Has anyone ordered a formal online from a made-to-order website?

I've been looking for a formal to order on-line since we live in a small town and what we have available isn't much. I keep seeing websites with beautiful gowns at great prices, they will custom tailor it to your measurements and you get to pick from dozens of colors - it sounds great, but I'm pretty sure there is no returning it if they do what you ask and you decide you just don't like it. The time issue is okay since we still have about six weeks. I just dread driving to the 'big city' three hours away to shop for a dress, but I also dread getting something I don't feel great in. Any insight into how you find your dresses would be appreciated.

I've been looking for a formal to order on-line since we live in a small town and what we have available isn't much. I keep seeing websites with beautiful gowns at great prices, they will custom tailor it to your measurements and you get to pick from dozens of colors - it sounds great, but I'm pretty sure there is no returning it if they do what you ask and you decide you just don't like it. The time issue is okay since we still have about six weeks. I just dread driving to the 'big city' three hours away to shop for a dress, but I also dread getting something I don't feel great in. Any insight into how you find your dresses would be appreciated.

There is no way in the world I would buy a fancy dress on line, certainly not from a retailer with an unknown customer service reputation. Even if they don't do what you ask and it comes in looking (or fitting) entirely different than you expected, the hassle of returns (even IF they're allowed) wouldn't be worth it to me. If I'm going to dress up, I want to know I look and feel good before I buy it, not hope I'll look and feel good after I buy it.

Although I live in a 'big city', I'm an unusually shaped plus size woman, so finding clothes I like that fit me properly isn't easy for me - though finding a good tailor has been a wonderful thing. Expensive, but very helpful.

My niece ordered her wedding dress from one of these companies. While the dress fit, it wasn't quite as it appeared online. After putting it on she realised she would need considerable alterations to make it fit the way she wanted and the fabric wasn't as substantial as she had hoped, so she wound up selling it on eBay (they would have reworked the dress but there wasn't time) and buying a dress from a regular store. Of course most people want their wedding dress to be absolutely perfect so perhaps the exact fit wouldn't matter as much for a formal.

Now I have a friend who has purchased suits when in Hong Kong (I think it was Hong Kong?) and they were really inexpensive, well made, and they fit right. But the difference was that she was fitted in their store and she actually felt the fabric and lining before ordering.

I guess if the price is right then I'd probably go for it, but I'd triple check all of the measurements and see if I could possibly get a fabric sample before submitting the order.

I buy alot of my clothes online, but usually from major retailers. Most of them have easy exchange policies where you print out a return label and drop the package off at UPS or USPS. As far as the "custom" dresses you are talking about, I have read mostly negative reviews, often stating that the gowns don't look nearly as good as the photos.

Yes I did. I ordered three gowns from Light in the Box for my 2009 cruise. They came and they went straight to the trash can. The fabric was cheap and workmanship was poor. I would never order from them again. You pay for what you get.

I do order gowns from New York dresses and TJ formal, but only from a certain designer like Mac Duggal, Tony Bowls, Nicole Bakti and Mon Cheri Montage. They used good quality fabric and the size accurate. These two shops DO NOT accept return.

I love shopping, but only online. I usually order from Neiman Marcus, Saks, Bloomingdale and Nordstrom. They usually have free shipping and you can return anything. I also shop at http://www.net-a-porter.com and http://www.theoutnet.com . They are the same company.

Good luck & happy shopping.

M

P.S. Neiman Marcus is havning 40% off on dresses and gowns. I bought three gowns and four dresses for my next cruise.

I ordered other clothes online but not a formal dress. I learned the number sizes don't matter different designers either want you to buy a bigger or smaller size. Have you tried your local bridal store. They may have something.

I'm the city gal who doesn't clothes shopping much. 3 hours to the city?

http://www.newyorkdress.com is a very good company if you want to shop online. I seen their showroom on 37th street, its HUGE. (The dance studio I take lessons at is 3 doors down )

Light in the box some of their stuff is not good or iffy quality.

