Cruiseline Staff

I can't believe people are that rude. We have been lucky and haven't had to avail ourselves of the services of the front desk very often but when we do I always say thank you even if the problem has not been resolved to my satisfaction.

All I can say is you are of many people that I think is pretty rare to come by these days...:D

As someone who has worked with the public in one form or another for over 25 years, I can honestly say I appreciate how difficult your job must be. Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Thanks for the kind words. It surely is very hard to please people and especially people who are on vacation.

Hello Cruisestar, of course I welcome you to the board too and I hope you are having a great holiday.

As someone that works with the public as well "what has been the most ludricous question/issue you had to deal with"?

On my last ship, we actually had two female passengers travelling together. To make a long story short, they had a quarrel and we had to find a separate stateroom for them. Luckily, we had an inside stateroom vacant to which one of them gladly accepts.

Right after the move was done, one of the ladies mentioned that one of her bags was missing. In her bag was a supposedly $700 dress that she bought for her cruise and her bag was an expensive bag that was also bought for her trip. She informed us that she remembered that she brought it on board the ship.

For that, she blamed the ship for losing her bag and would want a $1000 of on board credit. ( The cost of her dress and her bag ). No way will the ship apply such a huge amount as OBC. She was however given a $150 OBC for the inconvenience as a good will gesture.

Emails went back and forth with the port agent who suggested to call the hotel they stayed at and see if any luggage did not get picked up. So off I went investigating this issue and finally got an email back from the hotel who confirmed that the bags was left in the hotel and never got put on the transfer to the ship. They said that they will have it brought to the pier for us to forward it via Fedex to the passenger.

When the bag arrived on the ship, my senior purser handed me a bag. I was like...what/whose bag is this. She was like...the $1000 passenger. Looking at the bag I can confirm that it is not a $300 bag. More like move the decimal place twice to the left and you will get the value. Being inquisitive, I opened up the bag to look for a $700 dress. ( who puts a dress that expensive in a duffel bag)

Lets just say that the dress was probably bought at some thrift store back in the 90's (sorry ladies). We emailed the passenger to let her know that her back was found in the hotel's lost and found with her name on a luggage tag. We sent her a pic of the bag and dress and low and behold, denied that was her bag stating that someone must have switched the bag. All I can say is that the bag was turned into corporate lost and found where the "rightful" owner hopefully will call and claim their bag.

Thanks for the response Cruise staff, but I will keep calling you cruise star:D as to me you are.

That is indeed ludricrous, but how great that you found the bag and could show her up:p:p

What is really annoying with those kind of people is the amount of time you have to spend on them with no thank you in the end and always with some financial loss.

Cruise Staff -- one topic I was wondering if you could address is what problems are best solved by Guest Relations, and which are better addressed elsewhere -- initially, at least. Keeping in mind, of course, that your cruise line may do things differently than others. :cool:

For instance on both RC & X, we have found that problems in the dining room can usually be resolved by the Maitre-d. Any serious issues in our cabin, from steward service to maintenance and laundry problems can usually be taken care of by the Housekeeping Supervisor. Any questions regarding loyalty program perks are directed to the Loyalty Ambassador/Hostess. Pretty much anything else will send us to the Guest Services Desk -- where we've always gotten satisfactory resuts. :)

Hey all CC members. Just thought I'd share with all of you that I am leaving for my next contract. Vacation over for me. Contract will be ending Nov 27th. Will post from time to time.

Of to the Baltics and ending up in the Caribbean. Will probably meet some CC members on the ship.

End of vacation for me is the beginning of vacation for most of you. ( if that sentence makes sense...lol )

Hey all CC members. Just thought I'd share with all of you that I am leaving for my next contract. Vacation over for me. Contract will be ending Nov 27th. Will post from time to time.

Of to the Baltics and ending up in the Caribbean. Will probably meet some CC members on the ship.

End of vacation for me is the beginning of vacation for most of you. ( if that sentence makes sense...lol )

Hope you have had a great vacation.

Hope to see you on a ship some day.

Thanks for sharing with us, Cruise Staff. It has been greatly appreciated.

Have a great contract and we'll look forward to you coming back when you have the time.

Fair winds and a following sea....

Happy Landings.

• 7 months later...

Hello to all my cruise critic members. Just wanted to say that I am back from my contract and had a blast. Could not believe how fast time flies. Did Baltics, Transatlantic, Canada and New England and the Caribbean. Now I am back for a bit then off for a World Cruise for my next contract.

If you have more questions for me, just post and I will be happy to reply. Sorry to any members who have asked me questions but have no time to reply.

Howdy, welcome back! ;)

I'm curious if you can tell me if the Guest Relations Desk staff have any input on who is recommended as guests to the Captain's/Executive Staff Table Dinners or Behind the Scenes Tours, like the Bridge Tour? What's the best way to ask to be considered for one of these events?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Howdy, welcome back! ;)

I'm curious if you can tell me if the Guest Relations Desk staff have any input on who is recommended as guests to the Captain's/Executive Staff Table Dinners or Behind the Scenes Tours, like the Bridge Tour? What's the best way to ask to be considered for one of these events?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Most of the time, it really depends. I haven't seen any passengers being referred to the captains table. Usually it's the loyalty hostess that does it.

You need to usually sign up for bridge tours but there will be cost involve. With that comes some goodies like bathrobe and stuff.

Sometimes it's better to write to the captain for a bridge tour and usually it's their discretion to approve the tour.

I work in a luxury hotel and know what the Front Desk staff here goes through so I can only imagine what it's like on a cruise ship. It's a job I could never do. The stories they tell about the unreasonable demands. It's hard enough for me and I'm a Convention Manager.

I will sailing for the first time in 30 years this August to Alaska and will be anxious to see things from a "guest" perspective.

Keep us posted on your travels and your stories.

Hello to all my cruise critic members. Just wanted to say that I am back from my contract and had a blast. Could not believe how fast time flies. Did Baltics, Transatlantic, Canada and New England and the Caribbean. Now I am back for a bit then off for a World Cruise for my next contract.

If you have more questions for me, just post and I will be happy to reply. Sorry to any members who have asked me questions but have no time to reply.

Welcome Back.

Happy you had a good contract and are now having what I am sure is a well earned vacation.

It's generous of ou to share your knowledge with us. Appreciate it. :)

Wonder if you could share about 'cutting crew counts'. Is it just our unofficial observation but are all the mass market cruise lines really making crew cuts as deeply as it seems?

Thanks you if you think you can help us out about that.

Archived