Sydney Tours?

We are going to be in Sydney for a three-day prestay in February and plan to use Mount n Beach for a full-day tour to the Blue Mountains. Here's their website http://www.mountnbeach.com.au/. They offer two different tours to the Blue Mountains and several others that may interest you. There are lots of things to do in Sydney. Look into a guided tour of the Opera House, a walk through the Botanic Gardens, climb the bridge, take a harbor cruise, spend a day on the on/off bus . . . You can search Australia on the CC board for more ideas.

Is it possible to do a tour of the Blue Mountains for less than $98 per person. Wow if we are planning on being there for 14 or more days and it costs that much for the tours, we better forget it.

I have heard there is a Blue MOuntain trip where you take a boat up and then take a bus back. Has anyone heard who does this trip and is it worthwhile or is it better to 4 wheel it? david:cool:

http://www.activitytours.com.au/They have a tour that returns to Sydney via the catamaran-hulled ferry operated between Parramatta and Circular Quay (photo on the website). I took this ferry ride round trip in 1994; it is scenic and gives you a look at a part of Sydney and some harborside neighborhoods you wouldn't otherwise see. The only drawback is that the ferry moves very slowly at times to avoid disturbing environmentally sensitive banks of the Parramatta River.

Travelax.... There are a couple of tours that take you on the River Cat on the Parramatta river for part of the journey. Parramatta is less than half way to Katoomba (the town with the Three Sisters and Scenic Skyway etc), it is a nice trip but you could do that one day seperately on your own (River Cats are located where the ferries are at Circular Quay).

To get the most out of a day to the Blue Mountains would be to take the train from Central Station (country link) and go directly to Katoomba, about a two hour journey each way. Once there take the hop on/off double decker bus which will do a loop of all the popular tourist attractions.

Tours are nice and there will be someone to talk to you about the different areas your going to but they can be expensive for spending a lot of your day on a bus. Some of these tours spend a lot of time stopping at other areas on the way and often you don't get a lot of time once you finally get to Katoomba. Just depends how independant you want to be as to which you choose.

A good website for touring/sightseeing in Sydney is Fodors, lots of tips about places to see, eats, shopping etc in and around the Sydney area, and of course you can ask questions there too.

Kim

Kim,

Thanks for the info, I will check on the train. Liked your pictures on the Princess cruise, Australia/ New Zealand. We are taking that cruise in Feb,2006.

Did many people do the overland trip to Queenstown. Was thinking of doing it but is it worth it? Any other suggestions re excursions off the ship especially independent from the ship excursions would be greatly appreciated. We are spending 4 extra days after we disembark in Auckland.

Dave

Past cruises

8/04 Tahitian Princess

8/03 Grand Princess

7/98 Vision of the Sea RCCL Medit.

Another CCer went on the overland Queenstown excursion and he thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think there were too many people, less than 50 I think, who did it as it is quite expensive. I really can't comment any further on whether it's worth the money or not since we didn't actually do this side trip.

We really like Larnach Castle in Dunedin and many who did the train trip or the penquins/albatross tours said they was worth it too. Seems Dunedin has a lot of worthwhile tours.

I would definately recommend some sort of tour in Hobart, we stayed in the city area and found it to be not terribly interesting (Bonorong Wildlife Park, Huon Valley or Port Arthur would be good choices) . In Melbourne we also stayed in the city but there was plenty to see and do, the Rialto Towers is a must for great views.

Christchurch we went to the Antarctic Centre and loved it, the Hagglund ride was a lot of fun. In Tauranga we went to Rotorua to a thermal village and to Hell's Gate, enjoyed both but felt Hell's Gate was quite expensive but fun for doing it once (this was for the full mud bath experience).

Auckland has plenty to offer, our day for touring was a bit ruined by heavy rain for most of the day. The black sand beaches are a sight and I loved the aquarium. We also did the Skytower but it freaked me out a bit so I didn't stay long, I sat outside and watched people doing the bungy jump down the outside. There are a few islands for day visits off Auckland or just chartering a yacht for the day would also be worthwhile.

