Question for those who have eaten in alternative restaurants

I've heard that most people are very satisfied with the alternative restaurants and worth the $25 pp charge. My questions are:

1) Do you tip or is it included?

2) What do you think is the "best" entree?

3) Is it true there is dancing (i was told this at work but only half believe it)

4) Anyone have a menu to share?

Thanks

I've heard that most people are very satisfied with the alternative restaurants and worth the $25 pp charge. My questions are:

3) Is it true there is dancing (i was told this at work but only half believe it)

Thanks

I honestly can't remember the tip. Maybe my folks did the tipping, not sure.

I don't know what the "best" entree is but the filet mignon was to die for.

The guests can get up and go to the dance floor between courses. Many did this. The meal takes about 2 1/2 or 3 hours.

Sorry, no menu.

Yes it is included but we gave them an additional $25. The food was great as the service. In fact it was the best food all week. I had the lobster tail and it was great.. DH had one of the steaks. There is dancing.

Make supper club reservations right after you board. There will be someone in the supper club and at that point and the reservations will be wide open. You can also pick your table. Our favorite spot is on the second level, overlooking the dance floor and entertainment. You get a view outside and can see the singers too.

I tip an extra $15-$20.

Skip the surf-n-turf combo, instead, get a porterhouse for one person and a lobster for the other (the surf-n-turf combo is too small.)

Enjoy,

Lou

Thanks

This is a menu for 19 Oct 2004 for "Nick and Nora's Supper Club" on the Carnival Miracle.

My wife Derfette had the Veal Chop

And I had the Porterhouse Steak

We both felt it was well worth the $25.00 additional charge.

Starters

TRIO OF ESCARGOTS

Baked in Brioche, Wrapped in Rice Paper and Classic Bourguignonne

BEEF CARPACCIO

Sliced Raw Beef Tenderloin with Shaved Parmesan Cheese Marinated Mache Lettuce

SUSHI PLATTER

Ahi Tuna, Shrimp and Unagi with Pickled Ginger and Wasabi

ICED RUSSIAN CAVIAR

1 oz. of Sevruga Caviar with Traditional Condiments and Buckwheat Blinis An Extra $29.00 Charge will Apply

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

Colossal Black Tiger Prawns with American Cocktail Sauce

NEW ENGLAND CRAB CAKE On Roasted Pepper Remoulade

LOBSTER BISQUE WITH VINTAGE COGNAC Fleuron and Fresh Cream

BAKED ONION SOUP “LES HALLES”

A Parisian Classic

Salads

CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD

Hearts of Romaine Lettuce, Traditionally Prepared

BABY LEAF SPINACH AND FRESH MUSHROOMS

With blue cheese, warm bacon dressing.

TOSSED GARDEN SALAD

Greens, Radicchio, Tomato Wedges, Purple Onion Rings and Watercress Choice of House, Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing

Side Dishes

BAKED POTATO WITH TRIMMINGS

SAUTEED MEDLEY OF FRESH MUSHROOMS

YUKON GOLD MASH WITH WASABI HORSERADISH

SPAGHETTI WITH FRESH TOMATO SAUCE

GRILLED FRESH VEGETABLES IN SEASON

CREAMED SPINACH WITH GARLIC

Entrees

Our Steaks Are Hand Selected and Aged for 30 Days to Our Specifications. Carefully Handled and Perfectly Cooked.

