Total cruise Cost

usaspire

:eek: Ouch

Facebook is a good option. I just bought Stock, so please visit often. :rolleyes:

We're off to Alaska in two days. :) I don't know how much $$$ we'll spend, but I'm sure it will be worth every penny.

How much one spends varies depends on taste, geography etc.

Flights not much you can do there beyond planning early and securing best fares.

Cabins, you could be going inside or have a suite. Some claim that you got to have views. I personally like the free views from up top and public viewing areas.

Excursions, this is where I never restrict spending and spent almost 500/person in one port and easily 100+/person in the other ports. It is those memories that I carry forward and remember fondly, not the drinks, photos, t-shirts etc., or my cabin.

If I included a airfare that sound neither too much or too little, goldilocks just right :D

Hi,

So my husband and I are taking a cruise in June. I was doing the math today and so far we have already spend $3400...this includes the curise itself, flight and couple of excursions.

I am guessing we will be booking couple of more smaller excursion. But, in total looks like we will be spending about 4k.

Does this seem right? I feel like we are over spending.

How much has it cost you in the past?

I'm assuming the posts were directed to, among a few others, me...

I was going to ignore them, but obviously changed my mind. I check this site nearly daily, frequently more often. I become familiar with many of the posters due to the time they spend on here, and watch them grow from wary newbies (both to the "forum community" and to the state of Alaska). I'm familiar with others because they spend just as much, or even more time than me; they truly love this place, whether they are residents or frequent travelers here, and also want to help visitors have a wonderful time. I spend time looking up facts to make sure any info I give is accurate, and not just a hazy recollection. I think I have helped at least a few people have a better trip. I get nothing out of this except the satisfaction of helping people enjoy the area in which I live. Rarely is there even a thank you. If I (and the others who you would admonish to stay on topic) am not deserving of the occasional aside comment, then one of us is in the wrong "community".

Don't personalize my comments. I simply pointed out that the thread had drifted off into "other vacations" and not what the OP had asked about. I too enjoy the "community", but a post about "Total Cruise Cost" on the Alaska Boards probably should be about that topic. If folks want to talk about their multi continental vacations, none of which include Alaska, then they should start a thread on that particular topic on the appropriate board. Enjoy whatever you do. :)

I've never been more happy to spend that kind of money.

There is someone on the cruise critics boards who's signature is followed by "Spending my children's inheritance one cruise at a time." We are leaving on back-to-back cruises to Alaska, May 25. So I guess I'm doing it 2 at a time.;)

We are around 9K for the 3 of us, Myself, daughter and grandson.

Have fun you can always worry about the money later!

I'm assuming the posts were directed to, among a few others, me...

I was going to ignore them, but obviously changed my mind. I check this site nearly daily, frequently more often. I become familiar with many of the posters due to the time they spend on here, and watch them grow from wary newbies (both to the "forum community" and to the state of Alaska). I'm familiar with others because they spend just as much, or even more time than me; they truly love this place, whether they are residents or frequent travelers here, and also want to help visitors have a wonderful time. I spend time looking up facts to make sure any info I give is accurate, and not just a hazy recollection. I think I have helped at least a few people have a better trip. I get nothing out of this except the satisfaction of helping people enjoy the area in which I live. Rarely is there even a thank you. If I (and the others who you would admonish to stay on topic) am not deserving of the occasional aside comment, then one of us is in the wrong "community".

You're not in the wrong community. Keep up the good work. :)

hi,

so my husband and i are taking a cruise in june. I was doing the math today and so far we have already spend $3400...this includes the curise itself, flight and couple of excursions.

I am guessing we will be booking couple of more smaller excursion. But, in total looks like we will be spending about 4k.

Does this seem right? I feel like we are over spending.

How much has it cost you in the past?

yep!:(

I refuse to total it all up:eek:... we are going all out with our upcoming Alaskan cruise. :o

This is my philosophy as well. Well okay, I added some of it up and yes it is expensive, but it is ALASKA and this will be a once in a lifetime trip. Figured out yesterday we had some open time at Denali Lodge, so booked a Flightseeing tour with Glacier landing. Go big or go home......

