Bumped.

Does one even need to give a reason when booking a cabin that is classified as HC? What if the first person has a valid reason for HC cabin, but wants to be private about it?

In asking for a verbal okay, is it not a case of Carnival checking if you did indeed have a valid reason for needing the HC cabin in the first place -before bumping your cabin to a non-HC? Probably better than having you arrive at the check-in counter with a truly HC cabin need, and they look like idiots when they bumped the HC to a non-HC, i.e. now they have moved the (private) truly HC person to a non-HC cabin, to accommodate another HC person???

I booked our first Carnival cruise in March and had no idea that the cabin I booked was handicapped. There were no questions asked. When I realized that I had booked this cabin, I felt really bad and called Carnival to say that I would be glad to move to another and she told me not to worry that if they needed the cabin, they would upgrade me. Haven't gotten the call from the upgrade fairy yet.....:)

Rich people are entitled to book the suites last minute, if there are no suites one would have to surfice with a balcony. Or not go.

Geeezzz......being rich isn't a handicap AND if a person that really needs a HC cabin cannot get one because an able bodied person booked it for their own self-serving reasons....than they can't go. It's not always as easy as booking another catagory of cabin. And please don't play the they-should-have-booked-earlier card. Not everyone has the ability to book far in advance and just because a HC person books shortly before the cruise they should not have to worry about not being able to get a HC cabin if an able bodied person has it. You were warned..... so be done with it......enjoy your OV cabin and just be glad that a HC will be able to go and enjoy the same cruise that you are on.

Have a great time.

:):)

I cruise with my handicapped mom who is confined to a wheelchair. We have to book a year in advance to get a HC cabin. We can't cruise without one as she is unable to walk. There are only 20 HC cabins on the whole ship so they are in high demand. When I call Carnival and there are Able bodied & handicapped alike booked into all the HC rooms they tell me, sorry not availablie. Carnival very rarely bumps Able Bodied people out of HC cabins. Agents don't want to check each individual HC cabin to see if HC people are in it. Only when you really make a stink, call special needs and beg them, or know someone higher up in management do they check if the people booked in the HC cabin need the special amenities. I have heard of several HC people contacting John Heald as he in the only one with enough seniority to make things happen. It takes alot of work for AB to be bumped out of a HC cabin. Believe me I've tried.

I don't believe HC cabins should be booked by AB people. Only after FP or at late notice should HC cabins be opened up for anyone to book. Therefore the Cruise line can make money on the cabin.

Also, I think these cabins should go to people confined to wheelchairs and can't walk, not to people who just have a bad knee etc. These people can walk and are able to get into regular cabins and can request a shower seat for the shower. HC cabins have wider doorways, roll in showers, pull down closet bars etc that wheelchair users must have to be able to cruise. Remember a wheelchair is too wide to get thru a regular cabin door. When you are handicapped but can still walk travelling can still be done quite easily. When you are handicapped and cant walk at all that is when travelling becomes very difficult. You just can't and won't understand until you experience it or are very close to someone who does.

If there were the same number of HC cabins and regular cabins then I would say that able bodied should be able to book the HC cabins as well. However, that is not the case. There are literally hundreds of regular cabins to choose from but only around 20 HC cabins, so these cabins should be put in restricted inventory. This is partially Carnival's fault for letting anyone book them and not posting them on deck plans however, we also hope Able bodied people have enough compassion to not book HC cabins.

Some people may not agree with me and that is okay but you probably don't have a mother who can not walk and travel with either.

Thank you.

I dissagree. While I applaud CCL (& OP) for their willingness to accomodate HC passanger, I don't think any reasonable person can assume that people will be so accomodating 2 weeks prior to sail time. I don't think that's arrogant at all.

I have to disagree. Handicap people or their companions, like other people, sometimes get unexpected time off and it makes sense to accomodate them if possible.

Able bodied people who book handicap cabins are usually warned that they may be asked to move and are usually offered better cabins if they are asked to do so making it a win/win situation.

And, in fact, unless something has changed handican cabins on Carnival are not all that great. Unlike other cruiselines, they are not much bigger than other cabins. What is bigger is the bathroom, but you lose the storage under the sink and sometimes the roll-in shower leaks.

I have to disagree. Handicap people or their companions, like other people, sometimes get unexpected time off and it makes sense to accomodate them if possible.

Able bodied people who book handicap cabins are usually warned that they may be asked to move and are usually offered better cabins if they are asked to do so making it a win/win situation.

And, in fact, unless something has changed handican cabins on Carnival are not all that great. Unlike other cruiselines, they are not much bigger than other cabins. What is bigger is the bathroom, but you lose the storage under the sink and sometimes the roll-in shower leaks.

It was the location, and interior price with a window 4J. I would venture to guess that the person booked a non hc cabin. So 1. something unexpected happened, or 2. they can do without a handicap cabin if they could not get one.

Again to the last posters, I am done with it. In fact I never began with it. I wasnt mad, just posting an experience I had with Carnival on a forum about Carnival.

It was the location, and interior price with a window 4J. I would venture to guess that the person booked a non hc cabin. So 1. something unexpected happened, or 2. they can do without a handicap cabin if they could not get one.

