Swollen legs/ankles/feet - THIS WORKED!

You don't have to sleep with your feet elevated, but you do need to get the ankles above your heart for 30 minutes or longer! I usually prop them up on the headboard and watch tv or read in the late afternoon, especially if I have been on excursions requiring a lot of walking. That seems to control the swelling somewhat.

I too have this problem and I truly believe that you should be discussing it with your Dr. especially if on meds for blood pressure or other problems. This is not just a "looks" problem or a problem of unsightly veins. This swelling says something internally is not going well and could be a serious health problem. If you swell, I have been told by my Dr. that I am at increased risk of DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) and that can kill you! That swelling is not just in your veins of the legs it is in all parts of the body and can include the lungs. You might need medication or medical attention. Better to talk about it before the trip than have a medical emergency. Best of luck.

(I did not read every post so if this has been already talked over --sorry. I had a dear friend that developed a DVT emergency on the way to a cruise and it was only a 2 hour flight. She lived but it was a bad emergency and not a good cruise.)

I am a side sleeper, too, but what helps on cruises is putting one of the life jackets under the mattress at the foot of the bed. This is a gentle increase in elevation, and you can still sleep on your side.

I always sleep with the head of any bed elevated at the top, too. Even with both ends it's just a gentle curve. I usually only do the end of the bed if I have my rash issue, but I may not have to do it from now on.

I'll put the brush and arnica to the test again in a few weeks. Flight to FLL, a HOT b2b in the Caribbean and Mexico, then long flight home. Hope it all works again.

I too have this problem and I truly believe that you should be discussing it with your Dr. especially if on meds for blood pressure or other problems. This is not just a "looks" problem or a problem of unsightly veins. This swelling says something internally is not going well and could be a serious health problem. If you swell, I have been told by my Dr. that I am at increased risk of DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) and that can kill you! That swelling is not just in your veins of the legs it is in all parts of the body and can include the lungs. You might need medication or medical attention. Better to talk about it before the trip than have a medical emergency. Best of luck.

(I did not read every post so if this has been already talked over --sorry. I had a dear friend that developed a DVT emergency on the way to a cruise and it was only a 2 hour flight. She lived but it was a bad emergency and not a good cruise.)

I've talked to my dr about this. He's not concerned.

I've talked to my dr about this. He's not concerned.

Me, too: two doctors. My swelling is almost always caused by flying, and the compression socks work very well for me. On land it's the heat and humidity that give me vasculitis. The brush and arnica works for both of these conditions.

• 2 months later...

Like some that have posted they did not have ankle swelling in the past but now do I am in the same "boat". My last 2 or 3 cruises have noticed swelling and shortly after returning home the swelling went away.

I came across this recent article and it seems to make a lot of sense to me. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/wellbeing/6952532/Why-do-my-feet-and-ankles-swell-when-Im-on-a-ships-cruise.html

Some what I find in common with this article is I am getting older and on a cruise ship I tend to eat more. I also have no control of the sodium content in the preparation as I do at home. While we can control the salt shaker I am positive the sodium levels in the buffet and dining room are very high. Requesting a low sodium diet may help.

In this article there is mention like others have posted on elevating your feet but I saw a video that suggest adding exercises with your feet while elevated. CC edited the link, not sure why but if you search travelers swollen tootsies you will find it.

I am going on a cruise in 3 weeks and I'll try this method.

Shak

Edited by Shak

Like some that have posted they did not have ankle swelling in the past but now do I am in the same "boat". My last 2 or 3 cruises have noticed swelling and shortly after returning home the swelling went away.

I came across this recent article and it seems to make a lot of sense to me. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/wellbeing/6952532/Why-do-my-feet-and-ankles-swell-when-Im-on-a-ships-cruise.html

Some what I find in common with this article is I am getting older and on a cruise ship I tend to eat more. I also have no control of the sodium content in the preparation as I do at home. While we can control the salt shaker I am positive the sodium levels in the buffet and dining room are very high. Requesting a low sodium diet may help.

In this article there is mention like others have posted on elevating your feet but I saw a video that suggest adding exercises with your feet while elevated. CC edited the link, not sure why but if you search travelers swollen tootsies you will find it.

I am going on a cruise in 3 weeks and I'll try this method.

Shak

Interesting reading......but I have read so many people say DON'T

drink the water......or I should say, if you are going to drink to water

make sure it is bottled and not from the ship.

So who knows:confused:........my ankles have always gotten swollen too.

Interesting reading......but I have read so many people say DON'T

drink the water......or I should say, if you are going to drink to water

make sure it is bottled and not from the ship.

So who knows:confused:........my ankles have always gotten swollen too.

I am sure there is some added sodium in the ships water but with distillation I am sure those levels are low. I still believe the biggest culprit if sodium is the reason for swelling would be in the preparation of the food. Take a look at sodium levels on canned goods in your pantry if you have any. Also everything on the ship uses ships water in the preparation of meals including ice cubes.

