Amazon River Cruise - Just Returned

diane.in.ny

Welcome Home!!

So I'm just opening my eyes to the world of river cruising, and while cruising (he-he) around some of the sites saw some Amazon River cruise options. I though - hey how cool would THAT be?!

But I'm reading this book just now (a novel) called State of Wonder, and in it the narrator is describing insects "with wings as large as handkerchiefs" and I got to thinking that I had never considered the bug factor of such a trip. Did you encounter any issues with this and what measures did you take to deal with it?

We have also done the Peruvian Amazon, but with GAP adventures, a Canandian firm. It was one of our best of 15 river cruises. Such a great way to see another way of life. Pat

Was yours the "Amazon Riverboat Adventure"? If we did this, we unfortunately couldn't add on Macchu Pichu, since high altitude is out.

Just realized that the GAP store has moved while I was away this winter. Oh well, it's a streetcar ride away.

We have also done the Peruvian Amazon, but with GAP adventures, a Canandian firm. It was one of our best of 15 river cruises. Such a great way to see another way of life. Pat

We have used GAP (now G Adventures) in the past and loved our trips with them. However, this time we needed something a bit slower paced.

Welcome Home!!

So I'm just opening my eyes to the world of river cruising, and while cruising (he-he) around some of the sites saw some Amazon River cruise options. I though - hey how cool would THAT be?!

But I'm reading this book just now (a novel) called State of Wonder, and in it the narrator is describing insects "with wings as large as handkerchiefs" and I got to thinking that I had never considered the bug factor of such a trip. Did you encounter any issues with this and what measures did you take to deal with it?

Thanks for the welcome home.

No, we did not encounter any insects with wings that large, unless you want to count the beautiful morpho butterfly that flew past us.

Seriously, I don't think anyone can take a trip like this and not expect to be bitten at least once. We took Malarone against malaria and had previously had yellow fever shots.

Generally, during the daytime, the insects were not a problem. At night, they swarmed. We used insect repellent and covered all exposed skin. After a couple of days, we realized we needed to put repellent under our socks and pants legs. Some people had clothing with insect repellent in it and they claimed it worked.

At night, we made sure all lights were out in our cabin before opening and closing the cabin door.

Insects were a problem at night because we tied up near shore for the night. They were also a problem -- and expected -- when we did our night excursion.

But we had no problems in the cabin, during the open lounge area during the day or in the enclosed dining room.

(I am just starting to upload posts to my travel blog.

http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/ )

We did the Amazon River cruise from Manaus on the Iberostar and didn't have any problem with 'bugs'. We did take malaria precautions and had yellow fever shots from a previous trip to Kenya and Tanzania. Yellow fever shots are good for 10years.

For those that had no issue with bugs, what time of year did you go? We were at the end of the rainy season.

Also, at night, we tied up close to shore. Since it was high water we were almost in the trees.

We went about the first of April

We went early October. Also tied to shore at night but no bugs. Where I was eaten alive was Machu Pichu by what they call "mosquitos" but are more like a vicious black fly. I had itchy welts for 3 weeks!

And we visited Machu Picchu in September and had no problem with the flies.

I guess there is really no way to predict it.

Archived