Again to the last posters, I am done with it. In fact I never began with it. I wasnt mad, just posting an experience I had with Carnival on a forum about Carnival.

So sorry your innocent post took such a downturn and into rants by some readers. I thought it was decent to give up the cabin. We never knew the reason a request was made by Carnival, it might have been as simple as a cabin swap. It might not have been a demand by the booking party so close to sailing. If it had been a demand, it would have been upsetting, but the fact is, no one knows why the swap was initiated in the first place.

I asked my TA about 4J rooms, and he said "By rule (and kind of by law), any HC cabins available, should be available for anyone to reserve, regardless of disability type". I don't know if he meant that they are available to those without a disability or that HC rooms are available for any disability, not just those in a wheelchair.

Yes that is any disability not just wheelchair. My husband and I were booked into a HC cabin when we choose a french door cabin because my TA knew my husband had a disability. (we did NOT ask for an HC room) Well was I pissed when I got there and it was an HC OV instead of the french door cabin (carnivals map did not show the HC was only OV at the time.. it does NOW) I specifically asked for BECAUSE of his disability! (brain injury he wanted some open air) Needless to say I am not booking with her again! She should have ASKED!

Category 4J. Interior with picture window. (walkway view)

This category cabin is available on the Dream, Conquest, Triumph, Splendor and Sunshine class of ship. HC Accessible cabin # in Red

Dream Class

Breeze, Magic, Dream

Cabin #,… HC Accessible,…… Beds,……..Max Occupancy

10201 Yes Twins or King 4

10202 Yes Twins or King 4

10203 Yes Twins or King 4

10204 Yes Twins or King 4

10205 No Twins or King 2

10206 No Twins or king 2

9201 No Twins or King 2

9202 Yes Twins or King 2

9203 Yes Twins or King 2

7201 No Twins or King 2

7202 No Twins or King 2

7203 No Twins or King 2

7204 No Twins or King 2

7205 No Twins or King 2

7206 No Twins or King 2

7207 Yes Twins Only 2

7208 Yes Twins Only 2

6201 No Twins or King 2

6202 No Twins or King 2

6203 No Twins or King 2

6204 No Twins or King 2

6205 No Twins or King 2

6206 No Twins or King 2

Conquest Class

Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty and Freedom

1001 Yes Twins or King 4* (Conquest 3)

1002 Yes Twins or King 4

1003 Yes Twins Only 2

1004 Yes Twins Only 2

9201 No Twins or King 2

9202 Yes Twins or King 2

9203 Yes Twins or King 2

7201 No Twins or King 2

7202 No Twins or King 2

7203 No Twins or King 2

7204 No Twins or King 2

7205 Yes Twins Only 2

7206 Yes Twins Only 2

6201 No Twins or King 2

6202 No Twins or King 2

6203 No Twins or King 2

6204 No Twins or King 2

6205 Yes Twins Only 2

6206 Yes Twins Only 2

Triumph Class

Triumph, Victory

1001 Yes Twins or King 4

1002 Yes Twins or King 4

1003 Yes Twins or King 2

1004 Yes Twins or King 2

9201 No Twins or King 2

9202 No Twins or King 2

9203 No Twins or King 2

7201 No Twins or King 2

7202 No Twins or King 2

7203 Yes Twins or King 2

7204 Yes Twins or King 2

7205 Yes Twins Only 2

7206 Yes Twins Only 2

6201 No Twins or King 2

6202 No Twins or King 2

6203 No Twins or King 2

6204 No Twins or King 2

6205 Yes Twins Only 2

6206 Yes Twins Only 2

Splendor Class

Splendor

9201 No Twins or King 2

9202 Yes Twins or King 2

9203 Yes Twins or King 2

7201 No Twins or King 2

7202 No Twins or King 2

7203 No Twins or King 2

7204 No Twins or King 2

7205 Yes Twins Only 2

7206 Yes Twins Only 2

6201 No Twins or King 2

6202 No Twins or King 2

6203 No Twins or King 2

6204 No Twins or King 2

6205 Yes Twins Only 2

6206 Yes Twins Only 2

Sunshine Class

Sunshine

7101 No Twins or King 2

7102 No Twins or King 2

7103 Yes Twins or King 2

7104 Yes Twins or King 2

7105 Yes Twins Only 2

7106 Yes Twins Only 2

6101 No Twins or King 2

6102 No Twins or King 2

6103 No Twins or King 2

6104 No Twins or King 2

6105 Yes Twins Only 2

6106 Yes Twins Only 2

They do tell you, and it is 2 weeks weeks till sailing. Not to be a jerk but someone booking a cruise 2 weeks out and expecting a certain room is asking a lot, handicap or not.

Who is to say this person is not newly needing a HC room and has been booked longer than you have?

I think if you don't need a HC room and someone does it should not matter. The HC room is needed for someone with an hc.

I understand it is frustrating to have to get another cabin and the change but you were very kind to say 'yes' seeing how they really didn't have to ask.

I just have to say - sometimes people do book well in advance but don't need an HC cabin at the time of booking.

