Has anyone ordered a formal online from a made-to-order website?

Hi Drew's Wife,

I do love your gowns and dresses. You have a wonderful weekend too. Yes, I have been shopping; I am searching for a wedding gown :).

Marie

Details Please!!!:) You know how we all love weddings here on CC! Is there somthing that you are keeping a secret from us? You know women and weddings, my curiosity is in overdrive!!!:)

Details Please!!!:) You know how we all love weddings here on CC! Is there somthing that you are keeping a secret from us? You know women and weddings' date=' my curiosity is in overdrive!!!:)[/b']

LOL...Yes we are getting married on the Queen Mary2 on March 27-2013. We have been together for 12 years. In our eyes, family and friends we are married, but in the eyes of God & the law we are not. After my accident last year we dicided ot make of official :):D.

Marie

LOL...Yes we are getting married on the Queen Mary2 on March 27-2013. We have been together for 12 years. In our eyes, family and friends we are married, but in the eyes of God & the law we are not. After my accident last year we dicided ot make of official :):D.

Marie

Well may I offer my congratulations to you both!! I know you are very excited and the wedding will be just as beautiful as you are! Please keep us posted and of course we would love to see pictures of dresses that you have in mind!:);)

Marie

Congratulations, Marie. You will make a beautiful bride. Can't wait to see your wedding gown.

LOL...Yes we are getting married on the Queen Mary2 on March 27-2013. We have been together for 12 years. In our eyes, family and friends we are married, but in the eyes of God & the law we are not. After my accident last year we dicided to make it official :):D.

Marie

Fixed :)

Marie

Congrats!! what ever dress you pick would be fabulous

Marie

My congratulations to you Marie, and your husband to be. You make a beautiful couple!

Congrats Marie!

And, I've never ordered any custom formal wear from any of the online vendors, but have admired those who have. I would like to see large images of items purchased by Sherri, as the images are quite small that I can't use those as a selling point.

And unfortunately some of the large retailers and clothing manufacturers AGB, INC Concepts and M. Kors (lower end line), have started to use more lower quality fabrics and I have been disappointed with them. Peter Nygard... love! I said this to say, the bottom line is tightening and quality is starting to lack across the board. You just have to inspect your items closely.

Congratulations Marie. Can't wait to see more pictures.

I actually ordered a wedding gown from a site that Sherrie told me about & it's beautiful & fit perfect. I will try to get a picture posted soon so everyone can see it. I haven't worn it yet as I'm saving it for our 35th. anniversary cruise in 2014! :D

I actually ordered a wedding gown from a site that Sherrie told me about & it's beautiful & fit perfect. I will try to get a picture posted soon so everyone can see it. I haven't worn it yet as I'm saving it for our 35th. anniversary cruise in 2014! :D[/quote

Thank you IrishLasssie,

Yes, please do post a picture of your gown. I would love to see it. By the way, I love the dress you wore on your last cruise with your daughters. I also love your flower bracelet. I have a ring with a flower just like it.

Anyway, I think this gown is very pretty. I have been looking for it in the last four days but unable to find it.

Take care & have a great day.

M

7339721702_d98b858e85.jpg

Marie, your post really said exactly what I have been thinking, in the sense that most things are made in China anyway. I've had a thyroid problem the past few years, and my formal night dresses no longer fit. Since we are cruising next year and plan to cruise once a year, I decided I would get a few dresses that I could rotate.

During the same few year span I experienced a weight gain, I started paying close attention to color. Also, due to having a different shape, I had to rethink the styles I wear a bit.

I started looking in every store I could find, and what surprised at how expensive everything was and how little selection there was. I decided to take the risk and order from Lightinthebox, a China based company that has custom dresses. I know you have indicated you didn't have good luck with this particular company, but I have done very well with them.

I now have three dresses - the exact style, color and size I needed. I can't say enough good things. They are made extremely well, and I was able to get what I wanted. Nothing in the stores came close, and they were all China made and marked up drastically. For me, it makes perfect sense.

I can't guarantee every company will give you the same results, but they are well worth the try. Make sure you take your measurements first, and order properly. If I had to buy from the stores here, I would still have no dresses. I keep looking, but I'm not finding a thing, even above my price range.

I guess we all have had different experiences.

Oops, sorry, it was Sherri that said that! I think my point has been that I have had a different experience. I felt that if I was going to try and go on a cruise once a year, I didn't want to wear the exact same dresses every year...boring formal night pictures, don't you think?

I have a tight budget, so I gave it a try. I have three great dresses. I have yet to find anything that comes close.