This is my philosophy as well. Well okay, I added some of it up and yes it is expensive, but it is ALASKA and this will be a once in a lifetime trip. Figured out yesterday we had some open time at Denali Lodge, so booked a Flightseeing tour with Glacier landing. Go big or go home......

Add me to that list! I am only planning on doing Alaska once . . . as of now. I'm going to do ALL the things I want to do, helicopter rides, flightseeing, etc. I thought our "swim with the dolphins" was expensive in Cozumel until I saw the prices on these excursions. The cruise alone (not booked yet, but . . . ) will most likely be around $7K bc we need two cabins (one balcony, one interior). Then airfare from the Washington DC area . . . yeah, I don't want to add it up either. That's why I'm planning it two years out!

;)

I get nothing out of this except the satisfaction of helping people enjoy the area in which I live. Rarely is there even a thank you. If I (and the others who you would admonish to stay on topic) am not deserving of the occasional aside comment, then one of us is in the wrong "community".

As I have been on this forum longer and longer I notice a lot more chiding of people. It is starting to get old, and I don't like it.

I, too, post to help people. Back in the day, I was a teacher and do enjoy informing people when I can. Although a thank you would be nice, I simply wish people would come back with a follow up post. I get annoyed when someone makes a post, many take the time to offer suggestions and then the OP never comes back to tell us what they decided. That is my pet peeve.

Now I will sit back and wait to be chided for not staying on topic.;)

Hi everyone,

A serious THANK YOU to all who have posted and commented on this thread. I started this and really was not expecting such a huge response. I am ok with whatever direction this thread take as long as it does not "offend" anyone.

This is the first trip my husband and I are taking EVER besides our honeymoon. And, we are both only 29years old so of course we have to set a limit. I guess my question was if 4k seems too much but, after seeing what everyone else is spending 4k sounds like a deal :)

We're booked on a 7 days with a ocean view room. The big excursions we booked is a glacier helicopter ride and the zipline in Juneau. The others are small expenses like car renting in Skagway, and tour buses in victoria. I won't be counting the expense of my clothes and shoes. I explained to my husband that the shoes and clothes is something I will be using forever (yeah right!)

Again, this is the most helpful forum I have ever joined and participated. I thank everyone who have helped out the newbie's, the confused and simply non-planners like me.

We're cruising on Princess in August with friends and I expect this trip will cost us about $10k. I'm concerned that because we're traveling w/friends we will spend more on excursions, etc. than we would normally would, however the trip and the memories we'll share will be priceless. Our next cruise will be in the winter, to someplace warm with cheaper airfare!

It would seem we're on the expensive side of things...LOL...our cruise alone costs a little over $6K for just the 2 of us. We have a room with a balcony, and have booked 2 excursions in each of the 4 ports. We're also planning on eating lunch in each port, to enjoy local food and not waste time getting back on the ship. This is our honeymoon :) and we're coming from so far away and flights are a fortune nowadays, so it just seems silly to me not to do everything we want to do. Who knows what the future will bring...I don't want to miss anything because of "well, next time" which might never come. So, for instance, we're doing a whale watch in 2 ports, since whales are a big deal for us, so we want to double our chances :) when are we going to get that opportunity again?? Plus, we don't drink or smoke and we're not big on shopping, so we save a lot of money there.

I haven't calculated how much our week DIY before the cruise adds up to. Scary!! LOL hotels + railroad + food + activities...but as others have said - the experience and memories are priceless! Alaska has been my dream destination forever and I actually get to go!! Woohoo!

Side note - when I was traveling in Vietnam 6 years ago there was a really cool excursion I really wanted to do, but my friends didn't want to spend the money. I still regret not having that experience...

