Bad parenting and door decorations.

kayhold

So, my son is in Kindergarten. He was originally going to attend a private charter school, but at the last minute I realized our public school was really great (AND that the Charter school was closing next year due to funding issues) and we went with that.

The problem is that I mixed the last day of school up between the 2 schools, and my son is missing the last week of K - including graduation. (Yes, I'm a bad parent!)

I know Kindergarten graduation isn't serious business, but I feel terrible and we decided turn our cruise into a little graduation cruise for him.

I wasn't going to decorate doors/etc but now I am thinking I should do a little something for him. I'm looking to do something simple for him that will easily pack and that a 6 year old is going to think is just great. We're only taking carry ones, so a poster board is out. I'm not sure if our OV on Fascination has metal doors or not.

Anything you can suggest would be awesome!

So, my son is in Kindergarten. He was originally going to attend a private charter school, but at the last minute I realized our public school was really great (AND that the Charter school was closing next year due to funding issues) and we went with that.

The problem is that I mixed the last day of school up between the 2 schools, and my son is missing the last week of K - including graduation. (Yes, I'm a bad parent!)

I know Kindergarten graduation isn't serious business, but I feel terrible and we decided turn our cruise into a little graduation cruise for him.

I wasn't going to decorate doors/etc but now I am thinking I should do a little something for him. I'm looking to do something simple for him that will easily pack and that a 6 year old is going to think is just great. We're only taking carry ones, so a poster board is out. I'm not sure if our OV on Fascination has metal doors or not.

Anything you can suggest would be awesome!

I don't have any great suggestions but wanted to say don't beat yourself up. vacation time with family is far better and more memorable for a 6yo that a ceremony at school. What he will gain from fun times with his mama and daddy far outweigh what will be missed. The only one who will suffer is you, if you let it ( or other peoples opinions) bother you. Have fun with your little guy and don't give it another thought !

The major greeting card company makes " moveable stickers" They are like window clings, but will stick to anything & easily come off. They come in a variety of cartoon characters including *********, mickey sponge bob & toy story characters. Easily carried on & easily taken back home for his room walls. You can find these at wally world in the party goods/greeting card section. Good luck.

Get a graduation table cloth for the door and hang with it duct tape. We put a sharpie out and wrote happy Birthday for our daughter and anyone walking by signed it including the staff it was awesome. I would also order a cake from Bon Voyage that you can celebrate on the day that would have been his graduation. Good luck and have fun.

Order him a graduation cake from Bon Voyage, they may even have graduation room decorations that you can order and would already be put up when you 1st get to your cabin.

I agree with Tracy, don't get too upset about it.

I'd say hit the dollar store...they are full of graduation goodies right now. Chances are that he will think it is even cooler that he's going on a cruise for his Kinder graduation and will remember it forever.

Enjoy the cruise!!

Aww that's so sweet! I was going to suggest Bon Voyage also, (I've only recently discovered its existence) but I didn't see anything for graduation decorations. It does say you can call for other ideas though.

Since you've already received a bunch of great ideas..I'll only chime in to say..

We did the same thing to my son years ago when he was in K..

didn't mean to, but planned a trip to FL to visit great grandparents..DH's time off work was limited and we were spending hard earned money to fly down so when we were able to get dates to coincide w/ Memorial Day we jumped on them..forgetting his last day of K was the day after Mem Day.

He is now 35 yrs old and doesn't even remember missing his graduation..but sure remembers that wonderful trip to the beach and to see family.

Don't let it bother you..It won't bother him!

I think a cake and a little family party will be nice but I have to tell you from a long-term perspective that I have pictures of my boys' kindergarten graduations and they STILL don't remember it; but they can tell you about every vacation we ever went on.

IMHO, I remember very little, if anything, about kindergarten. I think he will remember a cruise with his parents. I personally think I would have liked the treat of missing the last week of school to spend on a boat, than going to a graduation ceremony. Which, come to think of it, I am not sure that we even had that when I was growing up......

I teach kindergarten music and the K kids will be singing several songs at their graduation next week. If your son was going to be doing something like that, let him go ahead and sing the songs to you and just have a little private graduation ceremony.

My son is in the 8th grade and he missed his kindergarten graduation to go on vacation and he has never cared one bit. This year is 8th grade graduation and he will be there. No biggie. Worse things to miss. My boys would rather cruise then attend school functions.

Don't stress about school. I never attended my kindergarten graduation and still managed to get a Master's Degree and become a productive member of society.

I pull my daughter out for a week each year to go to Europe. She has learned more about history, art, government, geography, etc from those trips than she ever learned in school.

Don't beat yourself up. IMO there are too many graduations these days, a lot more than when I was young. There is graduation for pre-K, kindergarten, 5th or 6th grade, 8th grade and then finally the important one....12th grade. I think all of these graduations take away from the real important one (12th), this is the one my kids really care about and will truly remember. I thought the preschool one was really cute too.

If it makes you feel better, my kids are now 16, 15, 13 and 9 and none of them had a kindergarten graduation. :)

Go to Shindigz . Com and order a custom vertical banner for about $14-16. You can even change the horizontal designs to go vertically, if you have a little patience. They have several graduation themes I believe.

I have a vinyl cruise banner we hang on our door every cruise with the help of some bungees. It rolls up nicely, so easy to pack, and has metal grommets in the corners, so easy to hang. (Sorry - I'm on a mobile device, so no pics.)

You can even order "Congrats" room decorations from Bon Voyage. I was actually considering this myself, as my little girl graduates Kindergarten the week before we sail.

Enjoy!

I teach kindergarten music and the K kids will be singing several songs at their graduation next week. If your son was going to be doing something like that, let him go ahead and sing the songs to you and just have a little private graduation ceremony.

Or he can sing the songs at the Camp Carnival talent show and get a medal, certificate, and meet-and-greet with FunShip Freddy.

Order him a graduation cake from Bon Voyage, they may even have graduation room decorations that you can order and would already be put up when you 1st get to your cabin.

I second this! The cakes are really yummy, and you could have it delivered at dinner so he can celebrate with his table mates. :) They have chocolate cake and white cake with a strawberry filling.

I'm sure he's going to have a blast!

He will have a great time on the cruise instead! Ask at the school if you can borrow a cap and gown ahead of time (many times they just reuse them year to year) and you can get some photos of your son with his teacher and with you all. Dont beat yourself up, have a great cruise. My kids LOVE cruising more than any other vacation!

The major greeting card company makes " moveable stickers" They are like window clings, but will stick to anything & easily come off. They come in a variety of cartoon characters including *********, mickey sponge bob & toy story characters. Easily carried on & easily taken back home for his room walls. You can find these at wally world in the party goods/greeting card section. Good luck.

yes go to your neighborhood Hall..rk store they have some cute graduation stuff that can be used and have fun you are not a bad parent!!!!!!

i dont' think you are a bad parent for missing kindergarten graduation. i think i'm a great mom, and my kid missed graduation from Kindergarten.

technically, out of my 3 kids, only one of the 3's school offered a graduation from kindergarten, and we missed it. we opted for a trip to disney world instead.

i remember back when there were no graduations from kindergarten or jr. high. i think if it was not celebrated, your son would be just fine.

celebrate by making a stuffed bear. he'll love it.

Giving your son the opportunity to travel and see/experience new things is better parenting than organising a big deal "graduation" he almost certainly won't remember anyway.

Archived