Where would you stay overnight?

karonijo

You can stay at the Hampton Inn at Port Everglades..(F.L0 they have coupons now .... go online to the travel guide) watch a lot of ships go in and out..and then a 15 mile drive on the safe interstate to Miami's Port.

How bad is Miami? And it about time someone told tourists the truth. The Police in Miami carry AK 47's and they are still pittifully out gunned. The dredges of the Caribbean, Central and Latin America live there..........it is Old Havanna on Steriods.

You are totally ignorant.

I've stayed in Miami for several cruises including one the week of April 21st last month. Most people speak English. I love Miami.

And, no I do not speak Spanish.

And second, NO police force in the US carries AK-47s. NONE.

Andy

:cool:

You are totally ignorant.

I've stayed in Miami for several cruises including one the week of April 21st last month. Most people speak English. I love Miami.

And, no I do not speak Spanish.

And second, NO police force in the US carries AK-47s. NONE.

Andy

:cool:

Correct. I'll bet the poster you quoted couldn't identify one anyway, just the name.

Thanks for all the responses ..out of all the wonderful things I hear about bayside ..I would really love to give Miami a try ..so I think I may just do that.. I also got a little feedback from my boss who is from down in that area...keep the responses and suggestions coming please...I really take to heart the wealth of information I have learned here..

Miami is a great city, the options can be overwelming but there are plenty of places you'd like. Narrow it down to the area you want to stay in (SoBe, downtown, etc) and go from there. Have fun!

Two that typically are decents rates in September and are exceptional hotels are:

InterContinental Bayside, and

Casa Moderna (formerly Tempo)

Some like to stay in SoBe at the boutique hotels as well....

HAve stayed at the IC and Hyatt Regency both are very nice. We always book through a name your own price. Bayside is kinda touristy but we didnt mind. They had entertainment and food and shopping for anything you may have forgotten. IC was closer but the Hyatt was pretty close . We walked out front door of Hyatt crossed the street and walked along the water to BAyside. I always go with the cheaper one more money for drinks:)

We've stayed at the Marriott, the Hyatt, the Holiday Inn, and the Intercontinental...all close to bayside and all decent hotels. Never have had a problem there.

(You're probably wondering why all the different hotels....we tend to use the discount sites...have never paid more than $90 per night yet! ):)

I would not stay in Miami.

My DH is a Florida Native..and it is hard for him to visit Miami. he remembers when it was USA. We don't speak Spanish and in an emergency...that is a big drawback. ..

Wow...

Seriously????

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You also might not like the far northeastern part of the US where many people speak French . :rolleyes:

OP:

I love Miami...It's my absolute favorite sail away port!! We always stay at the Marriott with a bayview room to see the ship when we wake up (usually it's shipS...many of them!!)

I love the entire South Beach area...LOVE Bayside shopping/restaurants.

There is so much to see and do.

I love to fly in to Miami, stay in Miami and do as much as possible IN Miami before we get on the ship.

Embarking in Miami is fabulous...they have it down to a science.

I have sailed from FLL once (not impressed)...I have never felt the need to stay outside of Miami for any reason.

I am confused as all heck about the 'fear factor' here :confused:

We cruised out of Miami last year and stayed right at the airport in a nice cluster of nice hotels area. We stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn. We felt safe when we saw all the nice--very nice, and CLEAN looking hotels all together off the interstate. You'll have plenty of days to enjoy views. There's a famous golf country club course really close by. Very high society. However, we ate at an Applebee's that night before and had the RUDEST waitress ever. The type you only see on sitcoms, lol. But the area was CLEAN (as you can see, 'clean areas' are super important to me). Now I hear that the other side of the interstate is rough. But you can tell just driving down the road which side is which. If you absolutely couldn't stand being at the airport, and just had to see the ocean that night before, do what the other posters recommended and stay in Fort Lauderdale. Right on the ocean is clean and nice there. (I especially love "Little Fort Lauderdale") Stay away from the port area to be really safe.

Would this "cluster of hotels" be where we might find La Quinta?? We will be driving from Maine and need a "safe" place where we can stay and leave our car for the duration of our cruise.

I am enjoying this helpful post. We are cruising out of Miami next year but I think that I will take the advice of the other posters and not stay overnight in Miami. Safety is huge for us.

I see you are from Jacksonville - Jax actually has a higher crime rate than Miami. Just like any city there are good and bad areas. You will be fine downtown (use common sense and take a cab after dark) or the south side of the airport (north side is not so nice.) There are plenty of wonderful things in Miami to see and do and if there were that much crime against tourists you'd hear a lot more as many thousands of cruise passengers depart there every week and the many thousands more who spend time there on land trips.

Archived