Swollen legs/ankles/feet - THIS WORKED!

I see people posting about using a specific oil. Is that important?

I just used the oil and brush as this thread suggested and it worked on my last two cruises. Never tried not using the oil and probably wouldn't want to risk going on a cruise without that oil just to find out.

Yvonne

Hello all. Well I was so excited to try this method out but unfortunately it didn't work for me. :-( I did go the cheap route using the Arnica gel instead of the oil. But the other poster said it worked for her so I was extremely hopeful. Do you really think the oil would have made the difference? I was so disappointed. I still didn't get to wear my shoes. I even had 2 new pair stretched before the trip.

I sail again this Sunday with no flying involved. I'm going to try again and see if there's any difference. I will admit, there was no limiting of alcohol lol, but I'm not a HUGE drinker. Mostly in the evenings.

Hello all. Well I was so excited to try this method out but unfortunately it didn't work for me. :-( I did go the cheap route using the Arnica gel instead of the oil. But the other poster said it worked for her so I was extremely hopeful. Do you really think the oil would have made the difference? I was so disappointed. I still didn't get to wear my shoes. I even had 2 new pair stretched before the trip.

I sail again this Sunday with no flying involved. I'm going to try again and see if there's any difference. I will admit, there was no limiting of alcohol lol, but I'm not a HUGE drinker. Mostly in the evenings.

I wanted so bad not to swell on the first cruise that I tried this on that I also did a few other things that might have helped. I drank only bottled water, I focused on eating the least amount of sodium as possible which meant no sauces on my food, no soup, and whatever else you think is heavy in sodium. I did not cut back on my alcohol yet I'm not a huge drinker. I used the very expensive oil which I bought at Macy's because I couldn't find it anywhere else. All of this was well worth it because I have had no swelling since doing this. As for flying I fly all the way from California to Florida.

Yvonne

I wanted so bad not to swell on the first cruise that I tried this on that I also did a few other things that might have helped. I drank only bottled water, I focused on eating the least amount of sodium as possible which meant no sauces on my food, no soup, and whatever else you think is heavy in sodium. I did not cut back on my alcohol yet I'm not a huge drinker. I used the very expensive oil which I bought at Macy's because I couldn't find it anywhere else. All of this was well worth it because I have had no swelling since doing this. As for flying I fly all the way from California to Florida.

Yvonne

Thanks, Yvonne, for the input, but to be honest, if I had to restrict my eating that much, I'd rather just wear flats! Lol. Really, part of the enjoyment on a cruise for me is eating and drinking things that I wouldn't get a chance to at home. If I had to restrict sauces and soups etc. it wouldn't be much fun for me. So, that said, I'm going to give it another try and see if the flying makes a difference for me. If it still doesn't work I may try and buy the oil to see if it makes a difference. I won't be cruising again for almost a year though. Which of course could change if something good comes up, but definitely won't be cruising before May. I'll come back and report after the next cruise on Sunday.

i just ordered the oil and am going to get the brush. I so hope this works. Going on 8 day to Aruba and Curacao in 11 days and this is always such a problem for me.

Good luck, Tara. And be sure to come back and report how it worked for you. Happy Cruising!

I went for my annual physical today and the doctor asked if I had any swelling of my ankles. I said no but I did say I have had swelling while on a cruise. She said it was likely a result of the humidity.

Shak

I went for my annual physical today and the doctor asked if I had any swelling of my ankles. I said no but I did say I have had swelling while on a cruise. She said it was likely a result of the humidity.

Shak

My feet swelled whilst on a cruise through the Norway Ffjords in May, very little humidity, although had same problem last October whilst in Orlando and then cruising around the Caribbean.

Am thinking it's the ships water, so at mealtimes will try having bottled water on next transatlantic cruise to the Caribbean in couple of weeks time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My feet swelled whilst on a cruise through the Norway Ffjords in May, very little humidity, although had same problem last October whilst in Orlando and then cruising around the Caribbean.