Shak

I am sure there is some added sodium in the ships water but with distillation I am sure those levels are low. I still believe the biggest culprit if sodium is the reason for swelling would be in the preparation of the food. Take a look at sodium levels on canned goods in your pantry if you have any. Also everything on the ship uses ships water in the preparation of meals including ice cubes.

Shak

Hi:)....Oh, I realize processed foods have LOTS and LOTS of salt in

them....it is what keeps the food preserved for a longer period of time.

I am so happy I found this thread.

I travel often for work but haven't had swelling however I just got off an 18 hour day of travel from Sicily to home and on the long flight over, my feet were SO bad, I too felt like I wanted to use razor blades to cut the skin for relief. It was so stretched and painful and very scary to see it occur before my eyes.

I live in Florida so I am used to a hot climate. My feet swelled on and off on my recent 2 week trip in Sicily and I drank tons of bottled water and wasn't sure why it was happening. We did walk A LOT so not sure if this is the case.

My last cruise I noticed my feet were swelling and I did eat everything on the ship and also drank some of the water. Maybe this is the reason?!

I am now leaving next week for a short 4 day cruise and I really don't want to go thru what I just went thru on the plane this week.

So I am so happy I found this thread. I bought the elemis, the arnica and the brush!!! Maybe overkill but I don't want a repeat!! I will let you all know how it works next week.

Edited by Clearwater

I am so happy I found this thread.

I travel often for work but haven't had swelling however I just got off an 18 hour day of travel from Sicily to home and on the long flight over, my feet were SO bad, I too felt like I wanted to use razor blades to cut the skin for relief. It was so stretched and painful and very scary to see it occur before my eyes.

I live in Florida so I am used to a hot climate. My feet swelled on and off on my recent 2 week trip in Sicily and I drank tons of bottled water and wasn't sure why it was happening. We did walk A LOT so not sure if this is the case.

My last cruise I noticed my feet were swelling and I did eat everything on the ship and also drank some of the water. Maybe this is the reason?!

I am now leaving next week for a short 4 day cruise and I really don't want to go thru what I just went thru on the plane this week.

So I am so happy I found this thread. I bought the elemis, the arnica and the brush!!! Maybe overkill but I don't want a repeat!! I will let you all know how it works next week.

Clearwater I know exactly what you mean once I found this information and used it on my next cruise it was the best thing ever. No more swollen feet for me. Funny I actually had dressy shoes just for my swollen feet on the cruise, no need for those anymore.

I did more research on dry brushing recently and found its benefits even when I'm not on a cruise. So I now do the dry brushing over my whole body every day when I remember that is :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I also swell in my lower ankles and feet but only when I fly. I am just as vain as anyone but do use the travel support hose. I have worked in physical rehabilitation where they use different kinds of support hose/stockings, etc to prevent swelling and DVT (deep vein thrombosis). I buy my knee highs in a regular drug store or hospital pharmacy. They really do work. Another thing that will help is frequent exercises during the flight including ankle circles, point and flex and walking with raising up on your toes a few times if possible. As previously mentioned, it is important to reposition the sock bands and watch for any creases in the stockings. I usually roll them down to give my legs a bit of short break every hour then pull them back up. I have never had much swelling since. On shore, elevation and wearing supportive hosery and footwear can help. I know it not always possibe or fun but it may help with the swelling.

It is also my personal belief that lots of water, and limiting alcholic beverages can help. I know, I know.....who wants to limit alchohol on a vacation/cruise!

If you are diabetic or have other poor circulation issues, it is important to consult with your physician first. Hope this helps!:)

How do all of you get away from not using any ice?? I've read a million tips and tricks, and I plan to try them all, but I keep thinking, well, i sure use a lot of ice. No way to avoid that....

The arnica gel I use is a coolong agent.

How do all of you get away from not using any ice?? I've read a million tips and tricks, and I plan to try them all, but I keep thinking, well, i sure use a lot of ice. No way to avoid that....

Before I found this thread I remember the time I filled the trash can in the cabin with ice and water then soaked my feet in it. Thank goodness that's not necessary anymore.

I should have clarified a little better. While I've put ice on my ankles on past cruises, and that hasn't worked at all, I was meaning ice in drinks. As I read everyone's posts, I'm thinking, drink bottled water, no prob. Avoid soups, eggs and this of that sort. No problem. I typically order a bottle for my room, to save money (much cheaper than buying per drink from the bar), and walk around with my drink, and that is usually filled with ice to keep it cold. Not sure how I feel about drinking not cold vodka crans....I know, i know. First world problems. Stressing about how to keep the booze cold...lol. My next cruise is in Feb, and I just got my brush and oil. I really hope it works!!

We purchased the brush and oil after reading this post for our cruise this past spring. It was our 6th cruise and the first that his ankles didn't swell! He did use it twice a day. He's a believer!

So glad to get the positive feed back on this thread. So far I don't think I've seen anyone post that it didn't work. :)

Yvonne