Rough seas? Norway & Iceland

Hello all. I just saw another thread about rough vs smooth seas and now I'm wondering about our summer cruise. We are cruising from Southampton to Norway to Iceland and then back to Southampton in late July. I believe that is the North Sea and Atlantic. I have been seasick and it was not fun. I realize that the sea can change at any time, but is this route typically smooth or are there some rough patches? We'll be on the Caribbean Princess, if that makes a difference. Thank you so much.

The North Atlantic is the most unpredictable ocean in the world. You just have to hope you hit it right! Earlier this year we went round Cape Horn expecting 40 foot seas and gales and it was flat calm and sunny. 2 years ago we did the Baltic from Southampton and it was a millpond all the 14 days. Even when we went across the Bay of Biscay 4 years ago in November (traditionally a stormy time) it wasn't too bad, but then again I've been stuck outside Dover on a ferry for 6 hours due to storms in July! You just never know, but hope for the best!

Simon

The North Atlantic is the most unpredictable ocean in the world. You just have to hope you hit it right! Earlier this year we went round Cape Horn expecting 40 foot seas and gales and it was flat calm and sunny. 2 years ago we did the Baltic from Southampton and it was a millpond all the 14 days. Even when we went across the Bay of Biscay 4 years ago in November (traditionally a stormy time) it wasn't too bad, but then again I've been stuck outside Dover on a ferry for 6 hours due to storms in July! You just never know, but hope for the best!

Simon

Thank you Simon. That's what I've heard, but I was hoping that people would tell me, "No problem. It's always smooth as glass in July:p". It makes me a little nervous. I like a little motion, actually lulls me to sleep, but I had a rough day on one Alaskan cruise where I couldn't get out of bed without the room spinning!

You were brave to cross the Bay of Biscay in Nov. I've seen video of some tremendous waves there!

Thanks again.

We had some rough seas between Scotland and Reykjavik, and Reykjavik and Newfoundland, Canada in September 2009. I take Meclizine (the main ingredient in Bonine) daily - whether or not seas are rough.

Thank you Simon. That's what I've heard, but I was hoping that people would tell me, "No problem. It's always smooth as glass in July:p". It makes me a little nervous. I like a little motion, actually lulls me to sleep, but I had a rough day on one Alaskan cruise where I couldn't get out of bed without the room spinning!

You were brave to cross the Bay of Biscay in Nov. I've seen video of some tremendous waves there!

Thanks again.

We are also doing Norway/Iceland in July but after10 years sailing with cargo ships, all over the world, at all times of the year, we have learned that at sea the one thing you cannot be sure of is the where and when of bad weather.

:eek: The roughest weather we have experienced

1. Crossing the Bay of Lyons in the northern Med in the same storm which damaged a cruise ship and killed one passenger - 6 hours in which our ship achieved at least one roll to the max of her design.

2. A force 10 gale in the southern Med just after leaving Suez - the wind swung through every point of the compass and we bounced every which way.

3. Bass Strait between the Australian mainland and Tasmania - long rollers that had to be seen to be unbelieved coming up from astern - we were surfing.

All in what you would think were sheltered waters at the least likely time of year for bad weather.

:) By contrast, some of the calmest weather

1. Crossing the northern Pacific in Winter. Day after day of perfect, flat calm; warm sunshine and hundreds of dolphins.

2. Crossing the northern Atlantic in April - Titanic weather - freezing cold and oily flat calm - but a bit sinister

3. Every crossing to date of the Bay of Biscay - we have lost count now of the times we have expected the worst and been disappointed (not) !

;) So the moral is take your medication, be ready for anything and follow the old sailors maxim 'One hand for the ship and the other for yourself'

Being sick is unpleasant but it is much more important to stay safe and uninjured, sometimes bed is the safest place.

Calm cruising :)

Anni

You should be fine. These ships are huge and have good stabilisers. If you are prone to seasickness you should choose a stateroom in the centre of the ship and not too high up. We have had Dolphin and Caribe staterooms with no trouble at all in rough seas. You should definately take some medication with you and take it the minute you feel even slightly unwell. We take Sealegs but as we are in the UK you may not be able to get them.