Am thinking it's the ships water, so at mealtimes will try having bottled water on next transatlantic cruise to the Caribbean in couple of weeks time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What ever the cause it is not related to a health issue. I personally don't buy the water causing it but excess salt in food is a real probability in my mind.

I am not big on the water as the cause because the process of making fresh water takes most impurities out including salt. I am sure some salt remains but not much. Many islands rely on sea water for their water source and I don't remember seeing swollen ankles an issue on those islands. It is also hard to avoid ship water. Most everything you eat and drink that takes water is ship water. All soups, ice, many drinks, bread, sauces, and others are made with ship water.

We are going on a Quebec cruise next week so I'll see if I get swollen ankles.

Shak

Shak

I actually think that may be a factor. When in warm climates or when I'm sweating I notice swelling of my fingers and feet. And I think a lot of walking is part of it too. When I walk at home, especially when it's warm, my fingers are always swollen when I finish.

I guess I am needing a little clarification. I am reading about dry brushing and yet using the oil, so can someone just clarify it a bit to me. Do you dry brush and then put the oil on? Thanks so much!!

Hi Tara I applied the oil first then I brushed my feet always brushing up towards my heart. I'm not sure if this was the way everyone did it yet it worked for me.

As for the humidity that could be true yet something is swelling and using the brush seemed to may it all better so whatever the cause the solution is what we all strive for. This applies to the drinking water too I lean towards the believe that the water is fine too yet I still eliminated the ship water where I could.

Yvonne

Edited by SANJOSEGAL

Again, I am not an MD nor licensed physical therapist, I suspect the ice does not work that well for flight related swelling because the swelling is not a result of an injury with heat related swelling, it is from circulation issues. This is likely why the brushing techniques are working for some folks, it is helping the lymph system remove the fluid much like a lymphodema massage does.

Sorry if I am not posting correctly, I am still trying to figure out the process. :)

Again, I am not an MD nor licensed physical therapist, I suspect the ice does not work that well for flight related swelling because the swelling is not a result of an injury with heat related swelling, it is from circulation issues. This is likely why the brushing techniques are working for some folks, it is helping the lymph system remove the fluid much like a lymphodema massage does.

Sorry if I am not posting correctly, I am still trying to figure out the process. :)

Hi, you have posted perfectly:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am on day 8 of a 10 day Canadian cruise and no swelling.

I did nothing special. Maybe it was like my doctor said my swelling was due to heat and humidity because there is neither on this cruise.

Shak

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Shak

I am on day 8 of a 10 day Canadian cruise and no swelling.

I did nothing special. Maybe it was like my doctor said my swelling was due to heat and humidity because there is neither on this cruise.

Shak

Did a Canada/New England cruise this time last year and I had swelling. Here I am in the Bahamas and Florida with heat and humidity but no swelling.

Did a Canada/New England cruise this time last year and I had swelling. Here I am in the Bahamas and Florida with heat and humidity but no swelling.

Last month I had my annual physical and I asked about swelling when on a cruise. She asked me where I cruised and I said warm weather cruises. After reviewing my history and current condition she found no underlying medical reasons for this temporary swelling so in her judgement it was likely related to heat and humidity and after 10 day cool Canadian weather I had no swelling. I ate the same as other cruises and I also drank ship water while onboard and on shore excursions. Maybe your doctor can better explain your swelling.

My next warm weather cruise I will see if elevating, ankle exercises, and more uses of compression socks helps.

Shak

Hi, Ladies.

Well I'm back with an update. I did a 7 day Bahamas cruise out of NY. I did brush the first night but did not after that. I had no noticeable swelling. I was actually able to wear my heels. I'm thinking that it's due to the cooler weather and much less heat and humidity. Yes we had warmer weather, but it was gradual. We had had cooler weather and the beginning and the end of the cruise as well. Also no flying. I'm convinced that flying and heat and humidity from the onset are the reasons for my swelling. I will try the oil with the brushing next time and see if makes any difference. Will try to see if I can get a deal on Ebay.

