A few Cozumel questions

murph1031

After much searching Carnival excursions, I think we have decided what we will do, but I have a few questions. We are sailing on the Carnival Paradise on July 14th. I think we will rent a car, drive to San Gervasio, then stop at Hacienda Antigua, then judging by the map we found, we can head east and follow the road all the way down the island, stopping at the lighthouse on the south tip of the Island, then heading back north arriving back to the point we left from. The map only shows one road, and it looks like it covers the entire coast line of the island, except for the northern part, which is marked as rural roads. So here comes my questions.

Can you recommend a company to rent our vehicle from, thinking we will do a Jeep.

Insurance, would you recommend taking out the max insurance?

Any other vehicle renting tips would be great.

It is a pretty easy drive around the island?

Would you take the rural roads to the lighthouse on the northern part of the island, or is just not worth doing?

We will have our two sons with us, 17 and 15, would they enjoy Hacienda Antigua, and about how long would this part of the trip take?

We saw on the map a restaurant on the east side of the island called "Coconuts" anyone been there? is it good, thinking it would be near lunch time around the time we hit this part, or would we be better to wait until later down the road, and if so, please feel free to offer suggestions.

While driving around the island, is it safe to stop and beaches along the way? Is there any signs we need to be aware of? Can't speak a lick of Spanish.

We are thinking if we leave the boat around 9am, and do the ruins, tequila, continue around the island, stop for lunch somewhere , make a few sightseeing stops, we should be back in downtown around 5pm, is this realist or will it be shorter. We want to have some time to shop downtown before heading back onto the boat around 7pm, we have late dining.

I know this is a lot of questions, hopefully you guys can help. We are not really into lying on the beach all day, hence the reason we're not interested in doing Mr. sanches or Paradise beach. We have been told by a friend to stop at the money bar? would this be to late in the day for a luch stop?

This is our first time in Cozumel, so we would like to see the island, on our first cruise last year we did the walking tour in Nassau, and really enjoyed it, my plan above looks like a similar experience, what you think?

NOot sure how much $$ it costs to rent a car but have you considered hiring a driver for the day? We are doing this from Tours Plaza since they got such great reviews here. It is $95 for 3 hours for a station wagon and (I think) $150 for a van for 3 hours (total, not per person) We wanted to see the island and wanted to go at our own pace and didn't want to have to worry about driving ourselves. Check out the thread about hiring a driver for lots of info. Sorry I can't answer any other questions, Dec will be our 1st time in Coz.

I agree about Hiring a Driver. We recently canceled our car reservation and decided to do this. But if you are still wanting a car we used ACE at Puerta Maya pier and booked online. No deposit needed. Our car was going to run about $25 then we'd have taken another $40 or so in insurance.

Thanks for the replies, I think I would rather drive myself, that way we can go at our own pace. OKO thanks for heads up, pretty sure we will puchase extra insurance. Would it be worth my while taking our GPS to use while driving? or is the island so small its really not needed?

Thanks Again

Murph

Thanks for the replies, I think I would rather drive myself, that way we can go at our own pace. OKO thanks for heads up, pretty sure we will puchase extra insurance. Would it be worth my while taking our GPS to use while driving? or is the island so small its really not needed?

Thanks Again

Murph

I think it would be rather hard to get lost on the small island

You should have no problem's with navigation. But, I edited my first post so you might go back and check out the link...my first recollections were fuzzy.

Anyway, thousands of people rent cars and Jeeps in Coz each year and have a great time, you should too!

Pete

Coconuts sits on the highest spot on the island - great views from there, so definitely worth a stop. There are several places on that side of the island to have a great lunch with a fantastic view.

Here is the link to the pictures from our Cozumel Bar Hop Tour in 2010, which made stops at five place on the east side of the island.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579323016QJDgqa

If you rent a car/Jeep, you should most definitely take out the extra insurance coverage, and even then, that might not be enough! Might want to read this:

http://www.wadeburleson.org/2011/03/saved-from-hell-in-jail-cell-at-cozumel.html

Pete

Not that I was planning on it, but after reading that I would never rent a car in Mexico!! :eek:

After much searching Carnival excursions, I think we have decided what we will do, but I have a few questions. We are sailing on the Carnival Paradise on July 14th. I think we will rent a car, drive to San Gervasio, then stop at Hacienda Antigua, then judging by the map we found, we can head east and follow the road all the way down the island, stopping at the lighthouse on the south tip of the Island, then heading back north arriving back to the point we left from. The map only shows one road, and it looks like it covers the entire coast line of the island, except for the northern part, which is marked as rural roads. So here comes my questions.

Not a bad plan. I don't think you can access the road tot he northern lighthouse in a car and may need permission or an ATV to do so.

