Swollen legs/ankles/feet - THIS WORKED!

Sandy, I just use my small carry on bag to prop my feet on. But appreciate the link.

Like everyone here, I have had the balloon feet problem. And over the years I have tried darn near everything.

I always wear the jobst compression stockings for a flight, get up and walk when I can, do flexing exercises while seated. And propping up my feet on the bag. This helps a great deal for the flights, but unless I want to wear support hose the whole cruise.. ..I am still prone to swelling once I board the ship..

On a ship I have tried cruises where I drink plenty of water, and cruises where I stay away from it. There was no difference.

BTW.. the tap water on a ship is purer than most of our water we drink at home. Next time you are on a cruise, ask about it, you will be amazed at the many steps they take to make the water safe and pure.

We walk the stairs, and on and on.....

I beleive that there is no one cause, and so what triggers it for me need not trigger it for you. So therefore, what works for each of us will vary also.

So I am very grateful for the many tips posted here. On the next cruise I will prop up the foot of the bed, and I will buy a body brush and the arnica gel.

I am thinking about just carrying on about three small blocks of wood.. perhaps 4x4x4? Then I can prop up the bed and leave it that way.

Great info..many thanks

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

I think you will be surprised with the results you get with the brush and arnica. Be proactive, and use the brush a few times 24 hours before you drive/fly. I am of the opinion the real culprit is flying.

I bought two of the inflatable footrests for hubby and I for our next trip. He's 6'1" and I have longer than average legs, so we can both use one.

By the way, the life jacket makes a wonderful foot prop under the mattress. I use it at the head of the bed for my reflux, since we sleep on adjustable beds at home.

I think you will be surprised with the results you get with the brush and arnica. Be proactive, and use the brush a few times 24 hours before you drive/fly. I am of the opinion the real culprit is flying.

I bought two of the inflatable footrests for hubby and I for our next trip. He's 6'1" and I have longer than average legs, so we can both use one.

By the way, the life jacket makes a wonderful foot prop under the mattress. I use it at the head of the bed for my reflux, since we sleep on adjustable beds at home.

Thank you, I will try the life jacket trick.

And I intend to start using the brush as a part of my usual routine, I think it will be perfect not only for the problem swelling, but just to improve the all around health and appearance of my legs.

This will get a workout on our Dec cruises.

Thanks again, and smooth sailing everyone

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

[quote name=bowsprit;

We walk the stairs' date=' and on and on.....

I beleive that there is no one cause, and so what triggers it for me need not trigger it for you. So therefore, what works for each of us will vary also.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app[/quote]

Absolutely agree. Seems that doctors can't even agree on the cause and what do to about it.;)

BTW, I did not use the arnica gel. First of all, it's expensive and after doing as much research on it as I could, I found it is an unproven treatment for all it's touted uses and there's no clear advice on how to use it.

Edited by iheartbda

I bought arnica gel at Walmart for $6. I don't consider that expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was referring to the product that was first recommended on this thread. Sorry if I mixed up 2 different things.

http://www.timetospa.com/elemis/detox/elemis-spa-at-home-cellutox-active-body-oil/

Edited by iheartbda

I am back from an 8 day on the Carnival Liberty and I used the elemis oil and brushed several times a day and I still had swelling. However it was tolerable abd not as bad as in the past...I also took the black cherry pills...drank mostly bottled water...wore the miracle socks at night and elevated my feet.

I was referring to the product that was first recommended on this thread. Sorry if I mixed up 2 different things.

http://www.timetospa.com/elemis/detox/elemis-spa-at-home-cellutox-active-body-oil/

The arnica gel works as well as the expensive Elemis product for me. Give it a shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

OMG, my feet were such a problem on the cruises I just got back from, and without that brush and the arica gel, I do NOT want to think of what they would have been like.

The bad news: I was in very humid weather for 15 days, PLUS flying. Pretty much a worst-case scenario for my feet.

On top of that I got moisquito bites on both feet and ankles. I am almost allergic to those critters, and my bites and surrounding area swell badly.

My feet were badly swollen every night after going all day on my feet, alcohol, and sitting all evening, but.................