The best advice I can tell you if you buy online, find a good local tailor or seamstress to do any alterations needed. I find a good tailor or seamstress is so worth the money.

Yes I did. I ordered three gowns from Light in the Box for my 2009 cruise. They came and they went straight to the trash can. The fabric was cheap and workmanship was poor. I would never order from them again. You pay for what you get.

Yes, this is a company in China, doing business under many other names. They illegally steal pictures from the original designer's webpages and post them on their page. Then they sell you cheap knock-offs. Stay far away from them.

As others have said, you get what you pay for.

Don't order your dress online from China. They steal images and designs from dress designers. There is this one seller on eBay, Beautifly, who has stolen several of Sherri Hill's dresses. She has a picture of the Sherri Hill dress as the first image, but if you click on the listing, there are additional images of her version of the dress, which is very low-quality and of inexpensive material. These aren't just cheap dresses. They are fakes, and their production is illegal. By purchasing these dresses or other fake goods, you are contributing to the crime.

Also, keep in mind that you don't really know who is making your dress - for all you know, it's poor little children working in a Chinese sweatshop (yes, fake goods are made in sweatshops). Read this article to put things in perspective - http://www.harpersbazaar.com/magazine/feature-articles/the-fight-against-fakes-0109_

I haven't ever used the made to order in china shops... but I also can't bring myself to spend a ton of money on a dress. I use websites like http://www.simplydresses.com/ for my online shopping since they have many designs in the $100 range.

This company is owned by promgirl.com who has some good advice about online ordering:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/apr/29/ripped-off-for-prom/?print=1

Oh my goodness! You are all so very helpful! :D

I guess I must have had a bad gut feeling about the made-to-order sites, and I'm glad to hear from some of you who know first hand. I will stay away from those.

I'm going to check out ALL of the websites you all have mentioned. I did find a dress earlier at the Macy's website that I like, but am having a hard time committing by pushing the 'buy' button. I guess I just need to check out the return policies before I do. Considering the cost of my time, gas, etc., paying to return items may not be such a bad deal.

We have a couple of higher-end privately owned shops here in town, as well as a couple of bridal shops that I've never been in, so who knows what I'll find, or not find, there. I'm probably going to end up making the trip to Albuquerque at some point anyway because I'll probably need new shoes as well.

Thanks again!

I did find a dress earlier at the Macy's website that I like, but am having a hard time committing by pushing the 'buy' button. I guess I just need to check out the return policies before I do. Considering the cost of my time, gas, etc., paying to return items may not be such a bad deal.

You can usually return anything to Macy's by mail.

Doesn't Drew'sWife order from a made to measure site? She seems to be very happy with everything she gets. Maybe she will see this thread and chime in with her experience. Can't remeber the site.

Hi C,

I stayed up untill 2:00 this morning. I like the first gown more. I am going to get a hair cut. Ken BD is next week. We are going to Las Vegas for four days. Talk to you later.

MLTY

M

My daughter-in-law got her wedding dress and the bridesmaid dresses from a chinese online site. We all held our breath, but her dress was actually very nice. (The free slip and veil were awful). The bridesmaid dresses were supposed to be hunter green but when they showed up they were bright apple green! It was too late to do anything else but they fit and oddly enough everyone decided the color was quite lovely for a spring wedding. So I wouldn't say I recommend it, just that sometimes it turns out okay.

