Norway Strikes inc port pilots!

LibraLass41

Who knows if fellow port pilots will follow suit?, Alesund and Bergen mentioned it the first phase, there is a long discussion thread on P&O forum, funnily enough none of them picked up it could be just Oslo. I suppose no one knows how it will pan out, lets hope it gets sorted out quickly.

What day are you going?

Saturday.......I am laid back about it all. Have been to the Fjords before and we are doing again in August (just a case of the offers that came up which fitted with holidays dates we could do). I will be very happy if the itinerary remains as intended, but whatever happens I am off work and will be relaxing with the family which is the main thing :)

Saturday.......I am laid back about it all. Have been to the Fjords before and we are doing again in August (just a case of the offers that came up which fitted with holidays dates we could do). I will be very happy if the itinerary remains as intended, but whatever happens I am off work and will be relaxing with the family which is the main thing :)

And me :) never been before but as there is a not a lot I can do about it I'll stay calm!!

Have just heard about this too today, however I too think what will be will be. Have done this itinerary before, would be disappointed if Flaam were cancelled, but hey, grateful to be on a cruise and enjoying the time with my family.

I'm going on Saturday too. I will be really disappointed if we don't get a chance to get off the ship at the ports. I much much prefer the port days to the 'at sea' days. I would hate to do a 7 day cruise to the USA for that reason. It's our friends' first cruise and I would hate it to spoil it for them.

The entire point of the thread on the P & O forum is that the current strike is threatened to escalate after 30th May to include pilots at all ports of Norway. Nothing to do with it being only Oslo at the moment.

Personally I will be very sad if we end up not going to the Fjords, as we had to cancel this same cruise last year so I may be destined never to go there, LOL.

My sister has just sent me a text from Fred Olsen Balmoral to say that her cruise has been cancelled due to the strike. They were on their way to Bergen but have now turned round to come home again. She is so upset. Hope they resolve this soon.

My sister has just sent me a text from Fred Olsen Balmoral to say that her cruise has been cancelled due to the strike. They were on their way to Bergen but have now turned round to come home again. She is so upset. Hope they resolve this soon.

Aw no :( that's not good

On the P&O forum someone has contacted Fred Olsen and the latest info is that the cruise has not been cancelled. They just won't be going to Norway. Perhaps Fred hoped it would not happen as I think they would have had contingency plans ready?

There's going to be some mightily miffed people aboard the Balmoral. So unfair to small business in the little fjords towns too who are presumably dependent on a good number of cruise ships coming in what must be a very seasonal business.

I have not heard anymore from my sister, but there is now a statement from FO on the CC news page saying that the cruise is not cancelled, they are significantly amending the destinations and will advise when arrangements have been made. I too tracked it on AIS and it does look like it is heading towards Germany or Denmark but very slowly. At least they are not heading back to Southampton at the moment.

It says "more than 40 port pilots working in the Oslo Fjord were pulled off on strike". How does the Oslo Fjord area affect the ports on Fjord cruises?

Brian

Seems it has then. Re Bergen:(

I'm praying it will all be sorted out before our Grand Event cruise. It's not only us cruise passengers it will affect, but their oil industry etc. They surely can't afford for it to drag on too long.:(

Brian

A lot of head scratching going on at Carnival HO in Southampton now no doubt for Saturdays cruise. Send the ships somewhere else and not up north? (like Dublin, Cork Bilbo and Brest?), cancel or sail on and hope its sorted out before they get to the ports in Norway and hope for best? Any change of port means finding a berth and arranging tours very quickly ...?

A lot of head scratching going on at Carnival HO in Southampton now no doubt for Saturdays cruise. Send the ships somewhere else and not up north? (like Dublin, Cork Bilbo and Brest?), cancel or sail on and hope its sorted out before they get to the ports in Norway and hope for best? Any change of port means finding a berth and arranging tours very quickly ...?

I can't see them cancelling, more likely head North and see what happens.

Archived