Live from the Viking Idun

mikemartha

Will be on Idum in August so finding these posts a huge help. Please do not think we are snobs, but after 70 cruises (this will be first river cruise)and answering same questions at dinner, we now prefer dining alone. Is that possible on Idum??

Will be on Idum in August so finding these posts a huge help. Please do not think we are snobs, but after 70 cruises (this will be first river cruise)and answering same questions at dinner, we now prefer dining alone. Is that possible on Idum??

Quick answer is no. Tables are set up 6 and 8. They are not real flexible with anything to do with dining. For example they are serving fruit and ice cream for dessert and you want only the berries, in our case it didn't happen. We are a party of six so we filled a table, but we have met some great people. Most of them first time river cruisers. Enjoy

We are home now, but I will finish up the stops. Wednesday morning we had a bus walking tour of Vienna. Had free time and attended the optional Mozart and Strauss concert at night. Those going to the concert ate an earlier dinner. Concert was worth the money. Yes the seats were tight, but I enjoyed myself.

Thursday was a stop in Bratislava. Had a self walking tour. We made a wine stop and a beer stop. Captain's cocktail and dinner night. A few ties but not many. At 10:30 p.m. We could see the lights of Budapest. Friday a bus tour tour of Buda and Pest. Free time.

Saturday everyone out of Cabins by 9:00 a.m. But you could stay on the boat until departure to the airport or wherever.

Gratuities could be handled by euro, dollars or credit card. I found it hard to give extra to anyone, because I didn't think it was fair to do it openly and leave people out. I gave $450 US dollars. They spilt that up and every one including the captain gets an equal share. I did leave extra for the cabin Stewart.

Over all the staff was attentive and worked as a team. Viking was a good value for our money. The program director and her staff kept us moving in a orderly fashion on our tours.

The Viking Daily was informative and we were giving more information about locks and the various cities that we visited. One thing, our ship was hit by some type of virus. Many of the people were sick during the cruise. It would be good to take strong antibodies with you. The stronger the better. It was kind of like a sinus problem with a strong cough. Some people had to visit the doctor. Drug stores closed at noonon Saturday and closed on Sunday.

I will be on line for a few days to answer any last minute questions. Thanks for reading

Z Pak per your suggestion. We are looking forward to everything. I might ask, in Vienna we are having a private tour as I want to see the Lipinzanner horses. What time was dinner as I was thinking of going to the concert with the cruisers? Perhaps I should rethink that. Thank you in advance for your help.

Z Pak per your suggestion. We are looking forward to everything. I might ask, in Vienna we are having a private tour as I want to see the Lipinzanner horses. What time was dinner as I was thinking of going to the concert with the cruisers? Perhaps I should rethink that. Thank you in advance for your help.

Dinner was 6:00 p.m. For the concert goers. Left for the concert at 7:30. Z PAC will do the trick.

Hi Mike and Martha,

Leaving for Budapest Friday, to take the same trip opposite direction as you are on currently. Curious about rooms, we are in 325 veranda , wonder if a bit more room than French balcony? Not sure if you would know, but thought we would ask, since you are the resident experts!:)

We will be doing Budapest to Amsterdam next year and would so love to hear about your travels when you have time. Also, since this is our first river cruise, how the service and food is on Viking.

Thanks! And we hope you have safe travels!

Thanks for your review and helpful hints. We will be on the Prestige in August....Budapest to Amsterdam. This will be our first river cruise after many cruises on large ships. If you think of any other hints, please post them.

Thanks again,

NJ GAL

MikeMartha

Thanks so much for posting info about the ports. We are on the Njord doing the same itinerary in just a few weeks, so it was very helpful to have an idea of what Viking provides in each port. We will have a better idea of how to plan our days because of your review! Thanks!

Nice review--thanks so very much! We too experienced Viking this Spring, for our first river cruise ever, and though many aspects were above our expectations, the dining room was quite a disappointment. The staff were simply overwhelmed. This made for long waits, not knowing what course timing to expect, and a LONG wait for the preferred wine list, drinks, and even special coffees. BUT, the food was excellent, so we looked forward to each evening, as uneven as they were. We believe the dining room was simply very poorly managed.

We were on the older ship "Europe" in France. Though they tried, the waitstaff did not appear to be team oriented, which can be a disaster for a small ship and crew. The maitre 'D appeared distracted most of the time, but we think he tried hard given the understaffed/inexperienced situation.

Some of the staff were outstanding...bartender Andras and cabin attendant Maria were absolutely fabulous, and consistently professional and efficient. WONDERFUL folks we wish the best!

So will we return? Maybe, but with all the river cruise competition we need assurance from Viking that the dining room will be properly staffed and managed.

The ship was terrific in every way...clean, spacious for us, and the cabins terrific( Cat B). The tours were great as well... overall, a very nice trip for our first river cruise...

MikeMartha

I'll add my thanks to the others here.

DW and I along with two other couples will sail on the Njord out of Budapest on Sept 15, 2012. I am summarizing your points and responses to questions to share with our traveling friends.

You've helped build the excitement. Your posts of the daily info sheets, bar menu and ESPECIALLY the optional excursions goes above and beyond.

MikeMartha

I'll add my thanks to the others here.

DW and I along with two other couples will sail on the Njord out of Budapest on Sept 15, 2012. I am summarizing your points and responses to questions to share with our traveling friends.

You've helped build the excitement. Your posts of the daily info sheets, bar menu and ESPECIALLY the optional excursions goes above and beyond.

I'm not a big poster, but I have learned alot by reading cruise critic. Planning a trip is fun, but to be honest most of the planning on this river trip was done by Viking. You have some free time in some ports to explore so we usually planned on hitting a bar and relaxing and watch the people. We are not exactly young ducks, so some time off our feet always felt good. I have a few things I thought Viking could do better, but overall you will get your monies worth.

Archived