Okay...so I went to the only two stores in town that sell formal dresses (I went to Dillard's, too, but they had only two in my size and both were stinkers) and had more fun than I had expected. I decided that strapless is actually flattering and not scary like I had imagined! Now that I've tried some on, I totally agree that I would not have been happy just ordering online and see what happens. I fit into three different sizes, depending on the cut and who makes it. I can see how some may need minor alterations, but at least I can see what needs to be done. Now to get over sticker shock on some of them! :eek:

Okay...so I went to the only two stores in town that sell formal dresses (I went to Dillard's, too, but they had only two in my size and both were stinkers) and had more fun than I had expected. I decided that strapless is actually flattering and not scary like I had imagined! Now that I've tried some on, I totally agree that I would not have been happy just ordering online and see what happens. I fit into three different sizes, depending on the cut and who makes it. I can see how some may need minor alterations, but at least I can see what needs to be done. Now to get over sticker shock on some of them! :eek:

Prices should be comming down (sales) since prom season is wrapping up and that is their biggest selling time :)

Doesn't Drew'sWife order from a made to measure site? She seems to be very happy with everything she gets. Maybe she will see this thread and chime in with her experience. Can't remeber the site.

Hi there ladies! Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been on lately, just so busy at work. Just got home yesterday from visiting all my family in Nashville. Saw this post and thought I would jump in here.

I have a closet full of these dresses...Last count was 15 evening gowns. I have to say that I have been more than pleased with all the dresses. Only one dress that I had a slight problem with and that is the latest one that I ordered. The bow was larger than I expected, but that was taken care of with a little pair of tweezing scizzors...snip the little stiches and it came right off..the dress is wonderful now.

I went in my closet to check some things before I posted this....I wanted to be sure before I posted something that was inaccurate. I only found one dress that was made in America....I bought it at Bealls right before Easter. Just a black and white polka dot dress for Church...then I looked through all of my cocktail dresses....Alex Evening...that I paid $150.00 for our last cruise....made in China!! The Maggy London dresses that I love so much...actually have over a dozen of these in the same syle, different colors....Made in China! Suzi Chin designs...made in China..I bought five dresses last week...I love the Julian Taylor/New York....styles that work well for me....Did I say New York....That's right Julian Taylor/New York, but they are made in China....Others I checked were made in the Phillipines, Malaysia, the Dominian Republic and the classic jackets that I buy are made in Guatemala.

Shoes are the same way. I checked some of those....I love Nina shoes...most of them are such pretty feminine styles...I have several, all made in China....The dress that I bought at David's Bridals and the shoes for our vow renewal....all made in China....

If you look carefully, the desinger labels that you buy at Macys, Dillards, etc, are most litely made in China, or another foreign country.

I consider myself to be very frugal and these dresses are relatively inexpensive so if I wear them once or twice, I have more than gotten my moneys worth. I think the dresses that I have purchaed have been very well made, but the best part is the amazing customer service that I have experienced with them...I would certainly recommend them if you want a dress that is made to your measurements, and you need something quick and doesn't cost a lot.

Hope this helps curb anyone that might have fears about these sites....just be very specific with your information and ask questions. Make sure that there are no hidden charges as the made to order dresses are non-returnable. Check different web sites to see which has the best deals and the best shipping. I only use two sites, but I have my eye on another one now that I may be using in the near future!:)

If anyone has any questions, I will be more than glad to help if I can....Have a wonderful evening.:):):)

Hi there ladies! Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been on lately' date=' just so busy at work. Just got home yesterday from visiting all my family in Nashville. Saw this post and thought I would jump in here.[/b']

I have a closet full of these dresses...Last count was 15 evening gowns. I have to say that I have been more than pleased with all the dresses. Only one dress that I had a slight problem with and that is the latest one that I ordered. The bow was larger than I expected, but that was taken care of with a little pair of tweezing scizzors...snip the little stiches and it came right off..the dress is wonderful now.

I went in my closet to check some things before I posted this....I wanted to be sure before I posted something that was inaccurate. I only found one dress that was made in America....I bought it at Bealls right before Easter. Just a black and white polka dot dress for Church...then I looked through all of my cocktail dresses....Alex Evening...that I paid $150.00 for our last cruise....made in China!! The Maggy London dresses that I love so much...actually have over a dozen of these in the same syle, different colors....Made in China! Suzi Chin designs...made in China..I bought five dresses last week...I love the Julian Taylor/New York....styles that work well for me....Did I say New York....That's right Julian Taylor/New York, but they are made in China....Others I checked were made in the Phillipines, Malaysia, the Dominian Republic and the classic jackets that I buy are made in Guatemala.