BROILED NEW YORK STRIPLOIN STEAK

14 0Z. Of the Favorite Cut for Steak Connoisseurs

CLASSIC PORTERHOUSE STEAK

Combines the Full Flavor of the Strip Loin with the Tenderness of the

'Tenderloin

24 0Z. of the Best from Both Worlds

BROILED FILET MIGNON

9 OZ. for Ihe True gourmet

SURF & TURF

Seared Lobster Tail over Tomato Confit

Grilled Filet: Mignon over Cardamom Braised Carrots, Pumpkin Ravioli

ALASKAN KING CRAB CLAWS

Served Cold, with Drawn Butter and Roasted Pepper Remoulade

CHILEAN SEA BASS

Lobster Nage Braised Sea Bass over Young Spinach and Mango Salad

BROILED LOBSTER TAIL

Served With Drawn Butter

BROILED SUPREME OF FREE RANGE CHICKEN

With Blackberry- Port Wine Reduction

GRILLED LAMB CHOPS

Double-Cut Lamb Chops

Served on Five Bean Cassoulet and Rosemary Jus

BROILED PROVIMI VEAL CHOP

Center- Cut from the Highest Grade Milk-Fed Veal

Sauces Available

THREE PEPPERCORN SAUCE

WILD MUSHROOM SAUCE

SAUCE BEARNAISE

Desserts

WARM FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE

Served with Homemade Ice Cream

SYMPHONY OF MOUSSES

Dark and White Chocolate, Orange and Mocha

TRIO OF CREME BRULLEE

Served with Sugar Tuiles and phyllo cigar

FRESH FRUITS

Assembly of Tropical Fruits and berries in Season, Served with Homemade Sherbet

SELECTION OF INTERNATIONAL CHEESES

Beverages

FRESHLY BREWED COFFEE

Regular or Decaffeinated

TEA AND HERBAL TEAS

Dessert Wines

QUADY ELECTRA, CALIFORNIA $ 3. 75 WEISSER RIESLING, SOUTH AFRICA $5.75

After Dinner Drinks

GRAHAM'S SIX GRAPE 5.25 Dow's 20 YEAR TAWNY $9.95

Dow' S VINTAGE PORT, '85 $12.95

DE MONTAL ARMAGNAC SPECIAL RESERVE $8.75

HARDY, V. S . a. P . $5.75

HARDY, X. a . $9.50

CLES DES Ducs ARMAGNAC, V. S . a . P. 6.00

PINAR DEL RIO, GAUTIER x.a. 9.95

HENNESSY, X. a . 11.00

MARTELL CORDON BLEU 10.00

HENNESSY PARADIS 35. 00

COURVOISIER X. a. 11.00

REMY MARTIN LOUIS XI I I 95.00

We are cruising on the Pride in June and I believe they have one of these supper clubs. Is it possible to make reservations ahead of time, or can they only be made once we board the ship?

Unlike shore excursions, which can now be made ahead of time - you can only make the supper club reservations after you are on the ship.

We will be dining at Nick&Nora's (Miracle) 5 times this July, so I will then be able to compare many different choices there (but.. you sail in June). Thus far, my #1 choice would be : (starters included...)

Beef Carpaccio

Sliced Raw Beef Tenderloin with Shaved Parmesan Cheese on Marinated Mache Lettuce

----------------------------------

Baby Leaf Spinach and Fresh Oyster Mushrooms

With Blue Cheese, Warm Bacon Dressing

Grilled Lamp Chops

Double-Cut Lamp Chops Served on Five Bean Cassoulet and Rosemary Jus

Yukon Gold mashed potatoes with wasabi horseradish

Enjoy!!!

Tom

Derfette an I just got up and started dancing between courses. We were the only ones at first but another couple joined us for a foresome.

Regarding tipping in shipboard alternate dining venues:

From my understanding, the extra service charge IS THE TIP. All of your food is already included in the price of your cruise fare, so to tip on top of the extra fee you are already being charged, is doubling their tip.

Please understand I used to be a waitress (TGIFRIDAYS) and I am a VERY generous tipper, but to me, to tip, or making a passenger FEEL as though they should be tipping more on top of an already übergenerous service charge is misappropriation at best, fraud at worst. Think about it. A couple, dining out and leaving a $50 tip, if it was a 20% tip, the bill would have been $250 (NOT including alcohol).

If you order wine, or cocktails, the tip is already included in the price by the cruiseline for your convenience.

Just my two cents. Yes I think these people are underpaid, and deserve all they get, and I always give extra at the end of the cruise when it is deserved, but tipping on top of a steep service charge to me is highseas robbery.

the extra service charge IS THE TIP. All of your food is already included in the price of your cruise fare, so to tip on top of the extra fee you are already being charged, is doubling their tip.

I keep telling Derfette that but she tips anyway. She tips as if were she were paying for the whole price. She figures the meal is worth 100 for two so she tips $20. She's crazy.

Thanks

We tipped extra on top because it was sooo good! The service was excellant, the food divine.

Hubby and I both ate the 24oz Porterhouse in Nick & Noras...FANTABULOUS! I ate the whole thing...I couldn't stop.

We danced three or four times between course, there was a live band and singer...

I don't have a menu, but there is one posted somewhere.

Stef

Regarding tipping in shipboard alternate dining venues:

From my understanding, the extra service charge IS THE TIP. All of your food is already included in the price of your cruise fare, so to tip on top of the extra fee you are already being charged, is doubling their tip.

Please understand I used to be a waitress (TGIFRIDAYS) and I am a VERY generous tipper, but to me, to tip, or making a passenger FEEL as though they should be tipping more on top of an already übergenerous service charge is misappropriation at best, fraud at worst. Think about it. A couple, dining out and leaving a $50 tip, if it was a 20% tip, the bill would have been $250 (NOT including alcohol).

If you order wine, or cocktails, the tip is already included in the price by the cruiseline for your convenience.

Just my two cents. Yes I think these people are underpaid, and deserve all they get, and I always give extra at the end of the cruise when it is deserved, but tipping on top of a steep service charge to me is highseas robbery.

Hubby and I were pricing the meal as we went, and we figured, a la carte at prices we are used to seeing at premiere steakhouses, we easily ate a $200-$250 meal. Between the starters, the salads, the steak, the sides, and the desserts, it was way worth it. Our additional $15 tip on top of our service charge was quite acceptable to us.

Stef

New menu as of February 2005. Notice no more crab legs and the desserts are all new. Supper clubs are only on Spirit class and Conquest class ships.

(funny but when I asked the hostess about the price--is that the tip she said no. much information about the $25.00 fee going around about it being the tip or not. You will be surprised on how many people do not tip in the supper club because they think the 25. is the tip. We were also told that we can not order more then one of each per person-- but on other nights people were allowed to do so...(ex-got two starters soup and crab cakes as a starter- we were told that we would have to pay 25.00 more. I think Carnival should get across the board with that rule.

