jelly fish

travsmom

As far as your concern about rocks...invest in some good fitting water shoes, they're perfect for walking to the beach, then swimming, and walking back.

The jellyfish concern is very justifiable...they're nasty little buggers and it hurts like heck to get stung by one. I've been stung twice...yes it hurts but I've learned to carefully scrape off any stinger legs left on and spray on vinegar. We take a mini hairspray bottle of vinegar with us every time we hit the beach.

I would like to get in the ocean whenever I get to go on a cruise but I worry about stepping on a jelly fish or sharp rock. How many on you have ran into this kind of problem?:(

I am in the ocean all the time and rarely get stung. Lucky for me I don't get affected that bad. Man o War leave red itchy marks, thats about it but of course others arent so lucky.

I never considered wearing protection until ;last year when a guy on our excursion in Grand Cayman was stung by a box jellyfish. IT was pretty bad. 8 people went to the hospital that way I believe.

Now its not that common as box jellies arent common there unless the current bring them, buts its always a possibility.

Do NOT rinse the sting with fresh water if you do get stung. It usually caused the tentacle to fire off more venom into you.

For peace of mind, get a rashguard or wear a shirt.

http://www.bodyglove.com/shop/categories/?1161/wetsuits-and-rashguards/surf/womens-first-layer

Honest to God I never would have thought of this. I've been going in the ocean all my life without being stung. Rocks are another issue and water shoes take care of them as PPs have posted. Jelly fish really would have been the last of my worries. Are they the ones you can pee on to stop the pain?

Honest to God I never would have thought of this. I've been going in the ocean all my life without being stung. Rocks are another issue and water shoes take care of them as PPs have posted. Jelly fish really would have been the last of my worries. Are they the ones you can pee on to stop the pain?

I joined the "jelly fish club" 2 years, after being stung 3 times on a snorkeling excursion in belize. :( Apparently it was a bad time in belize because they had recently had some bad storms.. They poured vinegar on the spots, and other than a few red spots for awhile, had no issues. ( they also say you can pee on jellyfish stings, and it helps, lol.. and no, i did not try that). Google "sea safe".. they make a lotion product that you can put on to repel jellyfish... I've used it since, with no issues. Also, bought a shirt to now wear snorkeling, but remember, they can sting anywhere. (hands, legs, face.)

Also, you DON'T want to put vinegar on stings from a Man o' War. Their venom is different from "true" jelly fish; vinegar will actually speed up delivery of the venom and may cause hemorrhaging. With those, you want to carefully scrape off the stingers, rinse with salt water, and then do a second rinse of hot water.

I would like to get in the ocean whenever I get to go on a cruise but I worry about stepping on a jelly fish or sharp rock. How many on you have ran into this kind of problem?:(

Jelly fish float, you won't step on one, but they might brush against you. Sometimes there are sharp objects on the bottom (not really rocks, but broken shells, or even glass). These can usually be seen and are not an issue, but if you are concerned buy water shoes or wear sandals in the water.

Also, you DON'T want to put vinegar on stings from a Man o' War. Their venom is different from "true" jelly fish; vinegar will actually speed up delivery of the venom and may cause hemorrhaging. With those, you want to carefully scrape off the stingers, rinse with salt water, and then do a second rinse of hot water.

Good point. I have seen a red welt start weeping blood immediately after a vinegar application to a manowar sting.

I always wear water shoes whenever I am in the ocean. I don't like to step on things be it rock, fish, crabs. I wouldn't worry about jellyfish. I have lived near the ocean my whole life and during the summers we are at the beach every weekend. I have only been stung once in my life. We are usually able to see them to avoid them. But if you Google it you can find out if the times you will be vacationing are peak times for jelly's.

I've seen this talked about, but never tried. Sounds like it may work?

http://www.amazon.com/Jellyfish-Squish-Sting-Treatment-Relief/dp/B001BJJVD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336769390&sr=8-1

Good Luck,

Hey guys...

I work in an ER. The last thing you should do is pee on your jellyfish stings. (this was made popular by FRIENDS I believe). There is too much water in your urine (hopefully you aren't THAT dehydrated or the sting isn't your biggest issue), and you will actually set them off to sting you more, as if you poured water on the sting.

Use your S&S card and scrape off the stingers, and vinegar is your BFF.

I was snorkeling in Cozumel in March and we saw a few in the water, but none of us got stung (thankfully). I sort of freak out and paddle backwards, but at least everyone is alerted of the beautiful danger.

Good luck

Archived