can offer up a completely different 'vibe.'

As I said in an earlier post Scenic has taken up a very extensive marketing campaign in Australia including a Road Show Australia wide, sponsorship of our premier travel programme "Getaway" and a very serious mailing programme both email and slow mail. This unfortunately for them has drawn some extreme scrutiny of their upgraded all-inclusive luxury items for the 2013 cruise season. Maybe it's because we Aussies fall, in the majority, into the "I find that hard to believe category" they have been extensively quizzed on the all-inclusive items during their road show presentations. This has caused them to alter some of their previous statements and include a number of "* and ^" in their latest Scenic Club News 2012 Winter edition brochure that just arrived in the mail.

Whilst it is true that the offerings as previously stated above still exist there are now quite a few conditions attached.

The complimentary drinks is included as stated all day BUT there are conditions. It does not include top shelf spirits, French Champagne or many selected wines AND it is not available on Russian Cruises (in fact none of their new upgrades are available on their Russian Cruises).

Their advertised new Restaurant Table La Rive is now only for Danube deck clients and is not available on the French cruises nor is the River Cafe which advertises all day grazing.

Their new Sun Lounge technology for their balconies is not available on their French cruises as the Scenic Emerald in France will not be upgraded to Scenic Crystal standard.

I can understand why they have excluded Russia ( they have no spaceships over there) but I'm disappointed that most of the new features are not available for those of us who were contemplating a cruise through southern France.

Top shelf drinks was never in the plan as far as I know, but who knows.

Ships will be upgraded if the markets they are in work out well in the future. Just think of them money Scenic is forking out for all this remodeling and the new amenities. I hope there aren't massive price hikes!

Top shelf drinks was never in the plan as far as I know, but who knows.

Ships will be upgraded if the markets they are in work out well in the future. Just think of them money Scenic is forking out for all this remodeling and the new amenities. I hope there aren't massive price hikes!

I'm sure everyone understands your support of Scenic but I contend that if "top shelf spirits" were never in the mix then that should have been clearly stated in the beginning along with all I stated above not after they were quizzed at presentations. I realise Cavet Emptor prevails no matter what company you choose but you have to understand that Scenic are still fighting off the very extensive criticism they encountered from their own countrymen when they started their European programme with less than stellar results a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Scenic has definitely made their 2013 cruises all inclusive and added some nice pre and post. They are moving the Emerald to the south of France. While the prices are quite steep, the all inclusive nature and the quality tours/enrichments, make it very comparable. Their 2013/14 brochures came out this past week but the Canadian website is not up to date although the Australian one seems to be. I am very interested in their Paris to Barcelona on the Saone and Rhone. Hope to make a decision soon.

Wow, that is really all inclusive! Even though our bar tab is reasonable on a 7 night river cruise, having those inclusions would be very nice!

Caviargal, just wondering what the price is for a beer or cocktail on Scenic?

:rolleyes:

I was wondering about bringing wine onboard, I thought I read somewhere that the river cruises don't mind if you do that.....true or not?

What about beer?

I like trying the local drinks and if they are good well, I just might want a couple for later on the ship

You can bring onboard whatever you want to drink, wine, beer whatever. It is not like the big cruise ships. Yes, they do have a bar on board and they would like to see drinks, but they do not prohibit the passengers bringing their own drinks onto the ship. At least in my experience.

We just spoke to someone at Scenic regarding a May 2013 (Jewels of Europe). We asked about the "all-inclusive" and she said, "No". Only butlers on certain decks, charge for internet, complimentary wine and beer at lunch and dinner only, etc.

Is there someplace in the 2013 Brochure that states this? If so, what page? We don't have a brochure or I would look myself.

Thanks.

Karen

We just spoke to someone at Scenic regarding a May 2013 (Jewels of Europe). We asked about the "all-inclusive" and she said, "No". Only butlers on certain decks, charge for internet, complimentary wine and beer at lunch and dinner only, etc.

Is there someplace in the 2013 Brochure that states this? If so, what page? We don't have a brochure or I would look myself.

Thanks.

Karen

I did find it on their website. We called back and spoke to a different girl who confirmed the all-inclusiveness for 2013. I guess the first girl wasn't aware of the changes!

Karen

Thanks.

Karen

Page 4 of the 2013/2014 brochure. Butlers for all cabins but not the same duties, i.e. in a suite you get your bags unpacked, in acquarium class they will bring you drinks and answer questions. All day beverages included. I was just at one of their local presentations yesterday and that is how the 2013 trips are marketed. I know the program is new in 2013 but the folks at Scenic's Canadian office that I have spoken with have all been trained on the new offerings.

I was wondering about bringing wine onboard, I thought I read somewhere that the river cruises don't mind if you do that.....true or not?

What about beer?

I like trying the local drinks and if they are good well, I just might want a couple for later on the ship

We just finished Provence and Barcelona with AMA. It was great. AMA provided free wine with Dinner. They have a designated waitress that goes around and fills up your wine glass, usually before you have consumed what is in your glass.

AMA. It was great. AMA provided free wine with Dinner. They have a designated waitress that goes around and fills up your wine glass, usually before you have consumed what is in your glass.

Most of the river cruise lines provide wine, beer with dinner some also provide the same with lunch as well

Most of the river cruise lines provide wine, beer with dinner some also provide the same with lunch as well

Vantage provided us with one glass of wine with Dinner on our Russian River cruise.

I know some of the river cruise lines do the same. All that I can say is that AMA makes darn sure that you wine glass is never empty. They would even fill up our glass when we were getting ready to leave the dinner table.

Vantage provided us with one glass of wine with Dinner on our Russian River cruise.

I know some of the river cruise lines do the same. All that I can say is that AMA makes darn sure that you wine glass is never empty. They would even fill up our glass when we were getting ready to leave the dinner table.

I found that with AMA last year. I am trying Scenic this year who provide wine, beer, soda for dinner and lunch and in 2013 it will be all day, so no unexpected bar bill at the end of the cruise.

Was your AMA cruise in Russia also?

I saw on Scenic's description for the Russian cruises they give 2 glasses ..must be a something to do with Russian authorities :D

Edited by LHT28

I found that with AMA last year. I am trying Scenic this year who provide wine, beer, soda for dinner and lunch and in 2013 it will be all day, so no unexpected bar bill at the end of the cruise.

Not if you're going to Russia. None of Scenic's new all-inclusive features apply to their Russian Cruises and a number of them don't apply to their French cruises either AND there are a number of exclusions on their European cruises. After many questions as someone said to their representative at a presentation here - "There's a lot of smoke and mirrors with Scenics 2013 cruises."

Was your AMA cruise in Russia also?

I saw on Scenic's description for the Russian cruises they give 2 glasses ..must be a something to do with Russian authorities :D

No our Russian River cruise was with Vantage, which was a great trip.

Not if you're going to Russia. None of Scenic's new all-inclusive features apply to their Russian Cruises and a number of them don't apply to their French cruises either AND there are a number of exclusions on their European cruises. After many questions as someone said to their representative at a presentation here - "There's a lot of smoke and mirrors with Scenics 2013 cruises."

Quite right. The new changes to the ships are not applicable to Russia or France and I guess that the government of Russia controls what can be served on any ship so not totally in the control of any cruise line. The all inclusiveness is applicable to France. What is it you feel is 'smoke & mirrors'?