Booze, Irons, Steamers and 'Naughty Room'

My wife and I went on the 5-6-2012 sailing of the Freedom of the Seas with both of sons and their spouses.

My older son (33) said he was going to pack some liquor in his bag to take onboard. 'Good luck!', I told him, but warned him of the consequences.

Sure enough, right around sailaway he received a phone call. He was to report to Deck 1 (the 'Naughty Room') because something was located in his bag.

On his way down, the elevator was filled with other guys all grinning because they were called for the same reason!

When he got to the security area, his bag had a piece of tape with a 'L' on it. "Sir, there appears to be some liquor in your bag. Could you please remove it for us?" He unzipped the bag, pulled out one of the two bottles and handed it over. "Thank you sir, you may now take your bag back to your cabin." (With the other bottle of booze!)

Back at the cabins, we were all enjoying a good laugh, when I received a similar call. They had found an iron in my bag and I was to report to the 'Naughty Room' myself!

Iron? Sorry, I've never taken an iron on any cruise. I figured this was going to be a fun 'adventure' and headed down.

When I got to the security area, my bag had a piece of tape on it with an 'I" on it. I showed him my Seapass card and I heard him mumble, "Diamond?", as if I should have known better. "Sir, there appears to be an iron in your bag. Could you please remove it for us?" I unzipped the bag, pulled out the travel steamer we carry and told him that I never carry an iron and all I had was the steamer. After additional review to confirm that it was a steamer and not an iron, I was told that it was not allowed and it will be confiscated. "What? That has never happened before!" "Sorry, it is not allowed."

Now, back at our cabins, my son was having a good laugh on me!

I checked with Guest Services, looked back at the Cruise Critic website and even called Royal Caribbean when I returned.

The Cruise Critic website is filled with:

1) definitely allowed

2) definitely prohibited

3) "I bought mine onboard"

4) not allowed, but never caught

5) "why bother, hang them in the bathroom" (plenty of room to do that!)

On a side note, the two cases of bottled water with our room tags on them showed up with no problems!

water.jpg

oh boy..wejust purchased a travel steamer because irons are banned...now we can't even bring a travel steamer????

No... you can take the travel steamer.

Just won't know what the 'policy' is the day you board the ship! :rolleyes:

My last cruise I was called down for a 12 pack of diet 7up, they thought it was beer though. When I pulled it out they seemed disappointed, they said that it? Then sent me on my way, actually I did get that piece of luggage quicker than one other though.

I've always traveled with my steamer and never had a problem, but I still pack/wrap my clothes in dry cleaner bags just in case my steamer does get taken. The bags help tremendously by keeping everything 95% wrinkle free.

They(security) is probably not 100% sure either on what is approved or not.

They don't look like the most well informed.

It's kind of luck of the draw who is working the scanner that day.

Ex: Call RC and ask a specific question.

Then call back 5 min later and ask the same question.

You will probably get 2 very different answers....

oh boy..wejust purchased a travel steamer because irons are banned...now we can't even bring a travel steamer????

I suggest that you pack it in your carry on as these bags are usually checked by port security prior to boarding the ship.

I am curious to know how "large" these travel steamers are that are getting confiscated! The little steamer I travel with is probably about 8" tall and I have never had any problems!

Probably about the same size:

photo-1.jpg

Put it in your carry on and see if it gets through.

Why in the name of all that is good would you want to take an iron on vacation. Iron's mean work, it is worth the small price you pay to let the ship press the garment for you. Quit working and enjoy your vacation.

P.S. I have little sympathy for those who try to smuggle stuff on board the ship, do so at your own peril.

Archived