How much Turkish Lira do we need?

We're in Istanbul for 1 1/2 days and in Kusadasi for a day. I have no issues or extra costs getting the currency so I'd prefer some from home without relaying on an ATM. We've been to Ephesus before and just plan on hanging out at Kusadasi. I don't plan on buying a carpet ;). Is around $200 worth enough for the Istanbul sites and perhaps some lunch for two? And a beer or two in Kusadasi? I'm thinking for shopping Euros would be ok?

Thanks.

That will probably be enough. You can use extra to shop. We always find you get a better deal by using local currency. It costs merchants to exchange foreign money. When we were in the bazaar in Istanbul, the merchants always had a big smile when we said we had lira. There is lots of good shopping in Kusadasi as well.

We have done the same cruise twice now......@ 2 days in Istanbul and then Kusadasi the next day........

When we first get off the ship in Istanbul we get $200. in lira from the ATM. We use it for tram, fees to sights and small purchases (water, soda, small trinkets) in Istanbul. We put lunch and dinner on a credit card as well as shopping in places that would take them (most places do).

We did a private tour to Ephesus/Sirince but used the lira that was left over from Istanbul (not a whole lot) for small purchases again here.

We're in Istanbul for 1 1/2 days and in Kusadasi for a day. I have no issues or extra costs getting the currency so I'd prefer some from home without relaying on an ATM. We've been to Ephesus before and just plan on hanging out at Kusadasi. I don't plan on buying a carpet ;). Is around $200 worth enough for the Istanbul sites and perhaps some lunch for two? And a beer or two in Kusadasi? I'm thinking for shopping Euros would be ok?

Thanks.

Alot, if not most of the restaurants take credit cards. We were in Turkey last summer and they readily and wanted USD or euro rather than their own currency--we even took a taxi w/USD. We're going to be there the same amount of time that you are--I bought 100 Turkish lira for incidentals the trip this year. I think $200 in TL is alot---that will give you 330 TL (I just got 1.65 to the USD)....I'm sure you will have TL left over....No one else takes TL after Kusadasi.....(your last stop...)

We just got back from a cruise that included Istanbul; most things were priced in dollars and Euros as well as Lira, and the first two seemed to be preferred. You will get change back in Lira, though.

I probably wouldn't worry about getting Lira, after being there.

I got $50 worth last week which is probably what I'll stick with. Seeing as we can get our museum passes online, the rest will just be pocket change for cabs and trams. Nice I could get it all in 5 lira notes.

Do most of the major tourist attractions accept credit cards for the entrance fees if you purchase there (not online)?

Do most of the major tourist attractions accept credit cards for the entrance fees if you purchase there (not online)?

Not really sure, but I don't thnk so. All I've seen is posted in Turkish Lira. I bought 100 Lira for incidentals, taxi's and the like.....Taxi's would rather take USD or Euro......I'm sure we'll get rid of the TL in 3 days......

Not really sure, but I don't thnk so. All I've seen is posted in Turkish Lira. I bought 100 Lira for incidentals, taxi's and the like.....Taxi's would rather take USD or Euro......I'm sure we'll get rid of the TL in 3 days......

Thanks!

Unless things have changed since last November (we were there on our second visit) you must pay for entrance fees to sites with lira.

Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and Basilica Cistern are the ones we visited (again :roll eyes:) and paid in lira.

We also gave a small "donation" upon exiting the Blue Mosque - also in lira.

Archived