Hope this helps a little,

Kim

Kim,

Thanks for the info, I will check on the train. Liked your pictures on the Princess cruise, Australia/ New Zealand. We are taking that cruise in Feb,2006.

Did many people do the overland trip to Queenstown. Was thinking of doing it but is it worth it? Any other suggestions re excursions off the ship especially independent from the ship excursions would be greatly appreciated. We are spending 4 extra days after we disembark in Auckland.

Dave

Past cruises

8/04 Tahitian Princess

8/03 Grand Princess

7/98 Vision of the Sea RCCL Medit.

Great to hear you are coming to NZ, theres lots to do in all your ports of call. If you are looking at good value then try and find a local tour operator who will be able to give you a good deal, especially if you team up with a few others on board to shares costs [and fun]. Many ports allow them on the wharf or if not close by outside. You should contact the local information office of each port town/city who will be able to give you a list of operators. We can suggest some excursion ideas if you advise which ports of call you are coming through.

The 4 days in Auckland will give you opportunity to not only see the city but also further affield to areas not covered by your shore stops. Would recommend the Coromandel peninsular, a 3 hour drive from Auckland [if you do a hire car]. There is a real nice atmosphere to this area and great seascapes and mountain scenery. Hot water beach is a must [take your spade], Goldmine railways, tramping, sae activities etc.

From Auckland get out to the islands in the Gulf, Rangitoto [our most recent volcanic island only 600 years old] for a walk to the summit. Waiheki Island for wineries etc. Try racing an Americas cup yatch, a harbour cruise. Head south to the Glow worm caves of Waitomo, . Again the info sites of Auckland have a heap of stuff to do on their web sites.

we can be more specific/detailed about our home town of Tauranga if your ship stops here. Let us know if you need more specific info.

Ian,

Thanks for the all the info. I am printing it as we speak. Yes we do stop at Tauranga. Was wondering if I should go to Roturoa(please excuse the spelling) as a tour from there, or use one of the days from Auckland and do the Waitomo cave and Roturoa from there.

David

Ian,

Thanks for the all the info. I am printing it as we speak. Yes we do stop at Tauranga. Was wondering if I should go to Roturoa(please excuse the spelling) as a tour from there, or use one of the days from Auckland and do the Waitomo cave and Roturoa from there.

David

Hi david. Both Rotorua and Waitomo are possible from either Auckland or Tauranga. Rotorua is easier from Tauranga though, being just 60 minutes [2 hours minimum from Auckland] so would suggest that would be the best option. Depending upon your time in port [which day are you here] you could in fact cram Waitomo and Rotorua into a day tour from Tauranga, leaving you chance to see Auckland while there.

The cruise ship offers tour [though often expensive when compared to local operators] for both destinations, but you would be part of a very large group. If you prefer smaller intimate groups then team up with other CC'ers on board [or just other passengers ] and get a small group together to get the best value. The private tour operators normally offer 4 pax in cars up to 6, 8 or 10 pax in mini-buses.

To do both tours in a day, Waitomo is a very pleasant 2 hour drive throughh the central north island, allow about 2 hours there, then another 2 hours back to Rotorua, 2 or 3 hours should see the main geo-thermal sights and then an hour back to the ship in tauranga. This is full on day so you may want to just do one.

If you need any more specific info then let us klnow. There are some specific threads on the Ports of Call,[ NZ & Australia] forums where you may get more info and contact with other CC'sers. Regards [excuse my typing, i just bash it in so you will find a few unintentional typos]

We will arrive in Sydney 3-4 day before the cruisetour begins. I am interested in a Blue Mountain Tour and any other suggestions for day tours from Sydney

I recommend one of the Blue Mountain Tours, But other than that, why are you looking to run away from Sydney? There's plenty to do there for a few days, unless you really hate cities.

Jane

• 2 months later...

We took the hop on and off bus in Sydney. It was an easy and comfortable way to see the city. You catch the bus down by the wharf. We also took a Blue Mountain tour through a private company. Unfortunately, the day we went it rained and it was so foggy we couldn't see a thing. The whole day was wasted. The only fun part was the Featherdale animal park.

Archived