Golden Princess Dry Dock

Mycruises62

Oh, please keep Vines! :o And yes, this is a very congested area... will be interesting to see what happens with the addition of a Pizzaria.

In 2009, we were able to enjoy the improvements on our Alaska cruise.

Great ship!

We saw the Golden 2 days ago when we took friends (who sailed in on the Sapphire) to The Ramp (855 Terry Francois St.) for a drink. It's always fun to go to the Ramp - never know what ships you might see being worked on.

Cheers - Dee

I think the Captain said to help with weight due to Skywalker they were removing the electrical moving floor ramp up to it.
The moving sidewalk up to Skywalkers was never in operation during the day anyway. Which is when I like to go up there and take in the view.

Hmmmm... adding Alfredo's would be great, but I don't see them getting rid of Vines. Probably they'll do what they did on Sapphire Princess... add Alfredo's and make Vines much smaller. But great news that they're adding the pizzeria!

We just did the Golden's first itinerary after dry-dock, going from San Francisco, arrived Vancouver on Tuesday. No changes to Vines and no pizzeria.

I asked and was told the dry dock was routine maintenance and mechanical work. Most of the carpeting looked new, with those new carpet fuzz balls and the new carpet smell. The ship looks great... friendly crew and the food was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
I see that Princess has two different deck plans for her - depending on which side of May 2013, though I can't descern the difference. Any ideas?

Ray

I am not sure that they are different deck plans as much as they are different cabin ratings/categories and prices than previously. All the ships are showing a "change" around the same time next year and I do know that the categories and priceing of many of the cabins will be different than current.

I see that Princess has two different deck plans for her - depending on which side of May 2013, though I can't descern the difference. Any ideas?

Ray

I am not sure that they are different deck plans as much as they are different cabin ratings/categories and prices than previously. All the ships are showing a "change" around the same time next year and I do know that the categories and priceing of many of the cabins will be different than current.

It's a recategorization of their pricing structure & generally the most preferred location is midship lower decks & the least desirable the upper forward decks.

Here's a link if you'd like more info & while it took me awhile to figure it out, I now understand why the changes are being made.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=224172&d=1330737861

I think the Captain said to help with weight due to Skywalker they were removing the electrical moving floor ramp up to it.

Nope, still there and working.

We've heard all sorts of things supposedly reported by crew and officers about this "drydock", almost all incorrect.

Brian

Ensenada would work for a round trip cruise, starting and ending in LA (closed loop) , but not for a one-way cruise between two US ports, for that you need the "far and distant" foreign port in between the US ports.. Hence no passengers onboard.

But you knew that :)

Srpilo

Srpilo - sorta...I get confused with far foreign port and near foreign port and what applies to round trip cruises and what applies to one way...thanks for keeping me honest :)

Nope, still there and working.

We've heard all sorts of things supposedly reported by crew and officers about this "drydock", almost all incorrect.

I think the only difference is the recategorizing of cabins. Some will become a lower category and others higher. I think it is just for pricing. Some cabins that are more desirable, but have been priced lower in the past will now be more expensive. Princess has finally figured out what we have known for a long time -- some of their "upgrades" have actually seemed like "downgrades" -- so they will price accoridingly.

Archived