It took some doing but I have a baseline total for our trip:

$5884

That is for 2 adults & a 3.5 year old child & includes transportation to our round trip local airport, flights, some meals, 2 hotel stays, round trip Amtrak tickets, round trip Glacier Bay cruise (gratuities, drink cards, unlimited laundry service), Tracey Arm excursion, Skagway to Yukon excursion, Mendenhall & Mt. Roberts in Juneau, Totem Bight in Ketchikan, Vancouver Aquarium, pet boarding for 2 cats, 3 travel books, small child entertainment for on two 5 hour flights, & some clothing.

Does not include all non-ship meals nor does it include any suvenirs or gifts & we are still deciding if/what we will do in Seattle before heading to the airport for our red-eye flight home.

After reading some other totals for just 2 adults, I am pretty pleased with our numbers. Not overboard, but not rock bottom either.

The best part is that my little cruiser is super excited - 2 more weeks until he gets to ride in an airplane, on a train, & a big boat!

;)

As I have been on this forum longer and longer I notice a lot more chiding of people. It is starting to get old, and I don't like it.

I, too, post to help people. Back in the day, I was a teacher and do enjoy informing people when I can. Although a thank you would be nice, I simply wish people would come back with a follow up post. I get annoyed when someone makes a post, many take the time to offer suggestions and then the OP never comes back to tell us what they decided. That is my pet peeve.

Now I will sit back and wait to be chided for not staying on topic.;)

Even if the OP doesn't come back (they have in this case) it doesn't mean they didn't read the responses and also a lot of others may get helped by your advice just by coming along and reading the thread. As a teacher you wouldn't get a lot of immediate feedback but can look back and realize how important your influence was even if only a few actually clicked with you and you gave them that "aaha" moment. :)

Even if the OP doesn't come back (they have in this case) it doesn't mean they didn't read the responses and also a lot of others may get helped by your advice just by coming along and reading the thread. As a teacher you wouldn't get a lot of immediate feedback but can look back and realize how important your influence was even if only a few actually clicked with you and you gave them that "aaha" moment. :)

Good points, but as a teacher and parent, I have always stressed the importance of saying 'thank you.' Just a personal thing with me. Plus on these forums we are no longer dealing with children, but, for the most part, with adults, whom you think would know the importance of coming back and offering their thanks and sharing what they decided to do. Now, if this really upset me, I wouldn't bother posting any longer. I am just saying, it would be nice if people came back.

Good points, but as a teacher and parent, I have always stressed the importance of saying 'thank you.' Just a personal thing with me. Plus on these forums we are no longer dealing with children, but, for the most part, with adults, whom you think would know the importance of coming back and offering their thanks and sharing what they decided to do. Now, if this really upset me, I wouldn't bother posting any longer. I am just saying, it would be nice if people came back.

And as a teacher, we actually got feedback 100s of time a day...facial expressions, comments from students, parents, other staff...

When I said a "thank you" once in a while would be welcome, I actually was thinking just feedback...doesn't even need to be thank you.

We're cruising on Princess in August with friends and I expect this trip will cost us about $10k. I'm concerned that because we're traveling w/friends we will spend more on excursions, etc. than we would normally would, however the trip and the memories we'll share will be priceless. Our next cruise will be in the winter, to someplace warm with cheaper airfare!

Just because you are travelling with friends DOES NOT mean that all of you are attached at the hip & must do every excursion together ALL THE TIME! You can opt out & do something else. If at Ketchikan someone wants to go out on the Deadliest Catch boat & someone else wants to visit Totem Bight park, that's OK. There's no reason to feel pressured to spend money on something you don't want.

Then, later when you meet up again at dinner, you'll have interesting stories to tell each other about your days. John & I travel with cruise friends all the time - everyone does their own thing during the day but we all have dinner together.