I am hoping to look in a few local wedding dress stores here soon as well. My online purchases were very well thought out as to style and color, and what would likely fit best. I do enjoy being able try things on too.

I have two of the dresses out being hemmed. When they are back, I will try and take some pictures.

Oops, sorry, it was Sherri that said that! I think my point has been that I have had a different experience. I felt that if I was going to try and go on a cruise once a year, I didn't want to wear the exact same dresses every year...boring formal night pictures, don't you think?

I have a tight budget, so I gave it a try. I have three great dresses. I have yet to find anything that comes close.

I am hoping to look in a few local wedding dress stores here soon as well. My online purchases were very well thought out as to style and color, and what would likely fit best. I do enjoy being able try things on too.

I have two of the dresses out being hemmed. When they are back, I will try and take some pictures.

I haven't ordered from Light in the Box, but I have looked at their website several time....actually have been looking at this dress for several weeks! Now that I have heard a good report and that you like your dresses, I may just be ordering this one before long. Hope this link works.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/a-line-v-neck-tea-length-chiffon-cocktail-dress_p205816.html?utm_source=sharemail#.T9AGlo9KCpM.email

I actually ordered a wedding gown from a site that Sherrie told me about & it's beautiful & fit perfect. I will try to get a picture posted soon so everyone can see it. I haven't worn it yet as I'm saving it for our 35th. anniversary cruise in 2014! :D[/quote

Thank you IrishLasssie,

Yes, please do post a picture of your gown. I would love to see it. By the way, I love the dress you wore on your last cruise with your daughters. I also love your flower bracelet. I have a ring with a flower just like it.

Anyway, I think this gown is very pretty. I have been looking for it in the last four days but unable to find it.

M

Beautiful dress Marie....do you know the designer? Did you find it in a wedding magazine or online? I really like the way it looks with the shawl over it....At first glance I thought it was made this way and thought how beautiful that portrait neckline is..then i realized it was a halter style with the shawl...either way it will be beautiful....If you find out the designer, I'm sure someone on here will help look for it.....:);)

M

Beautiful dress! I love the illusion with the strapless silhouette. I'd suggest maybe sending this picture to RK Bridal in NYC, they may be able to help identify the dress and maker. They were helpful to my brides locate their dream dresses as well.

Knowing you, you've already got it covered. Take care.

I love shopping in Hong Kong. All the shops on Canton Street are always pack with people and usually a que outside. Most of the shoppers are from the mainland China. According to them; they like the real things. Go figure.

I just got back from HK (hence the early morning post)...blows my mind how many people line up to get in these shops. Don't you find the pricing to be higher than US prices? I found Burberry items to be 40% higher than US prices, Coach about 20%, Michael Kors about 30% higher, etc. I love to look in HK, but I don't buy.

I hate walking down Nathan Road...you get inundated with men yelling "copy watches, copy bags." I keep walking, but some can get really aggressive.

Regarding fakes, I went to the lady's market Tues night. I go for the experience, and I do like the inexpensive artwork and souvenirs, though I didn't buy anything this time. I won't buy fakes. My coworker was looking at fake Louis Vuittons, Prada, Chanel, etc...such poor workmanship, materials, etc...don't understand the appeal of these counterfeit bags.

Thank you Burm, Alrana Eris, Lee 150 & Divas Dare. We are very excited :):D.

Take care and have a great day :)

Marie

Hello Marie Well it looks like your great secret is well and truly out. I have been lurking on this board for a while now and even though we have only " talked " on the QM2 Roll Call I was wondering if you had let all your good friends over on here know, about your wedding. I feel a bit guilty as I will be on board the day of your wedding and hopefully will get to see you in all your finery. We join the QM2 on the 26th March if you remember at Freemantle.

I guess everyone over here will be delighted for you.

Speak Soon

Marlene

Thank you IrishLasssie,

M

So sorry it took me so long to get back to you, Marie. I still haven't taken a picture of the dress, but it's actually one that was posted on here a long time ago & I found it on ebay! I will look for the post & copy it here so you can see it. Also, thank you for the nice compliment about my dress & "flower bracelet". My DIL (the one in the "blue" cocktail dress) actually gave it to me a few years ago for Christmas.

I LOVE the dress you found, so good luck try to locate it. :D

IrishLassie-Judy,

Very, VERY pretty. Nice to see something other than strapless for a change.:)

Thank you. I was finally able to try it on & have my girlfriend who was visiting last week, lace me up (I don't want my DH to see it yet). It fits perfect & I just LOVE IT! I did forget to take my picture in it tho!! :eek: I think I only paid $156. for it! :D

Archived