The good news:

The vaculitis rash only came for two days and the arnica and brushing got rid of it.

The life preserver under the foot of my bed, plus gel/brushing every night, I would get up in the morning with normal looking feet. I just couldn't keep them that way all day.

I was mixing the arica gel with hydrocortisone cream, and then brushing. I got a double benefit: it really scratched the itchy parts :D, and it helped the bites diminish rapidly.

Ladies, you have to be constant with this if you have these problems. It's an every morning, every night regime to keep the circulation moving in your feet and ankles. I even would do it mid-day after coming in from port.

What I have now added to my repetoire is a pair of Chaco sandals with adjustable straps for when my feet swell. I added to my problems with the sandals I wore. They just squeezed my feet even more. The Chaco's have a lot of "give" to allow for swelling.

I just got back from a 14 day cruise to the Caribbean. This was my 17th cruise, some have been in the Caribbean, but we've also been to Hawaii, Alaska, Bermuda and Canada/New England. No matter what the weather I have had problems with swelling on every cruise that I've ever been on. I found this thread and decided to give it a try. I bought the brush at Bed Bath and Beyond and the Arnica gel at Target . My total spent was less than $20.00. I brushed and put the gel on every night after my shower and every morning when I first got up. I had absolutely NO swelling at all. It was so nice to walk around in my sandals and not have huge swollen feet. that hurt. Thanks for the tips from all of you. I will never cruise again without both!!

OMG, my feet were such a problem on the cruises I just got back from, and without that brush and the arica gel, I do NOT want to think of what they would have been like.

The bad news: I was in very humid weather for 15 days, PLUS flying. Pretty much a worst-case scenario for my feet.

On top of that I got moisquito bites on both feet and ankles. I am almost allergic to those critters, and my bites and surrounding area swell badly.

My feet were badly swollen every night after going all day on my feet, alcohol, and sitting all evening, but.................

The good news:

The vaculitis rash only came for two days and the arnica and brushing got rid of it.

The life preserver under the foot of my bed, plus gel/brushing every night, I would get up in the morning with normal looking feet. I just couldn't keep them that way all day.

I was mixing the arica gel with hydrocortisone cream, and then brushing. I got a double benefit: it really scratched the itchy parts :D, and it helped the bites diminish rapidly.

Ladies, you have to be constant with this if you have these problems. It's an every morning, every night regime to keep the circulation moving in your feet and ankles. I even would do it mid-day after coming in from port.

What I have now added to my repetoire is a pair of Chaco sandals with adjustable straps for when my feet swell. I added to my problems with the sandals I wore. They just squeezed my feet even more. The Chaco's have a lot of "give" to allow for swelling.

Hi, I wish I had this product BEFORE my 12 night sailing 12/1...What an issue with swelling/pain I endured, OMG...What is the brush supposed to do? It is any brush or a specific one. I will buy these and be prepared for the next cruise, if we go. I just can't take the pain any more.

Thank you:)

Hi, I wish I had this product BEFORE my 12 night sailing 12/1...What an issue with swelling/pain I endured, OMG...What is the brush supposed to do? It is any brush or a specific one. I will buy these and be prepared for the next cruise, if we go. I just can't take the pain any more.

Thank you:)

I get this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KNHJ5G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and, this:

http://www.amazon.com/Roberts-Research-Labs-Arnica-Gel/dp/B0014B2QTM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1419263555&sr=8-4&keywords=arnica+gel

What I found on my last cruise with extended humdity and moisquito bites, is if I mix the arnica with a little hydrocortisone cream, and massage it in, then brush vigorously, the cream helped also with the swelling and discoloration.

Hydrocortisone cream is the best for skin irritations, etc. My rule is if it's red or swollen, I use the cream.

Don't worry about a little of the stuff getting on the brush: it dries. I throw the brush in the washing machine when I get home.

I prefer the arnica gel because it works into the skin and there is no residue.

As I said above, my sandals were adding to the problem, because the tops of my feet were getting swollen, and my sandal straps (even flip-flops) were pressing into my feet by the end of the day. The Chaco sandals should help with that.