I have cruised 27 times, including one transatlantic, 2 Hawaii, 2 Panama Canal, and various Caribbean, Mexican Pacific and Mexican Caribbean. I have always wanted to do Alaska. I just booked Norwegian but have never cruised them before. I need HELP with a cruiseline for Alaska. We are 63 and 67 and this cruise, we are NOT interested in anything but seeing Alaska and having decent meals and good service. We enjoy inside because it is dark and quiet. But, we also do balconies, too, especially since my husband is a smoker. We did HAL about 6 years ago and thought it was too slow and quiet, but we have aged and are ready for that. Do you think HAL is the best for Alaska? Carnival did great with the Hawaiian cruises. RCL was wonderful in the Transatlantic. We enjoyed Princess last Fall, our first. Anyone got some input? I am not too crazy about doing Norwegian, but it sounded very good when their excellent salesperson called my home!

:rolleyes:

I have cruised 27 times, including one transatlantic, 2 Hawaii, 2 Panama Canal, and various Caribbean, Mexican Pacific and Mexican Caribbean. I have always wanted to do Alaska. I just booked Norwegian but have never cruised them before. I need HELP with a cruiseline for Alaska. We are 63 and 67 and this cruise, we are NOT interested in anything but seeing Alaska and having decent meals and good service. We enjoy inside because it is dark and quiet. But, we also do balconies, too, especially since my husband is a smoker. We did HAL about 6 years ago and thought it was too slow and quiet, but we have aged and are ready for that. Do you think HAL is the best for Alaska? Carnival did great with the Hawaiian cruises. RCL was wonderful in the Transatlantic. We enjoyed Princess last Fall, our first. Anyone got some input? I am not too crazy about doing Norwegian, but it sounded very good when their excellent salesperson called my home!

I made a list of what was important to us & fit within our range of needs - we ended up choosing HAL (Volendam) without reservation & I haven't had a moments reservation (we sail in just under 2 weeks - so in 3-4 weeks I may be singing a differnt tune;)) especially when I hear about other peoples choices. (We have never sailed on HAL & chose them over any perks that returning cruisers get - we in our early 40's & are sailing with out 3.5 year old son.)

Back up- you claim your only priority is "seeing" Alaska. You need to find out what it involves before you get into a NCL or HAL selection. :) What route do you want? If it is this year, the NCL choice is the least scenic route. Are you considering adding another week for mainland Alaska touring? That is a "top" "seeing Alaska" choice to consider.

One factor, you maybe need to be less concerned about is the "too slow and quiet" comment. Your bulk of experience is sailing the Caribbean- completely different than sailing Alaska- if Alaska is the priority which you state is. "Quiet" goes along with all the cruiselines sailing, from HAL to Carnival, similar ship experiences and activities, along with same demographics. I find food and service very similar on all the major cruiselines.

So, perhaps- start by finding out about each of the Alaska inside passage ports, there are only 6 of time. Look over the shore excursion lists for activities that can occupy your time, find out about the various scenic glacier differences, and see what is your most interest. Look at route, time in ports. Make these decisions first, then you will come up with a very manageable list to select from. Good luck.

Don't personalize my comments. I simply pointed out that the thread had drifted off into "other vacations" and not what the OP had asked about. I too enjoy the "community", but a post about "Total Cruise Cost" on the Alaska Boards probably should be about that topic. If folks want to talk about their multi continental vacations, none of which include Alaska, then they should start a thread on that particular topic on the appropriate board. Enjoy whatever you do. :)

Basically, you are off topic too.... I've enjoyed reading all comments and I feel it has been helpful and I thank all who have responded in the ways they did, it helps some to become more comfortable with the community and may answer other questions they may have without going to another forum... and as I'm off topic.... I'm over $10K for 2 people and wish my husband would read this thread... so we both could feel better about planning the trip of our lifetime and enjoying every minute no matter how much it the cost!!! Thanks everyone!

When doing my own research and planning for our upcoming cruise and land tour of Alaska, I discovered there is no one right way to see and do such a trip.

