Swollen legs/ankles/feet - THIS WORKED!

After reading more posts on this thread I thought I'd give another update on my use of the brushing. Just back from a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. Used the brush morning and night every day, used the arnica gel almost everytime. I will admit, sometimes in the morning I was in a hurry so I'd skip the gel, but NEVER skipped the actual brushing. I drink the ships water, and alcohol and had very minimal swelling. Usually just a bit by the end of a busy port day, but by morning it was all gone. Hope this helps:)

Did you eat differently at all or splurged on cruise food? I think my problem is salty foods and ship water combined.

Do you think the gel is necessary? Or just brushing should help too?

Did you eat differently at all or splurged on cruise food? I think my problem is salty foods and ship water combined.

Do you think the gel is necessary? Or just brushing should help too?

I would love to tell you that I watch what I eat on a cruise but that would be such a lie that lightning would strike me dead:) . I don't eat all day everyday but I figure I'm on vacatoin so I do splurge. I wish I could say for sure if just brushing would work but I've never cut it out all together. Maybe someone else can answer that part. Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for this post. I know it's an old post, but there is some good information in here. I suffered terribly on our first cruise last year and want to be able to minimize this issue when we cruise again next year. Thank you for these great tips. :)

Thanks for this post. I know it's an old post, but there is some good information in here. I suffered terribly on our first cruise last year and want to be able to minimize this issue when we cruise again next year. Thank you for these great tips. :)

CruisinJamma the info may be old but it works great I wouldn't go on a cruise without my brush and Arnica Jell. Post how you did using this on a cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

I literally just came upon this thread this evening while perusing Cruise Critic. I honestly thought I was pretty much the ONLY PERSON who suffered like crazy with swollen feet, ankles, and lower legs during a cruise. I was so happy to take the time to read through this thread and get some awesome advice! I first noticed my feet swelling when we were on a trip to Australia about 15 years ago. It was so hot and so humid and we did a LOT of walking. It was not a cruise, just a vacation. Then when we fell in love with cruising, I noticed that every single time, yep, those things would swell!! Hubby and I are leaving on a Canada/New England cruise in about 6 weeks and this time I'm going to be prepared! I just purchased the brush, the arnica gel, and compression socks for the flight. I've also got one of those blow up foot rests that I'll finally try. I intend on raising the lower part of the mattress on the cruise ship with something - the life jackets, or towels, or something. I have high hopes that THIS TIME I won't suffer again from swelling feet and ankles. Will keep you posted on how it goes, but I wanted to say a big THANKS for some HOPE and for some methods that have worked for others!

I literally just came upon this thread this evening while perusing Cruise Critic. I honestly thought I was pretty much the ONLY PERSON who suffered like crazy with swollen feet, ankles, and lower legs during a cruise. I was so happy to take the time to read through this thread and get some awesome advice! I first noticed my feet swelling when we were on a trip to Australia about 15 years ago. It was so hot and so humid and we did a LOT of walking. It was not a cruise, just a vacation. Then when we fell in love with cruising, I noticed that every single time, yep, those things would swell!! Hubby and I are leaving on a Canada/New England cruise in about 6 weeks and this time I'm going to be prepared! I just purchased the brush, the arnica gel, and compression socks for the flight. I've also got one of those blow up foot rests that I'll finally try. I intend on raising the lower part of the mattress on the cruise ship with something - the life jackets, or towels, or something. I have high hopes that THIS TIME I won't suffer again from swelling feet and ankles. Will keep you posted on how it goes, but I wanted to say a big THANKS for some HOPE and for some methods that have worked for others!

I've used the blow-up footrests on almost all my flights for several years, along with the compression socks. Works very well, and the footrest fits exactly under the seat in front of you. Very cushy and comfy.

I use a life jacket laid out flat to elevate my feet, but if the swelling is sever, then put it under folded.

Remember, to brush and massage UPWARD and firmly. You don't need a lot of the gel, either, but it needs to be brushed and massaged in.

I totally get your excitement I too was desperately searching for help and stumbled on this thread. I've never had any swelling since following this method. Please do let us know when you get back how it worked for you.

Just make sure you read the side effects and interactions before you use arnica gel. Don't use it for the first time while you are away. Try it before you leave.

I was going to buy arnica but after reading what it is derived from and all the side effects, I knew it was something that would cause a bad reaction.

Just make sure you do your own research, only you know your medical history.

I first developed lymphoedema (a serious form of swelling that can lead to permanent damage) on a cruise. I was at risk due to having some lymph nodes removed... But I have ongoing periodic treatment.

Some things I have learned that may help:

Being underneath the water can be very helpful. The cystolic pressure pushes the lymph out of your system (why we often need to pee after swimming) so stand in the pool or sea for a while, 10 minutes or more. The deeper the water, the greater the water pressure at the bottom, so shoulder deep is great. I try to do this daily when I can.

Avoid heat like saunas, baths, etc. Don't have really hot showers.

Massage very lightly up the leg from the bottom towards the lymph node in the groin. Pressing harder stops it from working. If you do it correctly, you will probably need to pee 5 -15 minutes later... If the problem is really bad, a lymphodoema physiotherapist can teach you how to do this.