STARTERS

TRIO OF ESCARGOTS

Baked in Brioche, wrapped iin rice paper and

classic Bourguignone

BEEF CARPACCIO

Sliced raw beef tenderloins with shaved parmesan cheese

marinated Mache Lettuce

SHUSHI PLATTER

Ahi Tune, Salmon, Shrim and Unagi with Pickled ginger and Wasabi

ICED RUSSIAN CAVIAR

1oz of Suvruga Cavier with tradional condiments and buckwheat blinis

an Extra $29.00 charge will apply

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

Colossal black tiger prawns with american cockatail sauce

NEW ENGLAND CRAB CAKE

on Roasted pepper Remoulade

LOBSTER BISQUE WITH VINTAGE COGNAC

Fleuron & Fresh cream

BAKED ONION SOUP "LES HALLES"

a parisian Classic

SALADS

CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD

Hearts of Romaine Lettuce, traditionally prepared

BABY LEAF SPINACH AND FRESH MUSHROOMS

with blue cheese , warm bacon dressing

TOSSED GARDEN SALAD

Greens, radicchio, tomato wedges, Purple onion rings and watercress

Choice of House, Ranch, or bleu cheese dressing

SIDE DISHES

Baked Potato with trimmings

Sauteed medley of fresh mushroomsYukon old mash with Wasabi Harseradish

Spaghetti with fresh tomoato sauce

Grilled fresh vegetables in season

Creamed Spinach with garlic

ENTREES

BROILED NEW YORK STRIP LOIN STEAK

14oz of the favorite cut for steak connoisseurs

CLASSIC PORTER HOUSE STEAK

24oz of the best from both worlds

BROILED FILET MIGNON

9ox for the true Gourmet

CHILEAN SEA BASS

Lobster Nage-braised sea bass over young spinac and mango salad

BROILED LOBSTER TAIL

served with drawn butter

BROILED SUPREME OF FREE RANGE CHICKEN

with blackberry port wine reduction

GRILLED LAMB CHOPS

double cut lamb chops

served on five-bean cassoulet and rosemary jus

BROILED PROVIMI VEAL CHOP

center cut from the highest greade milk fed veal

SAUCES AVAILABLE

three-peppercorn sauce

wild mushroom sauce

sauce bearnaise.

CITRUS CHEESECAKE WITH HAZELNUT BUSCUIT

Burnt basmati and Mango Ravioli with almosd and marcarpose jam

WASHINGTON APPLE TARTE TARTIN

served with chocolate and leon balm salad

CHOCOLATE TARTE WITH BITER CHOCOLATE PATE

rasberry & pineapple croquant, tiramisu notre facon

FRESH FRUITS

assembly of tropical fruits and berries in seasonserved with homemade sherbet

SELECTION OF INTERNATIONAL CHEESES

I think the extra 25.00,( & a portion is for tip) is for the food, the lobster is not what you get in the main dinning room. The sides that you get with the meal do not come close to what you get in the main dinning, no to mention the portions We tipped extra.

Wow, this board works fast. The menus for the supper club look great. One more question - will they fill up so fast that we would need to make all of our reservations for multiple nights on the first day?

We went straight up stairs and booked as soon as we got on the boat. Folks who were trying to book later in the week were finding that it was sold out.

Has anyone found that certain nights are better than others? For instance, do you try to get reservations for at-sea days rather than days in port? Also, would it be worth booking the supper club on a formal night, or would you rather eat in the main dining room on those nights?

Thanks,

Keith

WE booked our first dinner at the Pointe for the second formal night & we went back on Sat. night,( had I gone there before Thursday I would have dinned there more). On the second formal night there were more employees having dinner at the Pointe than guests.

We are going with a group (7 in all) and want to dine together every evening. Does anyone know if there are tables to accommodate a group or is it just tables for 2 or 4?

Thanks![/quote

There should be enough seating so you can all sit together. We saw parties of * & more

As for better nights, we're going to try for the first night - the night we sail. This has proven to be the BEST NIGHT EVER for Sabatini's on Princess' ships simply because they never fill up, so they tend to fuss over us even more than normal. ("Can't decide on your entrée? We'll bring both....") We're hoping it will be the same at David's.

:D

I have only eaten at the supper club on the Glory.

Dancing- none. They didn't even have a musician, just muzak.

Ambience- Poor. They have curtains over the windows (So joggers can't see you). It is a bit confining. This is in contrast to Portofinos (RCCL) where the tables are next to windows with a view.

Food- Excellent I think I got an extra desert, but don't expect seconds on lobster. Initially, they used to claim that they served a 24 oz australian lobster tail, but I was served two smaller tails. Both were cooked perfectly and ample in portion.I think my favorite thing was the Yukon Gold mash potatoes.

Supper clubs are only on Spirit and conquest class ships. That is a huge shame.

I think it is best to dine at them later on in the week. Check out the CCL menues. The food in the dining room starts off pretty good, then as the week ends, there were a couple of nights that I really wished the Victory had a supper club. In fact, I feel so strongly about this, that the next CCL ship I go on will have a supper club!

Archived