Shoes are the same way. I checked some of those....I love Nina shoes...most of them are such pretty feminine styles...I have several, all made in China....The dress that I bought at David's Bridals and the shoes for our vow renewal....all made in China....

If you look carefully, the desinger labels that you buy at Macys, Dillards, etc, are most litely made in China, or another foreign country.

I consider myself to be very frugal and these dresses are relatively inexpensive so if I wear them once or twice, I have more than gotten my moneys worth. I think the dresses that I have purchaed have been very well made, but the best part is the amazing customer service that I have experienced with them...I would certainly recommend them if you want a dress that is made to your measurements, and you need something quick and doesn't cost a lot.

Hope this helps curb anyone that might have fears about these sites....just be very specific with your information and ask questions. Make sure that there are no hidden charges as the made to order dresses are non-returnable. Check different web sites to see which has the best deals and the best shipping. I only use two sites, but I have my eye on another one now that I may be using in the near future!:)

If anyone has any questions, I will be more than glad to help if I can....Have a wonderful evening.:):):)

Hi Drew Wife's

Department stores have quality control. If it doesn't meet the quality it doesn't leave the factory. If you order direct from China, you will get what you paid.

M

Hi Drew Wife's

Department stores have quality control. If it doesn't meet the quality it doesn't leave the factory. If you order direct from China, you will get what you paid.

M

I agree, in a perfect scenario it would work that way....I have worked for a major retailer for the last 15 years....I won't mention the name of the company, but they are tops in their field....however I find something everyday that has to be credited for obvious reasons. All we do is give the retailer credit, throw it away and pass the cost on to the consumer.

My mother worked in the garment industry for years until the unions came in and forced all the industry overseas. For those back in the 70's that remember the Bobbie Brooks skirts and sweaters...I'm dating myself..:rolleyes::)

Well the company that she worked for had the contracts to several major retailers...if they wanted 12 dozen size small and they only had 6 dozen in stock....the bosses ordered them to put small tags in medium or large shirts and send them out. I just bought five really nice dresses this past week from Bealls to wear to Church, and yet they were still not perfect...nothing is no matter what the price... sad to say and it isn't right,:( but working in retail for so many years, I have seen what does actually go in and out of the stores.

I'm still really pleased with the dresses that I have purchased from these two sites, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again or recommend them to others.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend and go do a little shopping!!!:);)

I agree' date=' in a perfect scenario it would work that way....I have worked for a major retailer for the last 15 years....I won't mention the name of the company, but they are tops in their field....however I find something everyday that has to be credited for obvious reasons. All we do is give the retailer credit, throw it away and pass the cost on to the consumer.[/b']

My mother worked in the garment industry for years until the unions came in and forced all the industry overseas. For those back in the 70's that remember the Bobbie Brooks skirts and sweaters...I'm dating myself..:rolleyes::)

Well the company that she worked for had the contracts to several major retailers...if they wanted 12 dozen size small and they only had 6 dozen in stock....the bosses ordered them to put small tags in medium or large shirts and send them out. I just bought five really nice dresses this past week from Bealls to wear to Church, and yet they were still not perfect...nothing is no matter what the price... sad to say and it isn't right,:( but working in retail for so many years, I have seen what does actually go in and out of the stores.

I'm still really pleased with the dresses that I have purchased from these two sites, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again or recommend them to others.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend and go do a little shopping!!!:);)

Hi Drew's Wife,

I do love your gowns and dresses. You have a wonderful weekend too. Yes, I have been shopping; I am searching for a wedding gown :).

Marie

Hi Drew Wife's

M

Totally agree. There is a big difference purchasing a "Made in China" dress from a US store, where you can inspect it before purchase and know what you are getting. Buying online from one of these places, you have absolutely no idea what you will be receiving.

Archived