Dog Sledding in Juneau

cruisingrus

There are several companies in Juneau that offer dog sledding. I dont know which one to use. Has anyone used a company this year that is worth recommending? Any input would be gladly appreciated.

As a former resident of Juneau. I would not even recommend the overpriced dog sledding tour. You could take two, three or four other tours on the cruise for the equivalent price. But as we will probably read shortly, I will undoubtedly be flamed and a minority of one. "After all, it is the cruise of a lifetime."

There are several companies in Juneau that offer dog sledding. I dont know which one to use. Has anyone used a company this year that is worth recommending? Any input would be gladly appreciated.

There r tours in Skagway that have dog sled tours incorporated in them but don't include an actual ride. I decided I wasn't interested in the ride part anyway......just the informative part and dog/puppy interaction.

From my research I think they all offers very similar experience. It is a very pricey tour and as another poster said very un-natural. If you have your heart set on it, be aware due to the elevation of the tour it can be canceled often so have alternative plans.

All that being said, I did do this out of skagway, it was sticker shock :eek: but well worth the smiles and fun we had :D

Well, I guess I will have to but in again....:) I personally think that dog sled tours are amazing....and yes, I will admit that I am biased as my dogs are spending their summer vacation on the Herbert Glacier in Juneau....taking tourists for rides....Dogs Sled rides are quite similar...A Musher and rider or riders on a sled being pulled by dogs....It is the closest thing to see what winter is like here....and the beauty and the excitement of how much the dogs love their jobs...as well as the mushers.....Yes, it is cancelled frequently....but why would anyone want to risk flying in a helicopter in bad weather? Not me....Not my dogs either....I really like Coastal Helicopters. They work privately and not with the cruise ship companies....you can google the company....It uses high time pilots and the mushers who do the tours...almost all are Iditarod or Yukon Quest finishers...they speak several languages among them...which can be very helpful....German, English...of course...French, Spanish, Czech, Polish..They love to tell their story...The will have pups...and I think they have some of the best sled dogs in the world.....Mine.....If you choose Coastal....Give Boudreaux, Clover, Harley and the rest of the gang a big hug and a kiss from their Mom....The dogs are Quest finishers or Iditarod finishers also....

There r tours in Skagway that have dog sled tours incorporated in them but don't include an actual ride. I decided I wasn't interested in the ride part anyway......just the informative part and dog/puppy interaction.

The Ship Contracted, ground Dog Sled tour out of Skagway, does include a cart ride. What vendor are you referring to? There didn't use to be any others.

There are only three vendors on the Inside Passage who offer the glacier dog sled tours. All are well established long runing vendors. These are available out of Juneau and Skagway. Always have alternative plans in mind and ready phone numbers, since this tour is the most canceled in Alaska. :)

Went last year in Skagway and it was AMAZING! The dogs love it and it's fun to see them so excited. Tip I was told was to book the trip early in the morning and if that one gets canceled things may clear by later in the day and they'll move you.

We were moved to late afternoon and I was so afraid it would be cancelled due to high winds, but they said that didn't affect the trip, so off we went. There was fog on the glacier so we landed below the dogs and were shuttled up in some kind of snow transport, which was a trip.

To me it was worth the money to do it once, great memory!

We went with Temsco out of Juneau a few years ago and it was an amazing day, both the experience and the weather. I was skeptical because of the price, but my GF talked me into it and I really enjoyed it. It was a great time and something I will most likely only ever do once so it was worth it.

We have 2 kids and grandma joining us for this trip. I can't justify the $3K ($599x5) that NCL wants for the trip with the heli and dog sled. Maybe I'll try to talk the wife into just taking the 9 year old so that those 2 can enjoy it. I've found some of these available in Ankcorage selling for as little as $409 and doing a 2-for-1 so the smartest move might be simply to put this one off until we can spend time further north where the rates are more "reasonable"?

We have 2 kids and grandma joining us for this trip. I can't justify the $3K ($599x5) that NCL wants for the trip with the heli and dog sled. Maybe I'll try to talk the wife into just taking the 9 year old so that those 2 can enjoy it. I've found some of these available in Ankcorage selling for as little as $409 and doing a 2-for-1 so the smartest move might be simply to put this one off until we can spend time further north where the rates are more "reasonable"?

IF the 2 for 1 is still available out of Seward, You need to book it immediately. It won't stick around.

Archived