After reading this thread (and other ones that are similar) it is clear that there is huge range to the total cost of a cruise to Alaska. As several posters have pointed out, a trip to Alaska can be done very frugally, but others have shown that is can also be costly. IMHO, when planning a trip to Alaska (or anywhere else for that matter), it is best to do a bit of research and figure out what your options are, what you want to do, get a ballpark idea of what each thing will cost, and determine what your budget is.

For us, this trip is to celebrate our 25th Anniversary, so we weren't looking to cut corners (but, we also didn't book the Penthouse suite). With cruise, hotels/B&Bs (in Seattle, Vancouver, Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks), excursions (including time in Seattle & Vancouver, helicopter to glacier to dog sled, floatplane to Misty Fjords, all day tour in Skagway, whale watching, white water rafting, shuttle bus in Denali, tours & museums in Fairbanks), rental car, glass dome train to Anchorage, and other things, our trip is over $10k. Our airfare was free as we had air miles. So, although we are on the higher end, we are doing the things we most wanted to do.

But - DH & I getting to spend 2+ weeks together, sharing this experience = Priceless!!!!:)

I appreciate both sides of the interesting debate on here...

That said - how/why would any of us get stressed over vacation?!?!?! I LIVE for my 1 (in this case two weeks:D) week each year, primarily because for me vacation = NO STRESS!!!

Onto the original topic - $10-12,000 first trip to Alaska. Air to Seattle, one day there, train to Vancouver, Flight seeing in Ketchikan, whale watching in Juneau, halibut fishing in Icy Straight Point, car rental in Skagway with horseback riding in the Yukon, kayaking in Kenai Fjords, train to Anchorage, rental car and three days to see Talkeetna & Denali.

This July...almost free airfare with FF miles ($250 total roundtrip for two from Charlotte), miles for the Embassy Suites in Anchorage, car rental with three days in Homer - bear watching in Katmai, kayaking Kachemak Bay, float plane trip to see bears at Wolverine Creek across the Cook Inlet. Then three days in Seward - no excusrions yet as my parents will be joining us. Then cruise Seward to Vancouver. 1st baclony ever, thank to an upgrade from an inside for $10 for both of us.

My Dad is an avid fisherman with the lifelong dream to fish Alaska, so I booked us an all day king salmon trip in Skagway, all day halibut fishing again in ISP, whale watching in Juneau, and an open schedule for the moment in Ketchikan. Finishing with the bus trip from Vancouver to Seattle for the red eye home after two weeks - somewhere around $10-$12,000 with the almost free airfare.

We lead pretty quiet lives in our everyday life. Alaska brings out the adventurer in both of us, and with this being the only vacation I may ever get as an adult with my parents, we're treating the 2nd trip to Alaksa like our first and last.

I just want to know BQ's secret for being able to travel 17 weeks a year:D:D:D!!!

L.J.

This thread is a very enjoyable read! I have never totaled my vacation costs before (26th cruise coming up) I work hard so I can enjoy my leisure time, and I'm a saver until I splurge! LOL

I only take one big vacation a year, (and three mini ones) so the cost does not really matter to me!

However, after reading this, I totaled what I spent so far and it isn't too bad:

2 people in a mini suite, airfare from Miami to Anchorage - Vancouver to FLL (was $1260 pp but miles took care of that expense!) (first class too :D YAY)

one seaplane tour, the skagway rail tour, two pre nights in Anchorage and a rental car, one post night in Vancouver, train to Whittier, and the 26 glaciers tour. $3800!

So, to the original poster - you're right on target so don't worry! A few thousand dollars spent you won't miss, you can always replenish, but the memories will last for a lifetime!

Oh, and I started planning this vacation in January and charge everything (miles baby) and every month I pay my credit card bill in full, so when sail time comes, it really hasn't cost me a thing! (this is my reasoning and I'm sticking to it!)

Of course I'm a shopaholic and love red wine so I haven't included THOSE costs yet! I will just have to ask my boss for a raise when I get back to cover it!

Enjoy your holiday and forget about the money!

Archived