Edited by pcur

I love reading all this positive feed back as I too suffered with this problem. Since finding this thread I have never had a problem with swelling again. I start days before I even leave for the cruise just to be sure I don't start swelling on my long flight to Florida from California.

Yvonne

Over the past 10 years we have taken over 20 cruises and each and every one I have elephant ankles. Two years ago we did a 14 day Med cruise in October and after five or six days I could barely walk much less wear my shoes. I was at my wits end. I went to the spa for a foot and leg massage thinking that would help. One look at me and they said I needed to go to Medical. I explained that actually this happens to me every time I cruise. So they did an hour long foot and leg massage using the Elemis Cellutox oil. Of course they sold me a bottle and told me to use several times a day. Well, none of this worked. I was miserable. When I returned I went to my doctor and explained that the only time I have this type of swelling is on a ship. He said while they do a great job of having "clean" water on the ship, there are chemicals in the water that some people have a reaction to - and that would be me. Since then I have cruised 5 times and only drink bottled water. You still are getting the ship water in the food, but not as much. I also only drink one latte a day (I am a huge coffee drinker but know that the coffee will have the same reaction on me - so I settle for the one latte since its mainly milk. If I feel I need another caffine fix I will get an expresso. So, the good news is the water was my issue and its something I can almost avoid except for that which is found in the food preparation.

I just got back from a 14 day cruise to the Caribbean. This was my 17th cruise, some have been in the Caribbean, but we've also been to Hawaii, Alaska, Bermuda and Canada/New England. No matter what the weather I have had problems with swelling on every cruise that I've ever been on. I found this thread and decided to give it a try. I bought the brush at Bed Bath and Beyond and the Arnica gel at Target . My total spent was less than $20.00. I brushed and put the gel on every night after my shower and every morning when I first got up. I had absolutely NO swelling at all. It was so nice to walk around in my sandals and not have huge swollen feet. that hurt. Thanks for the tips from all of you. I will never cruise again without both!!

Hi and thanks! What exactly does the brush do with the Arnica Gel? I have sensitive, thin skin? Can I use my hands or a "shower buff puff" instead?

Thank you kindly!

Hi and thanks! What exactly does the brush do with the Arnica Gel? I have sensitive, thin skin? Can I use my hands or a "shower buff puff" instead?

Thank you kindly!

I am not sure how it works, but the brush I got is not very stiff so I don't think the brush itself would hurt. If you read through the thread I think there are some people who just do the dry brush and that worked for them. I have just had such a problem with swelling in the past that I thought I would try both together. I hope that this works for you also.

I am not sure how it works, but the brush I got is not very stiff so I don't think the brush itself would hurt. If you read through the thread I think there are some people who just do the dry brush and that worked for them. I have just had such a problem with swelling in the past that I thought I would try both together. I hope that this works for you also.

Thank you...When (and if we go), I will get the brush and gel and a buff puff and check it out days before, maybe priming my legs/ankles...

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered the brush and gel from Amazon... at this rate I will try almost anything to help on cruises!! Hope it works :)

I do know plenty of circulation is needed too!! If flying or driving take lots of walks. My doctors suggested every hour but I flew cross country 7 times in 6 months and drove 3 times, and walked the plane every 30 - 45 minutes. I admit on the drive I didnt stop as often but I did put on cruise control and lifted my knees a few times and changed positions as best I could while driving. Happy to report I haven't had an issue with my ankles / feet yet.

I can't remember if I posted this on this thread or not. Loved it on the airplane with my compression stockings:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003J21SZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And, I got these to wear on the ship and in port. They are adjustable when my feet swell:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1RVTIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And, always the brush and the arnica gel!

Edited by pcur

I just ordered the brush and gel from Amazon... at this rate I will try almost anything to help on cruises!!

Ditto. I've been fighting this for decades with all the standard repertoire: reduced salt intake, moderate alcohol or none at all, drinking lots of water even when I don't feel thirsty, foot elevation, foot soak in icy water (bidets can be very handy for this!), epsom salt baths, compression stockings, plenty of walking, yada yada.

