Ivar's Acres of Clams

Alaska_2012

Hello! Is Ivar's Acres of Clams within walking distance of the Fairmont Olympic? We will be on a tour with Tours Northwest until 7:00 (end of June) and we were wondering if it is walkable and safe to do so. Thanks! :)

Sure. Walk down University Street (west) to First Avenue (4 blocks) then turn left (south) two blocks to Spring Street, then turn right and down the stairs to Western Avenue, under the Alaskan Way viaduct, and straight across the street is Ivar's Acres of Clams.

Alternatively you can walk to the Pike Market, down the Pike Hillclimb stairs to the central waterfront, then turn left (south) and walk four blocks to Ivar's.

Note the walk back will be uphill, good for working off the chips. ;)

It's quite safe and of course it will still be broad daylight in late June.

going there will all be downhill and some quite steep streets. Coming hm I'd take a cab. While I like Ivars I like the Salmon House location on Lk Union for the food and views of the Space Needle even better. It would be a cab ride.

Hello! Is Ivar's Acres of Clams within walking distance of the Fairmont Olympic? We will be on a tour with Tours Northwest until 7:00 (end of June) and we were wondering if it is walkable and safe to do so. Thanks! :)

Yes and yes, but then again you have to like clams.;)

I can remember Ivar Smith's TV commercials from when I was a kid...."keep clam".

Make that Ivar HAGLAND. He owned the SMITH Tower (an office building) for many years. Just sayin'. ;-)

I also remember his commercials, and his appearances on the Captain Puget kids' TV show.

Make that Ivar HAGLAND. He owned the SMITH Tower (an office building) for many years. Just sayin'. ;-)

I also remember his commercials, and his appearances on the Captain Puget kids' TV show.

You are of course correct...first it was the short term memory and now it's long term memory. It was the Captain Puget show I remember as a kid. However, in doing a bit of Goggling this morning, evidently only one of the episodes was ever recorded which you can purchase for $19.95 but you can find a cut of the show with Ivar singing.

Hey, all. I just got back from Seattle, and I ate at Ivar's up near the Universities. I found it to be way overpriced, and the clam chowder was not at all that good (maybe just this time, but....). Maybe his place on Pier 54 is better. Thanks.

Hey, all. I just got back from Seattle, and I ate at Ivar's up near the Universities. I found it to be way overpriced, and the clam chowder was not at all that good (maybe just this time, but....). Maybe his place on Pier 54 is better. Thanks.

Well now that you have raised the matter of the chowder, I will confess to having it in other restaurants several over the past few years in both WA & OR, have found it to be very starchy, loaded with potatoes and not a lot of clams....which is not as I recall it.

Some people will tell you that's a sacrilege! Ivar's chowder is kind of a local institution. I don't eat it because I don't like clams, but I have to confess, I haven't been all that impressed with Ivar's food in general (although the Lake Union location does a pretty decent Sunday brunch buffet).

If you're looking for good chowder, Pike Place Chowder gets raves, and has won lots of awards. My personal favorite is the salmon chowder at the Lockspot Cafe, right next to the Ballard locks. It's a great little local dive, and if you're a fan of the Deadliest Catch, you might recognize it from some of the scenes filmed there when the boats were in port. You can even pick up a "Deadliest Bar" t-shirt!

Archived