Need Suggestions for Inside Cabin!

My mom, boyfriend and I will be in an inside cabin on the Mariner....all together for 7 days! I am going to try to get an upgrade between now and then, but the ship is pretty much full! Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work out any easier???????

Wait 'til your mom goes out for something, then put the "Do Not Disturb" sign out for the whole week;) (just kidding)

This is someone else's idea, if the ship has a bow cam, put tv on that channel at night with the sound off so you can tell when it is daylight again. Happy sailing:)

The inside cabins are pretty small... not sure about the size on Mariner but we just got off Rhapsody and had an inside cabin and there were only 2 of us.. I couldnt imagine there being 3 people in one of those cabins.. they were extremely small.. I would definitely hope to be upgraded.. but its better than nothing.. I would bring things that you guys could do outside of the cabin.. such as cards, yatzee game, etc.. there is so much to do up on the decks that really the only time you will probably be in the room is to sleep..

We never spend time in the room except to sleep and shower/change. The showering and changing is kid of what concerns me, and storage for all the luggage. Mom and I usually take the whole room for dressing, and my boyfriend is a fairly big guy, and has trouble getting ready in the tiny bathrooms!

Evenings will be fine- You'll just have to make an agreement that he stays out while you both dress - then you and mom go for cocktails while he dresses! It's different in the mornings- hope someone can come up with a solution - maybe he could slip on his shorts and go for a run while you two shower and dress. Looks like you will spend lots of time bonding with your mom!

We have had an inside cabin on the Explorer with 3 and a half residents. My wife, her mother, me and my wife's service dog Valentine. Besides that we kept an electric scooter in the room. We did the same thing the next year with my sister. We spend very little time in the cabin so it was easy, still tight at times, but very managable. I usually got dressed first and left so they could dress. Like I said it was tight but very managable.

We have had 3 adults, 2 kids with an inside several times. We did not find it to be a problem. You can either schedule the shower time, or as I have seen suggested on the tips thread, the spa has wonderful shower facilities. Congratulations on your graduation. Enjoy your cruise!!

Evenings will be fine- You'll just have to make an agreement that he stays out while you both dress -

Do you know how long it will take two women to get dressed. The poor guy might as wll pitch a tent on the pool deck.......:rolleyes:

Maybe you and your boyfriend can come up with enough $ between now and your cruise to upgarde you guys to a BALCONY cabin. That extra outside space can really seem like one more room when folks are getting ready or just driving you crazy.

Something to think about!

My mom, boyfriend and I will be in an inside cabin on the Mariner....all together for 7 days! I am going to try to get an upgrade between now and then, but the ship is pretty much full! Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work out any easier???????

I really cannot imagine sailing with my mom and BF in the same cabin! Nor can I imagine my mother being open to that situation.

The cabins are very small. Be respectful of your moms privacy when she is dressing, etc. To me, this would be very awkward!

A wise person once told me never book or stay in a room/hotel. that is less than what you are used to at home. After all it's vacation.

soo if your used to cramped quarters it's probably not an issue, but........

we have always stayed true to this advice and never been unhappy with our temporary living arrangements!

we also have never taken what some might say is a budget vacation. I figure if I have to count my pennies on vaca then It's more like being at home, and not a vacation.

Inside cabins usually have a curtain that you can draw between the "bedroom area" and the "living room area" (tee hee, they are so close as to be indistinguishable from each other) but in a pinch, you can draw the curtain so your BF can get dressed behind the curtain, while you and your Mom can be getting ready on the other side.

Also the bathroom and the dressing table/vanity area are separate, so one person can be doing makeup/curling/drying hair while someone else is in the bathroom showering. (and a third, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain")

Or, someone can shower in the workout center. I have heard many people do this (though I have not), to relieve room congestion.

During the day your room steward will put away the sofabed or the pullman bed for the third person, so you will have more room. There is plenty of "seating area" for three, between the two twin beds and a couch.

For romance, there's always the old "scarf on the door handle" trick from college!

To avoid some of the congestion when showering/changing, I would send your BF up to the spa/gym area to shower - bet he actually will prefer this since the showers there are closer to "normal" size. They have soap and towels already there. Could bring a small carry on bag with him with sundry kit and clothes.

I did this a few times during my last cruise - helped my wife out alot so she didn't feel rushed - especially on formal night.

in the spa area. I plan to work out early, but my son and nephew will still be sacked in, I'm sure. This way I can do my thing without waking them up. We are all staying in an inside (3057) on Radiance. It'll be tight. . .

Inside cabins usually have a curtain that you can draw between the "bedroom area" and the "living room area" (tee hee, they are so close as to be indistinguishable from each other) but in a pinch, you can draw the curtain so your BF can get dressed behind the curtain, while you and your Mom can be getting ready on the other side.

Also the bathroom and the dressing table/vanity area are separate, so one person can be doing makeup/curling/drying hair while someone else is in the bathroom showering. (and a third, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain")

Or, someone can shower in the workout center. I have heard many people do this (though I have not), to relieve room congestion.

During the day your room steward will put away the sofabed or the pullman bed for the third person, so you will have more room. There is plenty of "seating area" for three, between the two twin beds and a couch.

For romance, there's always the old "scarf on the door handle" trick from college!

There will not be sofa bed for the third person in an RCI stnadard cabin. There will be a fold down upper berth.

IME I have also never seen a curtain in a small inside stateroom, just in balcony cabins.

And I am sorry but calling attention to "romance" while sailing with mom is, IMHO, very tacky. Take a rest for goodness sakes!

Caviargirl:

I have had both sofabeds or pullmans on RCI insides (can't remember which ship also had the sofa option) but whether the sofa bed is present or not was not integral to my point. Which was: during the day the room is set back to rights, with room to move.

Every inside I have had on RCI, has had the curtains. They are sort of tucked back, on one side the hook is almost behind the TV, on the other almost behind the sofa.

I will be taking my 10th RCI cruise in June (7 different ships), and have almost always been in an inside, so I speak from experience.

"And I am sorry but calling attention to "romance" while sailing with mom is, IMHO, very tacky. Take a rest for goodness sakes!"

Oh please. Lighten up. It was just a joke.

I'd suggest you find Mom a nice location in the Solarium and set her up there for the week. It's really quiet in there at night, and some areas are darker than others. Unfortunately, the life boats are inaccessible.

My GF and I booked an inside cabin for a September cruise. We expect it to be fine for us because all we do is sleep/shower in our room when we travel. My bedroom at home is pretty small and the rooms we stayed in when travelling through Europe were pretty tiny too so I think we'll be fine.

However, we're going to try to upgrade at the pier. We figure most people will be upgrading to higher end suites so it might domino down and open up an outside cabin we can snag. But if it doesn't, I think we'll still be ok.

Good luck!

Archived