Live from the Viking Idun

mikemartha

We will be sailing with Viking in June on our first river cruise. I noticed you said the recommended gratuity is 12 euros per person per day. I think I read somewhere that in addition to the 12 euros pp/day they also recommended 3 euros pp/day for the cruise director. In other words I think we are supposed to budget 15 euros pp/day for the cruise. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the updates we will be cruising this fall.

How are you planning on paying the tips. Do they add them on the end to your cruise account like in the states?

Where have you been getting your euros? Have you used atms while on the trip?

How about credit cards?

Sunrocket

mikemartha;33630221]Since my last post we have been traveling on the Main River. Pronounced Mine. Going through 33 locks. We have been banded from the top deck because of low bridges.

On Wednesday morning there was a glass blowing demonstration and an opportunity to purchase. Takes credit cards and will ship. In the afternoon off the ship in Freudenberg, bussed to Miltenberg for a walking tour, and then bussed to Wertheim to rejoin the ship. No time in either the first or last town to see anything. On the free time on these walking tours when they say meet at a certain time, they really mean they are leaving; so be there or you will be playing catchup.

Yesterday we took a tour of Wurzburg Residenz in Wurzburg and then joined the optional tour to Rothenburg. 59 euro per person including lunch. I was disappointed with the lunch, but the first place where they had good shopping. Was it worth 59 euro. Probably not, but been there, done that. But it was a opportunity to get off the boat and the boat is traveling.

Our program director recommended the tips given the private tour guides is 3 euro per couple and 1 euro per couple for the bus driver.

While the tips for the cruise itself is recommended at 12 euros per person per day appears to be steep, it does include the cruise director and all other staff. Believe me they earn their money and you will be happy to give it to them. You have already paid a arm and a leg for the cruise, a little more blood won't hurt.

the account as I just purchased my Euros from Travelex and I didn't get as many as this requires and still have enough left for us to eat in the little villages, etc. Otherwise, I will have to make another trip to Travelex to get some. For the other poster, if there is a Travelex office near you and you buy enough, there is no charge and they will buy them back without a charge within 90 days of purchase. Otherwise, when I have not gotten enough here--I sometimes just stop in one of the booths at the airport. They charge more, but they don't hold you up. It seems to be a major project in the local office here. However, I was turning in Pounds and Rands at the same time as I was purchasing Euros and the money for Hungary (forgot what they called it). Some people use their ATMs to get them from machines, but I don't have an ATM card! Can't teach an old horse new tricks. LOL

Your gratuities can be added to your shipboard acct. You will be given an estimated acct for your review a day before disembarkation which will include any purchases made in the bar or for optional tours. Then, the day of departure you will close out your acct and let them know you want to add your gratuities on at that time. Very easy.

Caroldoll, we had figured we would need Euros for purchasing snacks/drinks in the towns as well, but really, you can charge those if you wish. On several occasions, we stopped after our walking tours for a hot chocolate and a waffle (my husband loved the waffles!), or a beer and a soda and fries and the check was often around 10-12euro. So, no problem with charging it. The only time we didn't use our charge card was if the purchase in a shop or a cafe was under 5euros.

We will be sailing with Viking in June on our first river cruise. I noticed you said the recommended gratuity is 12 euros per person per day. I think I read somewhere that in addition to the 12 euros pp/day they also recommended 3 euros pp/day for the cruise director. In other words I think we are supposed to budget 15 euros pp/day for the cruise. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I checked again the departure info we were sent. 12 euro a day, which includes the program director. So I expect to pay 15 days X 24 euro. We brought about 750 euro with us. Credit cards work and have not used my debit cards. Make sure you call your bank and tell them you are traveling. Left over euros we take home. If one of our family members will be traveling, the euros will make a great birthday or Christmas present.

Security on the boat is lax, hopefully no one messes it up. You you need to turn in your room key when you leave the boat and get a paper travel card, when you return to the boat you get your room key back. That's how they keep track of who is on board.

information is so helpful.

Friday we docked in an industrial area of Bamberg. Had a guided tour and some free time. I trid ome more beer. Like drinking ham. Bamberg ws one of the few German cities not bombed during world war II.

Saturday we docked in an industrial area in Nuremberg. We took the option tour for 39 euro and visited the documentation center and the palace of justice and court 600 where the Nuremberg Trials took place. My Conley comment would be we needed more time to really get a good grasp of what was there.