They all help some, but the problem is still pretty intense for me. I have chronic heart failure due to a congenital defect that was only partially corrected by OH surgery, so the resulting lousy circulation makes the swelling even worse, as does the diltiazem that I take daily. I'm ready to try just about anything else that's rational and has worked for others. All 9 pages of this thread have kept me absorbed in the quest!

I'm now eager to try dry brushing and arnica gel. I also ordered a new style of compression hose, as my last ones were a poor fit and miserably uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, has anyone tried the Portable Airplane Travel Footrest (a.k.a. Happy Feet) that Amazon sells for $25? It seems to get a lot of positive reviews. When we cruise out of South Florida, the crosscountry flight from Seattle always kicks in the swelling process, which only gets worse when we board the ship. The device is so simple it looks like a high-profit item for the manufacturer, but it's not a real costly experiment. OTOH, these days we restrict our luggage for trips of less than a month to just one carryon each, so I'm not eager to lug around something that's just a gimmick.

This seems to be one topic that never dies here on CC, eh?

Thanks --

Judy

Ditto. I've been fighting this for decades with all the standard repertoire: reduced salt intake, moderate alcohol or none at all, drinking lots of water even when I don't feel thirsty, foot elevation, foot soak in icy water (bidets can be very handy for this!), epsom salt baths, compression stockings, plenty of walking, yada yada.

They all help some, but the problem is still pretty intense for me. I have chronic heart failure due to a congenital defect that was only partially corrected by OH surgery, so the resulting lousy circulation makes the swelling even worse, as does the diltiazem that I take daily. I'm ready to try just about anything else that's rational and has worked for others. All 9 pages of this thread have kept me absorbed in the quest!

I'm now eager to try dry brushing and arnica gel. I also ordered a new style of compression hose, as my last ones were a poor fit and miserably uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, has anyone tried the Portable Airplane Travel Footrest (a.k.a. Happy Feet) that Amazon sells for $25? It seems to get a lot of positive reviews. When we cruise out of South Florida, the crosscountry flight from Seattle always kicks in the swelling process, which only gets worse when we board the ship. The device is so simple it looks like a high-profit item for the manufacturer, but it's not a real costly experiment. OTOH, these days we restrict our luggage for trips of less than a month to just one carryon each, so I'm not eager to lug around something that's just a gimmick.

This seems to be one topic that never dies here on CC, eh?

Thanks --

Judy

I used this on my last trip and loved it!

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Go-Ergonomically-Designed-Inflate/dp/B00506DS58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421991840&sr=8-2&keywords=inflatable+foot+rest&pebp=1421991845823&peasin=B00506DS58

Fits exactly under the seat in front of you, and soooooo comfortable. With my compression socks I was in pretty good shape after flying.

I used this on my last trip and loved it!

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Go-Ergonomically-Designed-Inflate/dp/B00506DS58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421991840&sr=8-2&keywords=inflatable+foot+rest&pebp=1421991845823&peasin=B00506DS58

Fits exactly under the seat in front of you, and soooooo comfortable. With my compression socks I was in pretty good shape after flying.

Thanks, Peggy. I had made note of that as I read the thread here. The "Happy Feet" model on Amazon doesn't need to be blown up, which is a plus for me, but it's also more expensive than yours, so I'm weighing both options. Between a footrest of some sort, a new model of compression stockings, and arnica gel and dry brushing, I'm crossing my fingers! Sometimes I feel like I'm on an unending quest for the Holy Grail, though!

:)

Thanks, Peggy. I had made note of that as I read the thread here. The "Happy Feet" model on Amazon doesn't need to be blown up, which is a plus for me, but it's also more expensive than yours, so I'm weighing both options. Between a footrest of some sort, a new model of compression stockings, and arnica gel and dry brushing, I'm crossing my fingers! Sometimes I feel like I'm on an unending quest for the Holy Grail, though!

:)

The footrest takes about 10 seconds to blow up, and about that to deflate. Fold up flat and small. Just remember to twist the little plug thing in and out, don't pull. Twist and push in, twist and pull out.

Don't over inflate: it's best to have a little "give" to it. This footrest is soft and feels like you have your feet resting on a pillow. I love it!

Edited by pcur