The worst position on the ship is at the front, here you will feel the swell of the sea more.

I think by July the wind will have blown itself out as we have had the most dreadful weather here for weeks with very high winds. Yesterday and today the sea is so calm you can almost see your face in it.

Good luck and have a lovely holiday.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Shoreham01, we're in the middle of the Caribe deck, so I think that will help.

Anni: You're courageous. I hope we don't have any "rock and roll" stories to tell, just tales of a smooth sailing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a motion sickness solution that doesn't make you tired? Do meclizine and Sealegs produce this fatigue? The last time I experienced any motion sickness, I just took dramamine and stayed in bed. This time I have children, so it is more challenging to simply stay in bed!

Thanks again!

Anni: You're courageous. I hope we don't have any "rock and roll" stories to tell, just tales of a smooth sailing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a motion sickness solution that doesn't make you tired? Do meclizine and Sealegs produce this fatigue? The last time I experienced any motion sickness, I just took dramamine and stayed in bed. This time I have children, so it is more challenging to simply stay in bed!

Thanks again!

Meclizine is also the main ingredient in the less-drowsy version of Dramamine. It isn't supposed to make you sleepy, but it does have that effect on some people. It's a once-a-day pill, so I usually take it before bed.

Meclizine is also the main ingredient in the less-drowsy version of Dramamine. It isn't supposed to make you sleepy, but it does have that effect on some people. It's a once-a-day pill, so I usually take it before bed.

Thank you. Perhaps I should have meclizine on hand, just in case.

Definitely take Meclizine. We have done a variation of this trip twice. Once, we were the only people in the main dining room at lunch--we sat in the middle of the room to minimize movement. It definitely can be pretty rough, so just be prepared. Think about staying low and in the center of the ship if possible.

Definitely take Meclizine. We have done a variation of this trip twice. Once, we were the only people in the main dining room at lunch--we sat in the middle of the room to minimize movement. It definitely can be pretty rough, so just be prepared. Think about staying low and in the center of the ship if possible.

Oh my. What time of year did you travel?

Thanks again!

Middle of Caribe deck is just perfect. If you have a balcony it will have a bigger balcony and also partial cover so if the weather is not too good you can still go outside. Have a wonderful time.

If you're going to try use drowsy Dramamine I'd suggest you try it at home when you're not planning to go anywhere. I only took it once at bedtime, and I couldn't wake up the next morning. I didn't have any alcohol, and I take no prescription meds so it didn't have anything to interact with. It was a miserable feeling.

You might try ginger capsules that are readily available in the vitamin section of any drug/grocery store. They're very effective.

If you're going to try use drowsy Dramamine I'd suggest you try it at home when you're not planning to go anywhere. I only took it once at bedtime, and I couldn't wake up the next morning. I didn't have any alcohol, and I take no prescription meds so it didn't have anything to interact with. It was a miserable feeling.

You might try ginger capsules that are readily available in the vitamin section of any drug/grocery store. They're very effective.

It's definitely a good idea to try Meclizine/Bonine/Less-Drowsy Dramamine before you leave home! I buy a bottle of 100 Meclizine from the pharmacy at Sam's Club for less than $4, but you wouldn't want to buy 100 of anything until you know how it affects your body.

It's definitely a good idea to try Meclizine/Bonine/Less-Drowsy Dramamine before you leave home! I buy a bottle of 100 Meclizine from the pharmacy at Sam's Club for less than $4, but you wouldn't want to buy 100 of anything until you know how it affects your body.

I use the patch. You need a prescription for it but I find after the first day, I don't have the drowsy/drugged feeling that I get from Dramamine. It gets so bad, I don't know if its the seasickness or the seasickness remedy that is making me feel nauseus. I've heard of the ginger remedy and am thinking of trying it myself. We're doing the Baltic in August. Another cure that many people swear by is the seabands. They are elastic bands that have a button that supposedly presses against a pressure point on your wrist that keeps you from getting sick. Good luck

Archived