"I trid ome more beer. Like drinking ham."

was that the schlenkerla smokebeer that you had? It takes a lot of getting use to. One is enough.

If you are running low on euros you can use a debit card at any ATM (geldautomat). Of course you need to let your bank know before you go overseas what countries you will be visiting and when.

That's it, I better try proofing what I type. Smoke beer it was. On other threads there has been discussions about bringing kids. Warning you need to plan all activities for the young and teenagers. Not much room to spread out. The simple answer is I wouldn't advise it.

We didn't buy the Viking silver liquor package. 299 euro X 2 is a lot of money. Table wine is not that bad. We have bought wine off ship and brought it on. I usually have a Jack on the rocks before dinner for 7.5 euro and it is a healthy poor. They have had nights where all drinks were half off. They have had bloody Mary's for 3.50. Last night they had vodka drinks for 3.99. Yes you can't call the vodka, but if you have it with a mix it taste fine. Not as generous with the beer for lunch and dinner. You need to ask for seconds, where the wine they just pour and pour.

Thanks for all your information. When your purchase drinks on board does Viking add on tip and tax ?

That's it, I better try proofing what I type. Smoke beer it was. On other threads there has been discussions about bringing kids. Warning you need to plan all activities for the young and teenagers. Not much room to spread out. The simple answer is I wouldn't advise it.

We didn't buy the Viking silver liquor package. 299 euro X 2 is a lot of money. Table wine is not that bad. We have bought wine off ship and brought it on. I usually have a Jack on the rocks before dinner for 7.5 euro and it is a healthy poor. They have had nights where all drinks were half off. They have had bloody Mary's for 3.50. Last night they had vodka drinks for 3.99. Yes you can't call the vodka, but if you have it with a mix it taste fine. Not as generous with the beer for lunch and dinner. You need to ask for seconds, where the wine they just pour and pour.

I checked again the departure info we were sent. 12 euro a day, which includes the program director. So I expect to pay 15 days X 24 euro. We brought about 750 euro with us. Credit cards work and have not used my debit cards. Make sure you call your bank and tell them you are traveling. Left over euros we take home. If one of our family members will be traveling, the euros will make a great birthday or Christmas present.

Security on the boat is lax, hopefully no one messes it up. You you need to turn in your room key when you leave the boat and get a paper travel card, when you return to the boat you get your room key back. That's how they keep track of who is on board.

Thanks for rechecking the departure information for me (I haven't gotten mine yet....we are about 4 weeks from departing) I don't remember where I read that other information but I'm glad that you were able to clarify this for me.

Arrived in Regenensberg two hours late. Explainion from our guide was they work on the canals in April and the ship s are backed up. Last year the river cruises had priority but not this year. No word from Viking, which could be improved. Had a great guide for a city tour. At the end we walked across the Stone Bridge and ate sausage at Alte Wurstkuche, Germany's oldest restaurant. Might be more expensive, but the real thing. We are here on a Sunday, so most of the stores are closed . For you guys that is a good thing.

Weather was raining this morning, but nice this afternoon. Rum drink today And maybe that is my problem. I haven't checked tonight, but at last check we haven't been able to go up on the view check. Viking doesn't say that in the fine print. All in all a great day.

Thanks for all your information. When your purchase drinks on board does Viking add on tip and tax ?

Just the cost of drink. Sometimes you a sign a paper and sometimes not. Be interesting to see my bill. Rum drinks the special today. 3.50 a drink.

Don't let them take the credit card out of your sight. They should bring the machine to you. If not follow along. Another lesson yesterday. Watch where you are walking. A lady took a nasty fall yesterday because she missed a step. Easy to do when your head is up watching the beautiful sights. None of us are as young as we think we are.

Hi Mike and Martha,

Leaving for Budapest Friday, to take the same trip opposite direction as you are on currently. Curious about rooms, we are in 325 veranda , wonder if a bit more room than French balcony? Not sure if you would know, but thought we would ask, since you are the resident experts!:)

Hi Mike and Martha,

Leaving for Budapest Friday, to take the same trip opposite direction as you are on currently. Curious about rooms, we are in 325 veranda , wonder if a bit more room than French balcony? Not sure if you would know, but thought we would ask, since you are the resident experts!:)

We are next door in 323. Rooms are smaller than ocean liners, but you have a great room and view. The one thing they don't tell you that onces you leave Passau you will have 5 days of not being able to go up on the view deck. Youwill appreciate the balcony. Also after Passau you will have a ton of locks. Weather has been great after the first two days. You will enjoy.