Can you recommend a company to rent our vehicle from, thinking we will do a Jeep.

I think Alamo is downtown. Thrifty as well. Check on line and reserve.

Insurance, would you recommend taking out the max insurance? YES!

Any other vehicle renting tips would be great.

It is a pretty easy drive around the island? Yes! Biggest problem is San Miguel and once you see the map of the town, it's pretty easy to navigate. Do be advised that when coming back up the Western side, the beaches are off on the "old" road, not the newer road.

Would you take the rural roads to the lighthouse on the northern part of the island, or is just not worth doing? See my answer above. It'll take a lot out of your time if you do.

We will have our two sons with us, 17 and 15, would they enjoy Hacienda Antigua, and about how long would this part of the trip take? Tour takes anywhere from 30- 45 minutes. It's mostly exhibits on how tequila is made and a store where you can buy the Hacienda brand of tequila. But the owner/guide can be a real hoot. PRobably not that exciting for teens unless you allow them a taste

We saw on the map a restaurant on the east side of the island called "Coconuts" anyone been there? is it good, thinking it would be near lunch time around the time we hit this part, or would we be better to wait until later down the road, and if so, please feel free to offer suggestions.

Coconuts is indeed the highest point on the island, but it's primarily a bar with the various, shall we say, more adult-oriented, accoutrements hanging from the walls and rafters. Better food is just down the road at Chen Rio (only beach allowing swimming on the East side) and Playa Bonita. Both excellent in sea food dishes and on the beach, not above it.

While driving around the island, is it safe to stop and beaches along the way? Is there any signs we need to be aware of? Can't speak a lick of Spanish.

You can pull over on the shoulders.

We are thinking if we leave the boat around 9am, and do the ruins, tequila, continue around the island, stop for lunch somewhere , make a few sightseeing stops, we should be back in downtown around 5pm, is this realist or will it be shorter. We want to have some time to shop downtown before heading back onto the boat around 7pm, we have late dining.

This is reasonable. How long are you in Cozumel? Just keep you watches on ship time. You need to be back on board usually 1/2 hour-1 hour before sail away time.

I know this is a lot of questions, hopefully you guys can help. We are not really into lying on the beach all day, hence the reason we're not interested in doing Mr. sanches or Paradise beach. We have been told by a friend to stop at the money bar? would this be to late in the day for a luch stop?

Depending in how long you are at the ruins, the tequila factory, lunch and other stops (you'll also want to hit the south lighthouse--extra entrance fee--and the eco park where you can see gators and climb the lighthouse stairs).

and whether or not you want to spend a lot of time shopping in San Miguel, you might be able to stop at the Money Bar to snorkel.

We rented a Jeep a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the freedom of just running around on our own. A couple of things though, yes take out all the ins. you can, you'll probably have to get some gas, so remember, fuel is sold in liters and wiil be sold in pesos....i was really confused and may have paid to much. I think we rented from Hertz and they told us to make sure the fuel attendant replaces the gas cap....a common scam is not to relace the cap, Hertz will charge you for the cap when you return the rental and at the end of the week the fuel atendant will sell all the caps back to Hertz!!! I was also told that regardless of insurance, if you get in an accident, you can expect to go the police station to have it all sorted out. All that being said, drive carefully, don't drink too much and you'll have a great time. I think the total for the Jeep and ins, taxes etc. was below $100.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Coconuts sits on the highest spot on the island - great views from there, so definitely worth a stop. There are several places on that side of the island to have a great lunch with a fantastic view.

Here is the link to the pictures from our Cozumel Bar Hop Tour in 2010, which made stops at five place on the east side of the island.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579323016QJDgqa

Great pix! Thanks for sharing them.

Question, you had a pic of the Coconuts menu. The most expensive item on the menu was $2.00? Just curious about that.

Also, did not look like anyone did any swimming - not real swimming beaches I would imagine?

I usually hire a driver myself, but you should have no problem renting a vehicle and easily navigating the island. San Miguel can be a little tricky, traffic and parking wise, but not awful. Get the full insurance! No joke. You'll be glad you did if there is an accident.

Coconuts is a lot of fun, but as was mentioned earlier, it does have a more "adult" vibe. I enjoyed Mezcalitos and Señor Iguanas. Either might be a good choice.

Yes, you can pull over and visit the various stretches of beachfront. Don't forget to stop at El Mirador for a photo op!

I'd go ahead and skip Money Bar, unless you plan to do some snorkeling. It sounds like you've already got a pretty full day planned. Maybe use some of that time to get a little shopping done in town before heading back to the ship?

Remember to allow time to gas up the car before you return it (some friends of mine left it late, and made the "run of shame" back to the ship with about 7-8 minutes to spare).

Above all, have fun in Cozumel! It is one of my favorite destinations. :D

Archived