Just bought the brush from Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday to start brushing. I have swelling as a normal occurrence. I am a commuter ( 1 1/2 hours each way), so after sitting at a desk all day & driving home, my feet & ankles can be pretty big. Going to give brushing a try & see if I have any results. Hoping for the best!

Last month I had my annual physical and I asked about swelling when on a cruise. She asked me where I cruised and I said warm weather cruises. After reviewing my history and current condition she found no underlying medical reasons for this temporary swelling so in her judgement it was likely related to heat and humidity and after 10 day cool Canadian weather I had no swelling. I ate the same as other cruises and I also drank ship water while onboard and on shore excursions. Maybe your doctor can better explain your swelling.

My next warm weather cruise I will see if elevating, ankle exercises, and more uses of compression socks helps.

Shak

At this point, I am more interested in what takes care of the problem than the cause. My doctor didn't find any underlying problem and did mention heat and humidity but would not offer anything definitive when I said I had swelling "up north". Doctors don't always agree on a diagnosis either.;) Swelling would always be gone by the day after getting home.

I never had swelling on at least 12 previous cruises to warm weather locations. I too, ate the same and drank the ship water with no problems when all of a sudden, 4 cruises ago.....BAM. Elevating anytime I could and compressions socks every night did not help me but anything is worth a try because what doesn't work for one may work well for another. Trial and error.;):)

All I know is, last week after brushing twice daily, I had no swelling in very hot and humid weather. I got a little complacent on day seven, didn't brush and I started getting some swelling. One thing I'm sure of, I will brush no matter where we cruise.:D

Here's to no swelling on your next cruise.:)

Potassium supplements are an easy way to compensate for the extra sodium you'll get on a cruise. Remember that all the food is prepared with de-salinated water, which is higher in sodium than your body is probably used to. To restore the sodium/potassium ratio, just add a little potassium and that should help. Most high potassium foods (such as bananas) also have extra sodium, so you'll need to supplement with a non-sodium containing source.

Where do you get a supplement? I went to a pharmacy and they said you need a doctor's prescription for that. It's there a herbal medicine for getting the potassium? In my case the swelling happens a lot and I find the compression socks and elevation to be a big help.

Where do you get a supplement? I went to a pharmacy and they said you need a doctor's prescription for that. It's there a herbal medicine for getting the potassium? In my case the swelling happens a lot and I find the compression socks and elevation to be a big help.

In the USA, we can easily buy supplements at pharmacies, health food stores, etc. without a prescription. Just try eating potassium rich foods.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=potassium+rich+foods&qs=AS&sk=AS2&pq=potassium&sc=8-9&sp=3&cvid=22B64DBAE574670811CD4B22E46B671B&FORM=PRUSEN

Anyone use one of those inflatable foot rests on the plane? see http://www.amazon.com/Design-Luggage-Foot-Rest-Grey/dp/B0029ZP2RA

Sandy in Spain

Sandy, I just use my small carry on bag to prop my feet on. But appreciate the link.

Like everyone here, I have had the balloon feet problem. And over the years I have tried darn near everything.

I always wear the jobst compression stockings for a flight, get up and walk when I can, do flexing exercises while seated. And propping up my feet on the bag. This helps a great deal for the flights, but unless I want to wear support hose the whole cruise.. ..I am still prone to swelling once I board the ship..

On a ship I have tried cruises where I drink plenty of water, and cruises where I stay away from it. There was no difference.

BTW.. the tap water on a ship is purer than most of our water we drink at home. Next time you are on a cruise, ask about it, you will be amazed at the many steps they take to make the water safe and pure.

We walk the stairs, and on and on.....

I beleive that there is no one cause, and so what triggers it for me need not trigger it for you. So therefore, what works for each of us will vary also.

So I am very grateful for the many tips posted here. On the next cruise I will prop up the foot of the bed, and I will buy a body brush and the arnica gel.

I am thinking about just carrying on about three small blocks of wood.. perhaps 4x4x4? Then I can prop up the bed and leave it that way.

Great info..many thanks

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app