Also, I have read that the drinking water served on ships is usually partly desalinated sea water and may well contain salt, even though it doesn't really taste salty. So stick with bottled water if you have problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we leave in less than two weeks now and I feel like I'm all geared up to prevent that pesky foot and ankle swelling that has ALWAYS plagued me during cruises. We have a long overnight flight prior to the cruise, so I'm starting out with my 15-20 mmHg compression socks on and my blow up foot rest in my carry on. I've got my dry brush & my arnica gel (which I have tried out here at home to make sure I'm not allergic to it). Another person on this thread mentioned using an over-the-counter diuretic. I didn't even know you could buy diuretics over the counter, but YES, you can! They are very gentle, nothing like Lasix that you obviously need a prescription for. So I bought some Diurex and decided I better try that here at home too, before getting out there on a ship and having a bad reaction to it. I truly believed it worked, and it's in my arsenal to combat the swollen feet and ankles too! I also will be placing something (rolled up towel....or ... life jacket) under the foot of our bed to assist gravity in keeping those ankles normal. If I've missed anything, please let me know! I promise to report back and let you all know how this calculated attack on swollen feet, ankles, and lower legs goes! Thanks to all for the advice here. As I've stated before, I honestly thought I was the only person to suffer like this during a cruise and it was kind of embarrassing! I'll update when we get home - in about 3 weeks :-)

• 1 month later...

I'm so thankful to come across this thread!! I returned from a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise a week ago and my ankles and feet were so swollen. Halfway through the cruise they looked like elephant feet! UGH!! This was the worst swelling I've experienced although I always swell some when I fly and on cruises. I only had a 3 hour flight the day before the cruise and I could tell that I had some swelling later that same day. It just got worse on the cruise. When I got home from the cruise I weighed myself and I was up 10 pounds!! Within 3 days I had lost all 10, boy was I peeing a ton everyday. I can't believe I had 10 pounds worth of water weight in a week! I drank mostly bottled water but I do remember that I drank water served at the table in the MDR most nights, not much though. I probably had 5-6 alcohol beverages every day, I don't drink hardly any at home. We exercised (weights and cardio-same as at home) the 3 sea days of the cruise and still had major swelling. By the 5th day both ankles were achy due to the major swelling. I wasn't anymore sedentary than I am at home so I know that's wasn't the issue, and I was active at the 3 ports. Out of 4 women I was traveling with I was the only one that had swelling, and major bloating.

I have a 3 week trip to Europe in June including a 12 night Med and then a 14 night Singapore to Sydney cruise later in 2017. I'm definitely going to take a brush, arnica gel, travel compression socks, potassium pills and maybe a diuretic to help stave off the swelling for the upcoming big trips. I was so uncomfortable for most of this recent cruise and I certainly don't want to feel that way on the longer trips in the future. I will also try these remedies if I do any other air travel before then.

I'll add that I'm 42 and I do not take any medication and have good blood pressure. I did drink half a cup of coffee at breakfast everyday to help myself be regular.

Thank you everyone for the helpful info.

Many years ago I found this thread and it really changed my cruising experience for the better. Every year I bring my Elemis oil and brush and started early applying my oil and brushing my feet. So September 25th 2016 I headed off on another cruise only this time I didn't remember to follow this procedure. Sure enough my feet started swelling like crazy. I quickly started brushing my feet every time we went into our cabin. Soon no more swelling I seriously don't want that to happen again. For reference I am 59 years old have slight hypertension. I take a diuretic daily. My feet only swell on a cruise, in the past I stopped drinking ship water and avoided all sauces that are usually laden with sodium.

Anyone who has suffered with this condition I highly recommend you give this a try.

• 3 weeks later...
Many years ago I found this thread and it really changed my cruising experience for the better. Every year I bring my Elemis oil and brush and started early applying my oil and brushing my feet. So September 25th 2016 I headed off on another cruise only this time I didn't remember to follow this procedure. Sure enough my feet started swelling like crazy. I quickly started brushing my feet every time we went into our cabin. Soon no more swelling I seriously don't want that to happen again. For reference I am 59 years old have slight hypertension. I take a diuretic daily. My feet only swell on a cruise, in the past I stopped drinking ship water and avoided all sauces that are usually laden with sodium.

Anyone who has suffered with this condition I highly recommend you give this a try.

Ironically, I am 59 years old and have slight hypertension as well. We just returned from a cruise and this is the first one in years that the swelling was minimal. I used Arnica Gel and brushed my feet and ankles daily. It really seemed to work and I could actually wear my nice shoes instead of the flip flops that fit my usually swollen feet. I won't cruise without my trusty brush and gel.

• 2 years later...

As many others have said, I am so glad I found this thread. I am going to learn the lymph massage and try all of these hints.

one question - I have tried knee high compression socks but they are so painful behind my knees that I was afraid I would develop a clot from them. Is there a brand that isn’t compression at the knee? I have tried 3 different brands.

thanks and, since the last post in 2016, has anyone discovered anything new?

2 hours ago, piper said:

Yes, they are graduated compression - just too much at the top of my calf/behind the knee. Thanks for the brand names- I will check them out

I have the same issue but have learned to purchase ones for women not the unisex type. Some medical supply stores can fit you correctly. 

I had this issue for a long time and it never seemed better no matter what I did: more water, less sodium, more exercise, elevating my legs when I could, etc. Long story short: I was diagnosed with a specific type of kidney disease. If you have swelling that doesn't go away by eating less salt and drinking more water, get some labs and bloodwork done. I suffered for a couple of years and it took passing out, and ER visit, and a cardiology workup to figure it out. Over-the-counter options can be helpful, but if they don't work don't give up.