Last year, my family of 21 took a cruise on Princess. We booked about 10 months in advance. At the time, my dad used a walker, but he and Mom felt they could get by without an HC cabin, and that it was more important to be on the same deck as the rest of the family.

Then, 6 weeks before the cruise, Dad had a stroke that affected the part of his brain that controlled balance. He could use a walker for short periods, but he needed a wheelchair most of the time. He was in the hospital for a while, but when he came home we determined that he really needed an HC cabin in order to take the cruise. We had 6 cabins booked, so it's not like the whole family could just cancel. Mom called to see if any HC cabins were still available, and we were in luck! They still had 2 on the Lido deck. Princess was very helpful in allowing Dad to move into an HC cabin and moved another family member into his original cabin. It sounds like Carnival doesn't have a very good system for reserving HC cabins for the people who actually need them. I'm so glad we were booked on Princess and not Carnival last year. It's no longer an issue for our family, as Dad passed away last month. :(

I just have to say - sometimes people do book well in advance but don't need an HC cabin at the time of booking.

Last year, my family of 21 took a cruise on Princess. We booked about 10 months in advance. At the time, my dad used a walker, but he and Mom felt they could get by without an HC cabin, and that it was more important to be on the same deck as the rest of the family.

Then, 6 weeks before the cruise, Dad had a stroke that affected the part of his brain that controlled balance. He could use a walker for short periods, but he needed a wheelchair most of the time. He was in the hospital for a while, but when he came home we determined that he really needed an HC cabin in order to take the cruise. We had 6 cabins booked, so it's not like the whole family could just cancel. Mom called to see if any HC cabins were still available, and we were in luck! They still had 2 on the Lido deck. Princess was very helpful in allowing Dad to move into an HC cabin and moved another family member into his original cabin. It sounds like Carnival doesn't have a very good system for reserving HC cabins for the people who actually need them. I'm so glad we were booked on Princess and not Carnival last year. It's no longer an issue for our family, as Dad passed away last month. :(

Glad things worked out for you in your time of need. But....we will not know WHY Princess had those cabins available that close to sailing. Princess is still part of Carnival, so why such a difference in availability?

Depends on which HC cabins... there are 3 levels. some are only for wheelchairs .. all the way to what they call modified.

My sister is on a cane or walker, and has seizures and has balance issues, and my PVP said because she is not in a wheelchair she could be bumped from a wheelchair cabin, without our permission (thats why I was so surprised that OP said they needed his permission).

We were debating paying extra to upgrade to a HC cabin or keep what we had booked, and thats why we were discussing it with my PVP and she did say we could be bumped, so we did not pay the upgrade price.

This is exactly what I have been told by my PVP. Unless you state you're bringing a WC, you cannot book without possibility of being bumped from certain HC cabins. I sympathize with those confined to WCs but many people are mobile but unable to easily access the raised bathroom door. IMO it'd be a difficult call to receive being told they can't cruise (even if they booked far in advance) despite being unable to navigate their new cabin.:( Perhaps they'll address this issue on new ships' designs. Several lines used to require medical certification when booking an accessible cabins but have gotten away from it due to challenges under the ADA act. Self-certification seems to be more common now and it's up to the individual to indicate exactly what their needs are as to accessibility when booking and just hope you don't get bumped from the appropriate cabin.

My husband is an incomplete paraplegic. Which means he has a small amount of mobility. We booked a hc balcony room once. The room was the same size as the regular rooms. The room was smaller but the bathroom was bigger. The roll in shower leaked into the room rug all the time. Because he can walk a few feet with braces we decided to try an aft wrap around the next time. We rented a scooter and used his manual wheelchair. I would just fold up the wheelchair to get it into room. The scooter fit thru the regular size door. He had a seat in the shower. It worked so well we are doing btb aft wrap around rooms next september.

So remember that a scooter can be an option for a regular room.

I'm so very very sorry about your Dad...my condolences

From what I gather...#1 The OP is fine with it (BRAVO to the OP for being kind and making it easy on everyone involved). #2 I'm betting Carnival has their "time limits". If they have cabins available they can move the person to that's better or comparable (as is pretty much the same but not handicap) up to a certian date they'll move you involuntarily...after a certian date...they ask and try to work something out with you. It goes along with booking a cabin of that caliber. In this case they "asked" BRAVO Carnival #3. Sometimes things happen and rather than cancel or reschedule a cruise it's possible the afflicted individual does something simple...they "ask"...asking does not in any way constitute...a "demand"...it's simply a "question". #4 Who knows...if the OP said "NO" two weeks before the booking perhaps this persons rep would have told the HC person "no more cabins" are available...we don't know. #5 Sailing on a full ship is more profitable for everyone. #6 An able bodied person can handle ANY cabin a handicapped person is limited to maybe 20. There's enough challenges in their lives getting a cabin that suits their NEEDS seems miniscule.

I kinda see it like having 10 bathroom stalls one being handicapped. An able bodied person uses the handicapped stall because they like the bigger one, maybe even brings in children. The 9 other stalls are empty. Someone rolls in using a wheelchair. There is only ONE stall she can use...hmmm...

Archived