Mike and Martha,

You have made our day with your confirmation of our room choice! We struggled with the French balcony vs Veranda balcony, and felt it was the right choice with our first river cruise, bucket list trip, etc. To be able to sit on our balcony when sun deck not available will be great! So glad your weather cleared up and you are enjoying so much, hope we have some that that good weather left when we arrive..

Arrived in Regenensberg two hours late. Explainion from our guide was they work on the canals in April and the ship s are backed up. Last year the river cruises had priority but not this year. No word from Viking, which could be improved. Had a great guide for a city tour. At the end we walked across the Stone Bridge and ate sausage at Alte Wurstkuche, Germany's oldest restaurant. Might be more expensive, but the real thing. We are here on a Sunday, so most of the stores are closed . For you guys that is a good thing.

Weather was raining this morning, but nice this afternoon. Rum drink today And maybe that is my problem. I haven't checked tonight, but at last check we haven't been able to go up on the view check. Viking doesn't say that in the fine print. All in all a great day.

Dear mikemartha,

We have so enjoyed reading your posts during your time aboard Viking Idun — and especially are pleased at those where you declare that all in all you had a great day!

As some of the first guests to sail aboard Viking Idun your comments and feedback on all aspects of the ship, service, itinerary and cruise experience are invaluable to us. We hope that when you return home you will email us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com and share more of your opinions, suggestions, what you really enjoyed the most, or any concerns you may have. Basically, anything you think we should know about your trip, we very much want to hear.

We understand your disappointment with the Sun Deck sometimes being closed due to lower bridges, but please know that it is for the safety of our guests. We hope that during those times you were instead able to enjoy sailing from the Aquavit Terrace, Lounge or your stateroom.

We hope the rest of your trip is wonderful and we hope to hear from you after you’ve returned home, unpacked, and settled back in to daily life.

Warm regards,

Viking River Cruises

post from Viking. MikeMartha, you have helped us immensely. We will be on the Idun in late June and July from Amsterdam to Budapest. We have one of those Explorer Suites and are looking forward to using our patio sometimes. Hope so. Thanks for your posts.

Dear mikemartha,

We have so enjoyed reading your posts during your time aboard Viking Idun — and especially are pleased at those where you declare that all in all you had a great day!

As some of the first guests to sail aboard Viking Idun your comments and feedback on all aspects of the ship, service, itinerary and cruise experience are invaluable to us. We hope that when you return home you will email us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com and share more of your opinions, suggestions, what you really enjoyed the most, or any concerns you may have. Basically, anything you think we should know about your trip, we very much want to hear.

We understand your disappointment with the Sun Deck sometimes being closed due to lower bridges, but please know that it is for the safety of our guests. We hope that during those times you were instead able to enjoy sailing from the Aquavit Terrace, Lounge or your stateroom.

We hope the rest of your trip is wonderful and we hope to hear from you after you’ve returned home, unpacked, and settled back in to daily life.

Warm regards,

Viking River Cruises

I Can appreciate the safety part and the 3 hours it takes the crew to take down the rails etc, but I think it is fair to let future river cruisers on the Grand European Tour that 7 straight days we were not allowed on the top deck. My advice is to get off the ship every chance you get. On board you have about 1/3 of the third deck to move around. It is not a big minus, but the lack of information is.

I Can appreciate the safety part and the 3 hours it takes the crew to take down the rails etc, but I think it is fair to let future river cruisers on the Grand European Tour that 7 straight days we were not allowed on the top deck. My advice is to get off the ship every chance you get. On board you have about 1/3 of the third deck to move around. It is not a big minus, but the lack of information is.

Monday we docked in Passau and had a walking tour and an optional organ concert. Walking tours have been informative and generally 90 minutes long. Had some free time to walk around and the ship left at 6:00 p.m. this was our last German stop.

Tuesday we arrived in Melk and took a tour bus up to the Melk Abbey, many walked down. In the afternoon we sailed thru the Wachau Valley and docked in Durnstein small interesting town. We found a couple of good bars. One for wine and one for beer. Went off ship after dinner and hit another bar near where we docked. Left at midnight.

Breakfast while a buffet have been good. Benjamin makes a mean omlet. Cereal, bread, fruit all there.

Archived